It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Lebanese government resigns

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Prime Minister Omar Karami announced his government's resignation Monday. This promted a cheer from the opposition demonstrators protesting against the government and its Syrian backers near parliament. About 25,000 flag-waving people demonstrating outside parliament Monday, demanding the government's resignation.

www.haaretz.com
"I am keen that the government will not be a hurdle in front of those who want the good for this country.

I declare the resignation of the government that I had the honor to head. May God preserve Lebanon," Karami said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The demonstrators also demanded the withdrawal of Syria's 15,000 troops in Lebanon, chanting: "We want no other army in Lebanon except the Lebanese army!"

[edit on 28-2-2005 by John bull 1]

[edit on 2-3-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
If only the American goverment had the strenght of charcter and less cowardice to do so!

Thumbs up to Omar Karami, very valiant!

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   

If only the American goverment had the strenght of charcter and less cowardice to do so!

Not really on topic at all. But if you want to take this discussion in that direction...

Your response makes no sense whatsoever. You are calling for the resignation of the American government, which includes the president, senators, house representatives and supreme court justices.

But back on topic. I am proud for the people of Lebanon. I think the U.N. should step up and give Syria an ultimatum : Withdraw troops from Lebanon or face military action.

[edit on 28-2-2005 by Mayburn]

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
The resignation was the most dramatic moment yet in the series of protests.

Some 60,000 of jubilant demonstrators gathered in a sea of red and white Lebanese flags are shown in the TV broke into singing the national anthem on hearing the news.

What a day!

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   
He was forced to step down, changes are happening very quickly there...something big is going to happen and people are wiping and protecting their behinds.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ishes

I'm glad for the Lebonese poeple. I hope that they will finally be aloud to rule themselves. Omar Karami was a pupet leader for Seria and I do not believe that he made that statement unless Seria gave there Ok.

Uhmm! As for your other remark. I haven't seen any populas wide demonstrations in the US asking the government to resign.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Well thats a wonderful outcome. Now Lebannon needs all our support to help them rid of Syrian occupation as well as Hezbollah terrorist organization. It will be another step in briging stability to the area.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
A great day for Lebanon.About time Syria retracted their tentacle.I think the reality of their situation is starting to sink in.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I am proud of them. If only our government would do the same. Oh, that's right. Our government is trying to take over the world. A New World Order.

Originally posted by Mayburn
Your response makes no sense whatsoever. You are calling for the resignation of the American government, which includes the president, senators, house representatives and supreme court justices.

That's right. We don't need any of that. Our country is made up of "We the People." Not the "Government."

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   

That's right. We don't need any of that. Our country is made up of "We the People." Not the "Government."

Sorry to break it to you, but the government is made up of people. And those people were elected by other people. So if the government was disolved, a lot of people would be disenfranchised, deprived what they voted for.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Now the free world must continue to champion Lebanese "people power" at every opportunity, demanding free elections in Lebanon at a suitable time after Syria's full withdrawal.

Revolutionary, democratic change is taking place in the Muslim world in the Middle East:

* There has been the first democratic elections in Afghan history late last year

* 8 million Iraqis casting ballots in Iraq's first real democratic elections last month.

* Libya's coming in from the cold in late 2003, swearing off not only terrorism, but agreeing to give up its WMDs as well.

* The Palestinians held several rounds of successful elections in recent months.

Even a Syrian alliance with Iranian mullahs is not going to stem the spread of freedom in the region. Syria is swimming against the tide of history.

Rebekka

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   
It's really good news.

But, does anyone have any updates on the reaction from the Syrian Government or those damned Hizbolla cretins ?

Was this resignation with the implicit agreement of Syria ?

Interesting times...

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
The continued spread of freedom and democracy.
Oh, btw, pass the word.

'As The World Turns' and the pressure on Syria to withdraw mounts.....

seekerof

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   

And be replaced by what?

Where's the button to press for the "Dumbest statement of the year award"?

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Actually, one could make the argument that this event is the direct result of US activities in the middle east. It appears that a democratic 'domino effect' is beginning to build in the post-iraqi election middle east.

[edit on 28-2-2005 by onlyinmydreams]

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
He had not choice, he either resigns or face to be retaliated upon, so getting blown up does not sounds like fun choice to get early retirement.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
They had no choice?
Sure they did.
The choices were simply stay and remain in controlling power or be ousted and then butt-stamped by 25,000 plus demonstrators.

I think for the sake of the continued spread of freedom and democracy, they made the wise choice.

Hizbullah (Iran backed and supported) should be ousted from Lebanon next.

seekerof

[edit on 28-2-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Which amoung the natives are expected to come to power in this situation? Does the governments resignation lead to any possibility of a reformation of whatever constitution they have? Or will 'early elections' merely occur?

From what I understand, lebanon has a large mix of muslims and christians in it, and in some considerations lebanon is almost a christian country. I also recall that there are radical catholic falangists that used to operate in the country, are they still active?

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
the only reason all these pro-democracy events are taking place in the world this quickly is because before the world was on a fast track of self destruction. these countries had no choice but to move toward democracy out of fear the extra-terrestrials that are in charge of the earth would devastate their countries.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
the only reason all these pro-democracy events are taking place in the world this quickly is because before the world was on a fast track of self destruction. these countries had no choice but to move toward democracy out of fear the extra-terrestrials that are in charge of the earth would devastate their countries.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join