It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Trump 2019 State of the Union Address

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: narrator

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: narrator

💥😆💥

I'll never understand how you get away with so many one-line responses, and responses that don't even contain words, and not get called out for posts that don't add anything to the conversation. It baffles me how many posts get removed, yet yours always remain.

Hence why I always ignore what you post. It adds nothing to the conversation.

Except this one time?
Contradiction much?

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

💥😆💥

I'll never understand how you get away with so many one-line responses, and responses that don't even contain words, and not get called out for posts that don't add anything to the conversation. It baffles me how many posts get removed, yet yours always remain.

Except this one time?
Contradiction much?

Don't interject. Contradiction much?

It's really no fun talking with you. You're so abrasive that it takes all the fun out of the discussion. Since I try to avoid doing things that aren't fun with my spare time, I'm going to see myself out of this conversation, as I see nothing worthwhile coming from it.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 11:57 AM
link   

💥😆💥

Except this one time?
Contradiction much?

I'm going to see myself out of this conversation

I think that's for the best, given you can't be objective.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

💥😆💥

Except this one time?
Contradiction much?

Are you being objective? It doesn't seem like it at all.

But you're right, none of us are ever going to find common ground on this topic, so I'm going to stop trying. It's not worth the effort.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 12:02 PM
link   

I hope that you aren't like this in real life. Relax dude.

I'm going to see myself out of this conversatio

Bless your heart!

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   

💥😆💥

Except this one time?
Contradiction much?

Are you being objective? It doesn't seem like it at all.

But you're right, none of us are ever going to find common ground on this topic, so I'm going to stop trying. It's not worth the effort.

Yeah, I was.
It was a great speech, delivered OK, with the caveat I already mentioned.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Post 666 Orange Man Bad!

That is all

edit on 7-2-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

It is my opinion - I was wondering what kind of panty bunching it would cause

Not like I didn't already know - though your post seems to be pretty respectful

I didn't actually out myself by the way. I'm always pretty up front about what I see

edit on 2/7/2019 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

That all you got? It's funny, I can't be the only one that noticed?

Things being what they are these days, I suppose I do need a little help. I've been looking for love in all the wrong places - but I knew what I was getting into when I stepped in this thread

:-)

Word to your Motherland UK

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: highvein

You must be refering to when he talked about the holocaust survivor that was saved by the soldier sitting next to him.

History never repeats itself exactly now does it? New props for the dawning of a new age

As it were

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I don't think Spiramirabilis was saying "it wasn't a good speech because I hate Trump", they were just saying "it wasn't a good speech".

Exactly right narrator. It was the Dick and Jane version of some uglier kinds of rhetoric

But, then, also - not crazy about Trump

(hate is a debilitating and ugly emotion) :-)

So much to say, but I'll agree with your post and just say - some people may have liked what he said (a lot), but he didn't say it very well. In my opinion

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

So much to say, but I'll agree with your post and just say - some people may have liked what he said (a lot), but he didn't say it very well. In my opinion

I think he did rather well in his speech, and speaking in front of a crowed is one of his strengths as he has the ability to talk to and not down to the audience while adding little personal points off script that typically shows empathy to the audience, even one that has a good number of hostile people in attendance, so I am interested in where did you see him drop the ball so to speak in his speech?

I'm not talking about his tweets which are 180 degree off from his public speaking.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Well there's only so many ways I can say it

It reached his audience - so good job Donny. His audience is pretty easy to please, but still

As far as speeches go - I thought it sucked

It's not about dropping the ball - it's about forgetting to bring the ball in the first place. I seriously wouldn't even know where to start

It served it's purpose - we'll just have to leave it at that and chalk this up to a difference in taste Xtrozero

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 01:38 PM
link   

It's not about dropping the ball - it's about forgetting to bring the ball in the first place. I seriously wouldn't even know where to start

It served it's purpose - we'll just have to leave it at that and chalk this up to a difference in taste Xtrozero

I think you might be in the minority on that as we see that high 70% liked it and high 50% extremely liked it and this goes beyond just liking the content. High 70% is crazy in this day and age as the country is 50/50 and that 50/50 is no longer moderate as it was a few decades ago.

What we are talking about here is even non-moderate liberals liked his speech and not in small numbers. If we removed the Orange Man Bad group of the far left these are extremely favorable numbers at levels not seen in a while... Obama's last address was 31 million viewers and only 55% approval with much of the 31 million most likely liberals... Trump had 46 million and 76% approval and this is closer to Obama's first SOTU which was history in the making than Obama's last SOTU.

On a side note is Trump's numbers are going up and that is opposite of Obama's who saw numbers continually drop as he worked through his 4 years.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Who are you trying to convince - me or you? Liking a speech still doesn't make it a good speech

So - congrats on the numbers (though we could still argue about those)

I thought the speech sucked. Nothing you say is going to change my mind

I would like to say I don't understand why it's so important to you - but I kinda do

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

What parts of the speech didn't you like?
What was missing that you feel should have been addressed?

We're there any parts of the SOTU you liked? If yes, than which things?

That's my entire point. I'm not talking about the content of the speech. I'm talking about the speech itself, not what was in it. If you were the teacher of a speech class, Trump would not have gotten an A on that speech. Regardless of the content of it, he's just not a great speaker. What he said doesn't matter for my argument, it's HOW he said it. He didn't do a good job. If you gave the exact same speech to Obama, or Jimmy Carter, or JFK, or Mike Rowe, or Joe Scarborough, take your pick, they're going to do better at giving the speech than Trump did. Trump isn't a good public speaker. That's all I'm saying.

Now, moving away from my point.

Didn't like: How he made the SOTU a bipartisan attack-fest. It's a speech to address the entire nation, but it seemed pretty obvious he only wanted to talk to the right-leaning part of the country.

Liked: How he honored the holocaust survivor and soldiers.

Mwahahahahahahaha!

It's not about ideas or content - it's all about the delivery!

As for your list of 'speakers', I've never heard anything quite so funny in a while. Joe Scarborough? Obama???? They have to be two of the worst public speakers in history! Lol

I didn't say that. The content is obviously important. What I said was, in terms of giving a speech, he didn't do that well. The content was fine, for the most part. But other people would've delivered it better than him. Just being objective.

You truly think Obama is one of the worst public speakers in history? You've really drunk the Republican kool-aid then. I'm no fan of Obama, but he's one of the best public speakers I've ever heard. Politics aside, he's a great speaker.
You can hate someone's politics and still give credit where it's due. Hitler was one of the worst humans to ever walk the earth, but the guy was a tremendous public speaker. I hate everything he stood for, but I have to credit him for being a good speaker.

As for Scarborough, I was just trying to pick out Republican speakers that could be considered good. I'm not a fan of his at all. But he does seem to have a way with words.

There is nothing objective about the point that "other people would've delivered it better than him". It's counterfactual thinking. It's also nonsensical because it's like saying Obama's speeches were not good because Abe Lincoln would have spoken them better.

The question isn't whether you are entitled to your opinion – you are – the question is whether your opinion is based on anything other than pure emotion and fantasy. Opinions can be premised on valid argument, reasoning and fairness. Or, like the claim that the speech was "too third reich-y", it can be based on ahistorical nonsense and hatred.
edit on 7-2-2019 by Aphorism because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Who are you trying to convince - me or you? Liking a speech still doesn't make it a good speech

So - congrats on the numbers (though we could still argue about those)

I thought the speech sucked. Nothing you say is going to change my mind

I would like to say I don't understand why it's so important to you - but I kinda do

No just matching your view with the numbers is all... I think it boils down to his accent and that American political delivery is different than Brit's political delivery. When I see speeches in Britain I feel the same as you do at times and for anyone who has watched debates in their Houses understands my point.

My original point was to ask what was it that you didn't like to try and understand where you are coming from... and you gave me only "it sucked", so all is good my brit friend, as you say your point is moot anyways.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   

I'm not British

:-)

Funny - thanks for that. Made me smile

His speech wasn't good in either country. But - like I've said (several times) it might just be my opinion

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 04:20 PM
link   

It reached his audience - so good job Donny. His audience is pretty easy to please, but still

I didn't watch it (im not following politics lately, more important things to do), but i will point out that 100% of all speeches given by politicians only inspires their base. Political discourse, be it monologue or dialogue, is only intended to affirm bias, not win hearts and minds.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Thanks, that's a better way of putting it. I was arguing the same angle. It just wasn't a good speech. It worked for his base, but addressing the entire nation (not just repubs)...it was lacking, to put it mildly.

<< 31  32  33    35 >>

join