It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Lebanese government resigns

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayburn

Sorry to break it to you, but the government is made up of people. And those people were elected by other people. So if the government was disolved, a lot of people would be disenfranchised, deprived what they voted for.

Well that may have been the case in the past but in todays world government officials are no longer elected by the people. They are secretly elected by other government officials. Besides you really think are officials listen to us anymore? I sure as hell don't.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Thumbs up to the people of Lebanon. The entire free world should rally to the people of Lebanon in support of their cause. Could this be Lebanon's version of the Berlin Wall coming down? This article was actually written last week:

www.washingtonpost.com...

It will be interesting to see how events will unfold.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Thumbs up to the people of Lebanon. The entire free world should rally to the people of Lebanon in support of their cause. Could this be Lebanon's version of the Berlin Wall coming down? This article was actually written last week:

www.washingtonpost.com...

It will be interesting to see how events will unfold.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
This comes one day after Syria turns over Saddam's half brother and 29 other Iraqi insurgents. Syria wants to get back in the good graces of the US as a last ditch effort to save itself.

Hopefully this will lead to elections in Lebanon and put pressure on Iran's youth to rise up and follow this growing ripple of voting in the Middle-east.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmulderWell that may have been the case in the past but in todays world government officials are no longer elected by the people. They are secretly elected by other government officials. Besides you really think are officials listen to us anymore? I sure as hell don't.

oh please you need to stop the ignorance, they do listen if you get lots of support and make enough noise, sorry but maybe your views arent what others want.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by feklar
these countries had no choice but to move toward democracy out of fear the extra-terrestrials that are in charge of the earth would devastate their countries.

lol!!

Wow, thanks for the laugh man.

....but you owe me a new monitor (maybe these aliens can teach us to laugh and drink at the same time
)

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   
As much as I would like to Bash Bush for his attitude and modus operandi, at the same time I must conclude that definately SOMETHING is happening in the middle-east right now (lebanon, increased talks with PA and Sharon of all places and Mubarak wanting to leave a more democratic Egypt when he resigns, Khadaffi converted from Jihadist to bussinessman, Saddma captures, increased sji'ite democratic power in iraq resembling their numbers...), Naturally a lot of bad things are happoening as well but there are some litlle lights in that tunnel we can clang on to....

[edit on 1-3-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Countermeasures, I agree.

Though I am not a member or the GOP or a supporter of Bush and company, I can see this event for the positive thing it is. Its certainly disheartening to see those with freedom make rash judgement on those without for the sake of their political agendas.

Deny it all you want but most of you are pissed because this can be tied to the introduction of democracy in other parts of the world. How damn dare you bunch of whimpering know it alls think you have any right to pass the judgement on others that they must live in tyranny to support your political ideologies! How dare you!

To me, this has not a damn thing to do with Bush and friends and everything to do with the inate human desire to be free. Oh, you all may get on here and post your support but your caveats sell you out. You seeth about it. You hate it. You all actually think its worth it for these people to live the way they've had to...but as I've stated many times, its easy to make that call for someone else when your own pampered lives are unaffected!

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   
i was watching to bible code II on the history channel last night and it was made in 2004 and the one guy talks about escalating violence between syria and lebanon in 2005. he also said the wmd's from iraq may have been taken through damascus and into the bekah valley in lebanon. i just take all these prophecies as something interesting. it is cool seeing this syria lebanon stuff unfolding right now however anyone can predict a problem between those to countries. if they find the wmds in the bekah valley i'll be a little more sold on these bible codes.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
lost this from my posts somehow so i have to type something to get it back on....

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   
One theory for this then evovles into: maybe the kitchen is getting a bit too hot for the Syrians if they are sitting on Saddam's weapons. Or maybe, they have been successful in moving them to other parts of the middle east. For whatever reason, they sure seem to have tucked tail awefully abruptly.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Some of those alleged WMDs were said to be in Bekaa/Bakaa Valley. As such, perhaps they have been moved out or cleared out?

seekerof

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
Well thats a wonderful outcome. Now Lebannon needs all our support to help them rid of Syrian occupation as well as Hezbollah terrorist organization. It will be another step in briging stability to the area.

Hezbollah is an institution in lebanon. The militant wing of the hezbollah is only a small part of what they are about. They have built schools, roads, hospitals and finance them all. Hezbollah has done a whole lot of good for lebanon, and not just by protecting its southern border from israeli transgression. While I believe that by meddling in the affair of the palestinians, they have overstepped their bounds, but what you call a terrorist organization I call freedom fighters and true lebanese patriots.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Omar Karami very valiant? Sorry, but, wtf?

He was pressured out, he didn't want to leave. Syria will leave Lebanon soon, although I fear that this may have been a military ploy, knowing Syria's history..

-wD

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by General Zapata
but what you call a terrorist organization I call freedom fighters and true lebanese patriots.

Well, that can be looked at two ways. Freedom fighters in the sense we normally think of fight for the freedom of themselves or others who are being oppressed.

Freedom fighters in the sense of Hezbollah actually fight the concept of freedom itself. So, I guess one could temr them freedom fighters in that they fight to repress free will by the people and keep them under the rule of whomever they think should be in charge.

As for being Lebanese patriots, one would likely have to be Lebanese to begin with and I'd venture thats not the case with 90% of them.

Its like the "freedom fighters" in Iraq. Most are not Iraqi to begin with and are fighting freedom rather than fighting for freedom. They are not figting for Iraq, they are fighting over Iraq. I think until that is realized, we're going to see the continuance of these sort of falicies posted here.

One cannot use the term freedom fighter in the classical sense when the people refered to fight to keep a population oppressed.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by astrocreep
Freedom fighters in the sense of Hezbollah actually fight the concept of freedom itself.

completely incorrect. Hezbollah has a democratic influence in lebanese politics because they democratically run candidates. Your condescension is obvious and infuriating.

As for being Lebanese patriots, one would likely have to be Lebanese to begin with and I'd venture thats not the case with 90% of them.

wtf? Do you know anything about Hezbollah besides what you hear from FOX news? Its members and supporters are some of the oldest residents of the land now known as lebanon. They were there before even Islam, they are the descendants of the phoenicians, as I and most lebanese are. The southern port city of Sidon was on ancient grecian maps, and actually predates greece. It was founded during a late Egyptian dynasty. For you to call them non-lebanese and insinuate that they are there just there to cause trouble is ludicrous.

One cannot use the term freedom fighter in the classical sense when the people refered to fight to keep a population oppressed.

once again, know and understand what you are talking about before attempting discussion. It detracts from your credibility.

[edit on 3-3-2005 by General Zapata]

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   

once again, know and understand what you are talking about before attempting discussion. It detracts from your credibility.

Worry about your own credibility. I presented my opinion as you have yours.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 01:48 AM
link   
In a speech to Syria's parliament, Assad is expected announce the pullout of some troops completely from Lebanon and the redeployment of the rest close to the border.

Abdel Halim Mrad, defense minister in the Syrian-backed Lebanese government which resigned on Monday, said the move would adhere to the Taif Accord which ended Lebanon's 1975-90 civil war.

"Syria will redeploy its forces in line with Taif," he said.

The agreement stipulates Syrian forces be redeployed to the eastern Bekaa Valley, and then that the Lebanese and Syrian governments agree on how long these forces stay.

haaretz

The international community must deliver an unequivocal message to Syria - to pull out its military forces from Lebanon now.

Rebekka

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by astrocreep

Worry about your own credibility. I presented my opinion as you have yours.

fair enough, but you claiming that the members of Hezbollah are actually non-lebanese is not a matter of opinion, it is just plain wrong.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Could this situation create a power vacuum? I worry about that.. What if something worse comes along in that Country.

I do not doubt that Bush had nothing to do directly with this. He may have influenced it with "Gunboat" Diplomacy, and it may have had positive affects but my opinion still stands that the means do not justify the end. Anyway What is interesting is that some of these revolutions may have been financed by the private sector in the USA and elsewhere in the West. I've even heard some rumors that Soros might have been involved in the Orange revolution in the Ukrain, as well as something in Georgia. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out that other Billionaires have financed similiar activities throughout the world.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join