It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Talking About Taxes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   
It seems that there was much talk about a flat tax but everyone seems to have abandoned the idea all together. I believe that the answer to much of the debate is a flat tax rate of 15% for people and corporations with no deductions allowed.The rate would be the max and have social security and such included. On top of that i would also include that no person could be charged tax for labor. Meaning that a person could make 100$ a day 5 days a week and not be taxed on that amount.

I personally wish we could have a better debate on taxes other than just stating that the tippy top needs to pay. What do you think? Please take time to conceptualize my proposal.

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: UncleTomahawk

I think that the tax issue is so politicized by both sides of the political spectrum that we are unlikely to ever have a real discussion on the matter with actual change being even less likely.

I agree that labor should not be taxed. Hell, our Founding Fathers didn't believe in income taxes and it took a Constitutional Amendment to make it legal.

edit on 2019/2/5 by Metallicus because: Fat Fingers

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 03:50 PM
link   

I think your idea would 'grow the pie' … which is a good thing, and probably governments would rake in higher taxes with that flat rate on the 'bigger pie'. Seems fair to me also. I hate playing the deduction game … and really, it IS a game!

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Everyone talks about taxes a lot but rarely is something done.

We are all being taxed to death.

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   

I personally wish we could have a better debate on taxes other than just stating that the tippy top needs to pay. What do you think? Please take time to conceptualize my proposal.

A flat tax for everyone (that are not on some type of welfare program) is a FAIR tax. Joe the plumber should pay the same income to tax ratio as bill gates. The key is NO deductions. Deductions are loopholes .

It should be easy for both individual democrats and republicans to get behind this.

However, the GOP and the DNC don't work for the individual democrats and republicans. They work for lobbyist and the wealthiest of individual who benefit the most from those deduction loopholes.

So neither the GOP or the DNC will really push for a fair flat uncomplicated tax system that doesn't involve 89K pages of loopholes.

The GOP and DNC set the narrative in the elections and flat tax is kept quite for the most part. The closest to a real flat tax discussion was Cain with the 9-9-9 and he got thrown to the wolves by both sides. Ross Perot also was thrown to the wolves when he talked about not sending jobs overseas and making taxes a much simpler process. Rand Paul the same.

The flat tax or removing deductions is one of the key ways for the GOP and DNC to make you public enemy number 1 in their smear campaigns.

In order to get a real push for a flat tax the individual republicans and democrats will need to put their differences on the side and work together to force the GOP and the DNC to make it a priority.
edit on 07228America/ChicagoTue, 05 Feb 2019 16:07:19 -0600000000p2842 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Also there are corporations that exist solely from the confusing tax system we have in place. hrblock and such

I always thought we would elect an outsider that would at least attempt this. maybe shultz?

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 04:20 PM
link   
It's kind of hard to get any tax reform when the people who write the laws get the money and power and benefit the most from things just the way they are, either directly or indirectly through high-powered lobbyists.

Same thing with voting reform. The fox ain't gonna vote for more locks on the henhouse.

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 04:35 PM
link   
A flat tax won't happen because it eliminates one of the reasons we have a tax system: behavior modification.

Is there something you want to encourage, but can't mandate it? Make it tax deductible. Is there something you want to discourage, but can't make it illegal? Tax it to death.

There are many other reasons why the banking cartel would never allow a flat tax.

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 04:41 PM
link   

So you want income taxes at a flat rate, but labor should be exempt from tax?

Now define what you would consider “labor” in equitable, and constitutionally supportable, terms that would absolutely ensure that that those in the upper 1% could not define at least the bulk of their incomes as the result of non-taxable “labor” under the law.
edit on 5-2-2019 by Bhadhidar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I think you just have to tax all income at a flat rate regardless of the source. So labor is taxed at 10%, same as capital gains or other investment income. Same as corporate income.

The goal is to reduce any ability to game the system. You don't want people "incorporating" to get lower rates, nor do you want them trying to reclassify income for a reduced rate.

Also, EVERYONE should have to pay. All people need skin in the game regardless of their income.

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
Is there something you want to encourage, but can't mandate it? Make it tax deductible. Is there something you want to discourage, but can't make it illegal? Tax it to death.

Hey, it worked with cigarettes. Not only did they get too expensive for a lot of people to continue smoking, even though it's supposedly super addicting, it also pushed society towards demonizing smokers as people who are weak and have low morals.

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   

So you want income taxes at a flat rate, but labor should be exempt from tax?

Yes 100$ a day 5 days a week would be the labor rate for the only exemption. In other words everything made after 100 a day is considered profit and taxed at 15% for everyone including corporations.

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 06:01 PM
link   

How about NO TAX ?

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Everyone talks about taxes a lot but rarely is something done.

We are all being taxed to death.

Not all of us, the those that afford to avoid paying taxes do just that, if the Richy rich among us paid an even share the world we be a different place.

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 06:41 PM
link   
A real discussion would be abolishing the income tax.

Instead what do we see?

Wide spread bigotry and trying in institute national discrimination.

The new 3/5's crowd.

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

How about

1. straight line depreciated interest rate on savings upto 500k, negative interest over 500k, penalizing those who are not putting back into the economy
2. 10% transaction fee on transfer of net wealth over 500k for all financial instruments including business acquisitions, inheritance, and unearned income such as investment gains converted to cash
3. no personal income tax
4. no sales tax on basic human needs -- if i am legally required to wear clothes then no tax on clothes. If i am legally required to provide shelter for my child, then no tax property or tax on the utilities. No tax on food, prepared or not.

If you have nothing left at the end of the day, you dont pay. You have done your part to contribute back into the economy. Everyone has a chance. Make that 500k, then you pay.

edit on 5-2-2019 by drewlander because: (no reason given)

join