It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan To Build Moon Base: Will There Be A Sino-Japanese Space Race

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   

TOKYO -- Japan plans to start building a manned base on the moon and a manned space shuttle within the next 20 years, a newspaper report said Monday.

Japan's space agency, JAXA, is drawing up plans to develop a robot to conduct probes on the moon by 2015, then begin constructing a solar-powered manned research base on the planet and design a reusable manned space vessel like the U.S. space shuttle by 2025, the Mainichi Shimbun said. Newsday.com

China sent up Yang Li Wei in the ShenZhou-V space capsule last year. Japan has yet to create a manned space progarm. With China's advantage in time and production capability as well as testing facilities but with Japans technology and expertise in cool gadets and what not, will this create a space race between Japan and China.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   

will this create a space race between Japan and China.

No, China racing against the Japanese who have strong ties with the United States will throw china off their pursuit of military power. As this is being discussed in about two other threads right now, China will sit back on the sidelines. Whether they sit back and wait to spy on other agencies, or sit back to improve their military, it really doesn't make much difference. So no, I don't think China will be racing Japan to the moon. Japan will get there first and build there first.

[edit on 28-2-2005 by Mayburn]

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I suppose one of them has to successfully land a guy there and then back, and THEN maybe there'll be something to debate...

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Well China has already sent a man into space. They claim its from the space program without assistance but I think one, China has had a space program for a long time but two, they did have early Russian assistance at first so...who knows.

Secondly China has already expressed plans to go to the moon. Now that Japan, China's ArchRival has expressed plans to go to the moon too it is concievable they will get into a race.

It is highly unlikely they will cooperate and no mayburn, for Chinese National Face and Pride they will not sit on the sidelines.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Of course they will race to the moon but what are they going to do with all the SS, CCCP and USA material left there? How ar they going to overcome the personell, not to mention the alien races ensconced upon and within its cratered surface? Will they start drilling for oil? Or cheese????
The strategic and explorative benefits of the moon must have been realized for a long time. It would be too amazing if no-one had begun to exploit them already. New users would have to be a member of the club to get in. Either that or take the moon by force. I cant see sharing as a long term possibility at this point in time.

[edit on 28/2/2005 by JamesBlonde]

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by JamesBlonde
Of course they will race to the moon but what are they going to do with all the SS, CCCP and USA material left there?

Are you talking about space junk?? I think they are talking about creating colonies for research purposes as well as launch pads to explore the rest of space since the Moon's gravity and atmosphere is more friendly for that kinda of work

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Of course they will race to the moon but what are they going to do with all the SS, CCCP and USA material left there? How ar they going to overcome the personell, not to mention the alien races ensconced upon and within its cratered surface? Will they start drilling for oil? Or cheese????

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
There are some that would say that we were scared away from the moon by aliens. If this is true, then how could Japan accomplish what we could not. Are they going to bring them gift baskets full of sake and Kobe beef?

Peace

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
There are some that would say that we were scared away from the moon by aliens. If this is true, then how could Japan accomplish what we could not. Are they going to bring them gift baskets full of sake and Kobe beef?

Peace

No, they probably developed some super cool gadget and traded it with the aliens. Now they got access to Really Above Top Secret Moon

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Space races are much better that arms races. I'm glad to hear that there isn't going to be only one country in charge of space exploration. I think that the more countries in space the more united our world will be.

How did the subject of Space Exploration turn into Aliens and UFOs? I blame Peter Jennings.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Well, I would think that if a space race starts to unfold between Japanese and Chinese, money nor effort shall be spared to try proudly outdo the other partie, just who is the topdragon of the block....This frantic effort would in fact put them very much ahead of usa space colonisation plans , wich are currently very much focused on eyes and rods in the sky to hit targets on earth. Naturally the Usa government could turn their millitarised lower earth orbits into one big denial area to frustrate any asian moon expansion / space developments, but the media spindocters would have to work overtime gathering sufficient pretext and there is always the change of China not accepting this and rumble over it...

The last thing the usa government would want is the moon being divided in Chinatown and little Tokio.

And what about the French role in the ESA, can you trust them not to forge the data from SMART-1 , maybe they will try cover up craters with frozen water ( wich is the a most valuable asset overthere ) until they get a colony there first....

You know, there are a few but very strategic important places on the moon that you should try to occupy first before the others come colonize:

- the possible icecraters
- the equitorial plane for maglev slingshots to other planets
- a few suitable shaped craters on the dark side of the moon for giant radiotelescopes and telescopes wit huge liquid mercury mirror

You better get those spots now before you have to settle for mount Rubulus or Mare Emptium

the Indians are very much aware of this as well, SO it looks like slowly but surely by 2020 we are going to get the biggest race since Klondyke goldfever

Once India plans a flag, Pakistan would want to plant two flags overthere, even if it would cost the country an arm or a leg...

First interplanetary war christmass eve 2047

[edit on 28-2-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Countermeasures
Don't forget North korea, he will build a secret base on the the moon, smuggle 3 ICBMS into china and from there launch them to usa, Russia and Japan, and watch the show unfold over a glass of Johnny Walker, after that he will return as the glorious ruler over the ashes...

Then he will fly into an inoherent drunken rage as a 16 year old prostitute spills drink all over the script of his new self indulgent film.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Countermeasures
Don't forget North korea, he will build a secret base on the the moon, smuggle 3 ICBMS into china and from there launch them to usa, Russia and Japan, and watch the show unfold over a glass of Johnny Walker, after that he will return as the glorious ruler over the ashes...

Then he will fly into an inoherent drunken rage as a 16 year old prostitute spills drink all over the script of his new self indulgent film.

That was really bad, can you guys not post stuff like that here. Please keep the discussion on track. It's a very serious possibility that the two would race. Most Chinese people HATE Japanese people and most Japanese people LOOK DOWN on Chinese people, so they have very primal motivations to have such a tech race.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I tell you why Bush has said he wants a mission to Mars. The goal is so ambitious, he DOESN'T have to produce it NOw, people understand such endaveour takes 1 - 2 additional decades. Meanwhile that frees up the money to weaponize space instead, otherwise the money would be used to buid scientiific telescopes on the moon that make hubble look like a pair of sunglasses, but no, hubble can not protect oilfields, so you guys are going all the way to Mars, but first you will have to sleep another decade over it.

But this might change OVERNIGHT once the chinese start building strucures on the moon, Mars will become "irrelevant" in the media, the moon will be agin the place to be!

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
What do you call an asian in space?
A spasian! lol
Im sure on everypart of the Chinese rocket itll say made in China and in the Japanese rocket they have stuff like Nintendo and Playstation in it.

But seriously, It would be great to have another space race. its been 35 years since we landed on the moon. Well alledgedly anyway. The human race needs another space race if we're ever going to seriously explore space again. Come on how many of us here thought we'd all be living on Mars by now?

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Nice to see you again Croat B.K.

Yeah, a space race would be great, somthing like the old great wall you know...lots of people working and dying together!!!

That would be funny to see the LongMarch Rocket with MADE IN CHINA on it haha...

Don't like the spasian thingy though....they say YuHangYuan (Space Man)

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Come on Spasain! lol okay maybe not.
How about this one: Who would make more money on the moonbases Japanese restaurants or Chinese restaurants? lol eggrolls and sushi in space! Sesami chicken and #ake!

Now that I got that out of my system, I think that the Chinese have an edge in the space race because they were there first, but then again Russia sent the first person into space and they eventually lost to the Americans.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Croat56
How about this one: Who would make more money on the moonbases Japanese restaurants or Chinese restaurants? lol eggrolls and sushi in space! Sesami chicken and #ake!

Maybe the russians lost..they did get the first sattelite and a dog or was it a monkey...anyways

The Chinese would have a monopoly on Moon Food for 2 reasons.

1) Chinese food is dirt cheap

2) There would be more Chinese people going to space then Japanese.

and

3 (optional reason) Culinary Taste, I think most people prefer Chinese Food over Japanese Food because so much of the Japanese food is Raw in their opinion, but in reality it's not, plus Raw Japanese food is really really good!

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Your right 00ps China could send half its people up theyre and fully populate the moon. I like chinese food better anyway.Imagine if China made the moon communist and they put the communist symbol up there! That would piss off America.

Do you think theres any chance the EU will join the new space race since theyre already sending probes up there now? I plan on living in Europe someday and would love to work for the EU space agency. That is if theyll ever let Croatia join the EU....

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Building a base there sure makes more since than putting a flag there or just going there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join