It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soccer Is Part of the Globalist Agenda to Destroy America.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 07:59 PM
link   
You ever been to an FCC game? It’s a lot of fun actually. Jeff Berding is doing it right.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I'm not being completely serious, just a bit of banter.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Every soccer player more or less learns the same set of skills -- all with their feet. 

Not really.

That statement is as true as me saying American football is rugby for pansies. Actually yeah you might be right...

Disclaimer

I used to play football a lot when I was younger, took me years to get good at it. I was a decent goalkeeper, defender and a talented winger before I stopped playing. Rugby, baseball, basketball and a couple of other sports I picked up very easily. Loved rugby despite being 8-9 stone, I was fast and could jump... Don't need to be a fatty to stick someone on their arse.

Back to football though, the only other sport I played that required as much skill and dedication to learn was tennis. I was terrible at it.

Good football/soccer is a form of art, it's as tactical as chess and requires a lot of skill and dedication to play even half decently.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Ah, you may have picked those other sports up, but were you actually good at them in the same sense you were good at soccer?

I would hazard a guess that most people who are truly good at a sport are going to say there is more to it than to most other sports they played recreationally. I'd say there's a lot more to track and field, for example, than a lot of people think. Far more nuance and strategy, far more technique involved than simply going out on the track and running fast, but I also reached a fairly elite level with it too.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 03:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Assassin82
You ever been to an FCC game? It’s a lot of fun actually. Jeff Berding is doing it right.

My wife and daughter have been to games, but I wouldn’t be caught dead attending a soccer game. I don’t want to give my tacit approval of soccer or provide it any financial support by buying a ticket.

When I think how cool it would be to have the NHL or NBA in Cincinnati it makes me sad to think we got stuck with FCC instead.

edit on 2019/2/7 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Obviously there's more to every sport, to the untrained and uneducated boxing is just two people slugging it out with a ref stopping them from kicking and biting etc.

Just like there's a lot more to soccer, hell you can be amazing at it in training and casual games then fumble at the pressure of a official game. There's a lot more to it than kicking a ball around for 90 minutes.

Yeah I was pretty good at those sports, did I go professional?

No.

But then again all the kids who went professional within their respective sports were terrible at them in school/college... They stuck in, the cool kids found alcohol and females and other stuff too. But that's drifting off topic.

The key to many sports is keeping composure whilst outlasting the others. In many ways a lot like sex. Raw talent, power or stamina are useless against a professional, you genuinely need to know what you're doing to play a good game.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Try playing it with people who actually play, it's a good sport just try not to break any windows when you peggy end the ball and try not to snap legs when you get all frustrated because it's genuinely not as simple as hitting a ball with your foot.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Right, but my question is this:

Are the ball skills a defender uses in soccer different from the ones a wing will use? Or do they basically use the same ball skills but put to a different positional strategy?

That's more what I meant about football position players being more diverse. The skills a running back uses are different than the skills a wide receiver will use in most cases.

How hard is it for a soccer defender to shift position? Is it a matter of having to pick up a whole new set of ball skills or more a matter of learning a new position strategy? In American football, it can often mean both.

I view soccer more like basketball in the sense that all the players need to learn the same base set of skills: dribbling, shooting, defending, etc., but then their position ends up based both on their relative size (most post players are going to be really tall) and strength with those skills (guards will often be shorter but very quick and adept at dribbling). In American football, they specialize so much that some players don't really have or need to have some of those skills at all.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Umm, American Football? As others have stated, grown men in tights slapping each other's bums. Talk about in the closet! Plus it takes soooooo long to watch the damn games - you could literally build Trump his wall single handed before anything of interest happens......

As to Basketball, why is that so popular over there? It is netball with a bit more movement and a bit of ball bouncing. And it is big dudes........but non contact! What a bunch of jessies........

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

That's more what I meant about football position players being more diverse. The skills a running back uses are different than the skills a wide receiver will use in most cases.

Running, avoiding, catching? Or do you mean they have excellent typing skills and are a wizz with Excel?

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian

Running, avoiding, catching? Or do you mean they have excellent typing skills and are a wizz with Excel?

Running backs have to be better at running but also more agile and able to accelerate more quickly. They run through the line of scrimmage with more people trying to tackle them than a wide receiver typically does. They also have to carry more muscle mass for that reason while not losing that speed and explosiveness. They also have to have great ability to hang on to the ball. You will find running backs who can catch passes, but they are rarely going to be very long passes, and it's certainly not the focus of a running back's job.

Wide receiver is all about the catching passes at any distance and the open field speed. Find pictures of guys making spectacular one-handed grabs, and they're typically wide receivers. He can be very very fast, but he doesn't have to be as agile as the running back, nor does he need to carry the same amount of muscle mass because he typically isn't going to be catching in the middle of as much traffic.

Line the two up side by side, and you can usually tell which is which by looking at them. Can you do the same with soccer players? You know ... differentiate which one is going to play goalie from wing from defender?

That's what I mean about specialized. It's not a knock on soccer players only a acknowledgement of the different demands of the game. Would you be hostile if I told you that you can line up track athletes and do the same? You know, separate the distance runners from the throwers from the high jumper from the sprinters? I bet not, but this notion offends you when I point it out about American football.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Offends me? Whyever would you think that? I was simply querying the "different skill sets" bit. And still am, despite your explanation. To me, they are simply variations of the same skill sets rather than differing skill sets.

I really don't get the love for American Football though. And more, why Americans can't get behing Rugby (given the love of US Football)? Rugby is a much more manly game.......

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: Assassin82

My wife and daughter have been to games, but I wouldn’t be caught dead attending a soccer game. I don’t want to give my tacit approval of soccer or provide it any financial support by buying a ticket.

When I think how cool it would be to have the NHL or NBA in Cincinnati it makes me sad to think we got stuck with FCC instead.

So you refuse to try something yet adamantly oppose it.

I used to hate mustard. Hated it, despised it, looked at people who put it on a sandwich as intellectually deprived burdens to society. Then, one day, I tried it. Loved it. Goes on every sandwich now.

I used to hate soccer. Then I watched the 2008 World Cup. Wasn’t so bad. Started following the big events and big games. It was decent. Took my family to a US vs Guatemala upnin Columbu. Great time! And the couple games I’ve seen at Nippert...total blast!

Just saying, have an open mind and try it out. It’s not that bad. Plus, they sell beer!

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Assassin82

I used to play soccer. As I said, lots of fun to play, but not much fun to watch.

I used to hate football, then I played some flag ball and some playstation ball, and got an appreciation for the underlying strategy of offense and defense and how plays worked. That's when I started appreciate it as a spectator.

The biggest problem with soccer is that there just seems to be little emotional payoff for a spectator. Games are low-scoring which would be fine except they can then end in a tie which really forces that lack of emotional payoff.

Look at the Super Bowl -- low scoring game = boring to most people. Of course, I enjoy watching a good defensive battle, so I likely would have found it interesting on those grounds had I watched (neither team was my team, so I ignored it). And they are steadily sabotaging the game by introducing an ever higher number of penalties and reviews making the game progress slower all the time.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 11:03 AM
link   

I used to play soccer. As I said, lots of fun to play, but not much fun to watch.

I used to hate football, then I played some flag ball and some playstation ball, and got an appreciation for the underlying strategy of offense and defense and how plays worked. That's when I started appreciate it as a spectator.

The biggest problem with soccer is that there just seems to be little emotional payoff for a spectator. Games are low-scoring which would be fine except they can then end in a tie which really forces that lack of emotional payoff.

Look at the Super Bowl -- low scoring game = boring to most people. Of course, I enjoy watching a good defensive battle, so I likely would have found it interesting on those grounds had I watched (neither team was my team, so I ignored it). And they are steadily sabotaging the game by introducing an ever higher number of penalties and reviews making the game progress slower all the time.

Fair points. I used to be a die hard NFL fan. Now, I can’t really enjoy the game. I’m still and always will be a Packers fan, but that’s out of love and loyalty to the team more than the game. The product bores me, the celebrations are tasteless, the refs are ruthless in the attempt to undermine the game, the league is corrupt, and most of the players lack respect for the game or society. I don’t care about the protests, but the coverage of it is off putting. And the fans...most fans of football make me cringe.

What I’ve found with soccer is it’s the environment that makes it. You’re right, waiting on an emotional response from the pitch is going to bore a person to death. But watching the flow of the game, how the teams are using strategy like a chess board to create scoring opportunities, interacting with the fans to have a self-made great time....that’s what I enjoy. In a way, and with admittedly limited experience, soccer fans are out to have a good time and entertain themselves while the game is being played. NFL fans are waiting for the game to entertain them and drunkenly fighting each other between touchdowns.

I’ve been to a few games here in Cincinnati. I’ll never go back. Not because of the team, or the prices, or anything other than the fans. It was embarrassing to be a part of. But I will go back to FCCincinnati games. I’ve only had a blast there and it’s all because of the atmosphere the fans and the team bring with them.
edit on 7-2-2019 by Assassin82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   

In essence yes of course the ball skills are similar to all players except the goalkeeper. There's only so much you can do with feet and a ball.

But there's clearly a lot more to the positions, for instance a defender might be tasked with player marking or holding a tight formation, being in relative positions when the opponent team makes certain plays. Those skills become rather useless when you're a winger except in certain circumstances, since usually the goal if a winger is to move into space, run up the wing and deliver the ball into the opposing box for a striker (ideally) to attempt a goal.

That's actually the more beautiful aspect of the game, seeing the tactics that can vary so much be played against each other despite everyone using 'the same skill sets'.

I agree with you on not watching it though, that's mainly because it can be a tad bit stressful watching a game from an advantageous view whilst players are on the pitch... It's easy to think you can do better or somehow they're idiots for not playing to your liking.

Comparing American football to actual football is like comparing apples and oranges

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 04:45 PM
link   

So you refuse to try something yet adamantly oppose it.

I played on a soccer team as a child. Then I found baseball, football and basketbsll which were much more fun to play.
edit on 2019/2/7 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

As to Basketball, why is that so popular over there? It is netball with a bit more movement and a bit of ball bouncing. And it is big dudes........but non contact! What a bunch of jessies........

If you think basketball is non-contact you are doing it wrong. It is by far my favorite sport to play and I am a high school softball coach. Plus, basketball is a fast-paced, high scoring, fully American sport which fits our culture so it is much easier for Americans to identify with.
edit on 2019/2/7 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Soccer is great. Fun to play, fun to watch. Requires great skill but easy to understand concepts.
Talk about boring sports? Baseball, basketball, golf, tennis...

There's no conspiracy in this you just don't LIKE something. Easy now.

posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Soccer doesn't require more skill at a high level get over yourself. All these professional sports require a lot of skill and talent. To argue soccer requires more or less skill than NFL is like saying "blue is stronger than red"

Sounds like children arguements lol.

a reply to: alldaylong

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join