It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are The E.U. Panicking Or Just Getting Nasty ?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

Oh and the fact he was voted in shows he's wrong about them being unelected, he was part of them

Farage had to to be elected into an existing system. Maybe it's the electoral system that needs to be changed. Actually yes it is. Farage can only try and destroy from within.

I am sure if he had the power to demolish the lot of them then he certainly would.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro
Bloody hypocrite. Oh and the fact he was voted in shows he's wrong about them being unelected, he was part of them!

I am no fan of Farage, but why's he a hypocrite for taking what's due? Part of the problem with the EU are the lavish salaries and opaque expenses and lobbying that goes on.

Besides, I don't think people are saying Farage is unelected - because clearly he has been elected to the EU Parliament. People probably allude to other parts of the EU that seem to run on nepotism and cronyism. Juncker was elected, but there was only his name on the ballot paper - sort of Soviet, or Chinese democracy, eh?

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Great to see the dont know what you voted for brigade is out, we all knew exactly what we were voting for. there is one big elephant in the room which remainers cannot seem to grasp, they mock the brexit idea of real democracy yet they have no idea themselves how the EU parliament works.

In Britain we vote MPs directly into seats, these MPs have the power to table laws and motions that are then put to a vote by elected MPs, hence the name "lawmakers" We can vote these people out directly in many ways including by elections and general elections

In contast the unelected EU Commission tables laws (Diktats)in secret with no minutes allowed to be taken. These laws are then passed to the elected parliament to vote on. This means no individual Euro MP has any lawmaking powers whatsoever, It also means that we cannot directly vote out these lawmakers. This is a massive affront to any western democracy that we have fought and lost so much for.

Also nobody can say that the EU has "given" us any money towards anything, its OUR money we pay more in than we recieve, simple maths.

There are many reasons why i voted leave but the idea opf living in a soviet style empire scares the hell out of me.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: ukallday

Very well said. Have a

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

So you guys can't produce enough food on your own and now the exporting "farmers 4 Britons" in France (and elsewhere) are running in circles while pondering the possible increase of tariffs? Way to make my point, innit?

And no, farmers facing a somewhat existential thread to their businesses isn't even close to Europe in panic mode. Our entire food market relies on exploitation of refugees and/or temp work in a low wage sector, and it wont be sustainable in the long run, either.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

existential thread

Yes, there are quite a few of those on ATS.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

Well. The grammar nazi submarine threat should stay on top of the list, of course. Tea?

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

Milk, two sugars, please!

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: PublicOpinion
a reply to: alldaylong

So you guys can't produce enough food on your own and now the exporting "farmers 4 Britons" in France (and elsewhere) are running in circles while pondering the possible increase of tariffs? Way to make my point, innit?

And no, farmers facing a somewhat existential thread to their businesses isn't even close to Europe in panic mode. Our entire food market relies on exploitation of refugees and/or temp work in a low wage sector, and it wont be sustainable in the long run, either.

Man, if only there were other countries that could export ag products to the Uk instead of having to buy from within the EU... The EU protectionist bloc is crumbling. It's very sad for the EU, but don't think anyone else outside will shed many tears.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert
Man, if only there were other countries that could export ag products to the Uk instead of having to buy from within the EU... The EU protectionist bloc is crumbling. It's very sad for the EU, but don't think anyone else outside will shed many tears.

Food production is complicated. The UK has not been self-sufficient in food production for hundreds of years, bt for the EU this is a double-edged sword. Spanish orange growers and Dutch tomato growers depend on the UK Market, as does Danish pork and a whole host of different interests. The Irish are especially vulnerable. The UK exports things like lamb and other produce.

Now here's the rub... Almost all of the food produced in the EU is produced elsewhere in the world - and would be cheaper. Tomatoes from Turkey, or oranges from Brazil. Given time, it is possible that the UK could source cheaper, but as good quality, from elsewhere in the world.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

bingo - complex - only starts to descrice it

but the current situation = :

50% indiginous
30 % EU import
20% rest of world import

the EU is not " food sufficient " iether - every other country has " rest of world " imports

the " complex " part is that the UK - has not got the diversity

ie - we export significant quantities of alchalol [ mainly higer price whiskey ] , salmon and cheese - to the EU and rest of world .

brexit - will not change the number of portins required per day - in either the UK or the EU

nor ill it affect food production [ unless policy dictates changes ]

the EU will have to find a market for all it exports to the UK - and that will partly reduce its foreign imports [ who will in turn need to find a new market - guess who ?????????? ]

the only casualty - ill be diversity and year round availiability of " seasonal crops "

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

It takes time to solidify markets and trade agreements. If the UK buys product X from the US or Brazil instead of Spain and France, then Brazil/US needs to expand ag to meet the demand (takes time) OR the people who bought product X from the US/Brazil to date will have to find surplus somewhere else (like where Spain and France have a newfound surplus).
It takes time for all that to sort out, but there isn't a preexisting giant surplus of most products because noone likes to grow crops for which there is no customer. Now selling product X to those other customers may not be as profitable as the UK market was while they were EU members, but the market is ever shifting. They'll have to find out what makes sense for themselves in France and Spain if that happens. It could mean smaller production.
As the end customer/consumer England is less effected and the effects are reasonably short-term until new trade lines establish.
If the EU taxes English imports (lamb, etc) then the shoe is on the other foot for that particular market. England has to find the underserved market for lamb short-term and reevaluate long-term looks.

It could well be they make an agreement that renders it all moot, as good trade deals do. I'll commit to your production, if you commit to mine. Or they find other dance partners. My guess is England has the upper hand because of the imbalance of trade.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   
The Daily Fail just can't help itself.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

What messed up view of the EU do people have? Enlighten me?

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Hey, I voted to stay, I have no beef whatsoever with the EU.

Westminster on the other hand. Don't get me started.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Perhaps you should read this and any other Brexit thread in this here forum. I'm sure you will be truly enlightened.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

Would be more interesting if you had half an idea of what you are talking about.

The reasons you've given are the reasons almost everyone who voted to leave (and certainly on ATS) are nothing to do with the pathetic ones you put forward.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
a reply to: uncommitted

Why is he interfering?

Are you seriously asking that question after reading his comments?

Oh dear.

Now answer why you aren't holding Johnson and Reese Mogg to the same account? You aren't going to are you? You are rather similar to them though in a way, you make a comment that you then can't actually back up and use where it doesn't suit you.

Oh dear

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat
a reply to: uncommitted

Why not exactly?

There could be 2 or 100 members in the EU and it wouldn't change the math on common decency.

The situation is not ideal for all involved; the question is how does the EU rise to the occasion?

The EU can prove they are a body worth being a part of; by showing that even in the face of adversity they rise above it and work for the greater good and long term stability of Europe. Letting the you UK leave with a "Sorry to see you go, here are concessions, and we sure hope you return one day and our good will is a down payment on that hope".

Or the EU can prove they are an autocratic bureaucracy worth running away from; by showing that in the face of adversity they are willing to sacrifice relationship with one of the major countries of Europe currently and historically just so they can gloat they got the best deal for the members that are remaining. Letting the UK leave with a "Don't let the door hit your @ss on the way out."

I'm sorry, that's extremely naive. You again don't seem to get that the EU has the interests of the countries that are remaining in it as their interest.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Ahhh ok so no substance then, care to tell me your thoughts on the way the EU parliament functions, do you believe it to be democratic? What are your thoughts on the common defence policy do you think it's a positive thing for Europe? Also 1 4 million people voted leave over remain that's a city the size of Birmingham plus another 400000 just to put the majority in perspective.
edit on 7-2-2019 by ukallday because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join