It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado Senate Passes Bill Nixing Electoral College in Favor of Popular Vote

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 12:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Despite the bait and switch that the EC represents, the final truth is that out of the approximately 230 million voters, only 270 person votes determine who is your President and Vice President.

How is that different than the EU? Here is the reason, we are 50 united states that all are equal and so each gets 2 Senators in that equality, no matter the population. In the EU you have Germany at 82 million which is more people than 16 combined out of 28 total other EU countries, so should Germany drive EU?

Well the states is the same in you have 50 equal states that get at least 3 EC votes, a state like CA get 55 due to its population, so that is HUGE would you not say? The states each have their own President, congress, SC, military etc and each state does the one person one vote process. To pick the fed level Government only the President is not under this one person one vote. This is why we call America a republic, it has worked well to combined 50 states that could easily be 50 countries. This is why the EU went this direction to in seeing the power it has.

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

we are 50 united states that all are equal and so each gets 2 Senators in that equality, no matter the population.
Representation in the house of representatives varies by state population.

This is why the EU went this direction to in seeing the power it has.
The EU does not have a bicameral legislature and the representation in parliament is not directly proportionate to population, it actually seems quite arbitrary and the methods for electing representatives vary quite a lot.

Seems quite different, actually.
edit on 2/5/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Basically people that don't grow any of the food and only consume it want to control the people who grow the food and strip them of any profit or ability to continue doing so until everyone dies.

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 01:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Representation in the house of representatives varies by state population.

That is true, but the equality is set in the senate with the population set in the Rep. The argument is that giving some states 3 votes is too powerful based on their population, so to offset this is to go one person one vote, or to increase the House well past 435 to basically make the 2 senate votes per state moot.

The EU does not have a bicameral legislature and the representation in parliament is not directly proportionate to population, it actually seems quite arbitrary and the methods for electing representatives vary quite a lot.

Seems quite different, actually.

True, BUT it is not one person one vote...and that is my point, if it was a few countries could drive all of EU...

edit on 5-2-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

But the president is not Congress. The president is not the Judiciary (much to his chagrin). He is not a representative, he is an administrator, and bound by those other things. The president cannot "drive" the country in the way that the EU parliament can.

I understand and agree with the concept of electoral voting but the Constitution is silent on the criteria by which electors vote. That has fallen to each state to decide. Or not.

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 01:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: circuitsports
Basically people that don't grow any of the food and only consume it want to control the people who grow the food and strip them of any profit or ability to continue doing so until everyone dies.

And you believe that?

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 01:45 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Yes and those five countries named all suck because of it yes the Vatican to a country controlled exclusively by little old men where could it go wrong.

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 02:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
I still don't know why most of you guys don't want to abolish the Electoral college?

I get that you think it favors democrats. But the Electoral college favors democrats by giving California and New York too much power. Also remember that the popular vote almost always follows the electoral vote anyway, except in like three instances. Also remember that, only the president is elected using the Electoral college. We still have congress that is elected with the popular vote.

you do of course realize that most if not all free countries have something similar to the electoral collage involved in choosing the leaders of their countries? in fact many countries don't even "vote" for their leader at all, so you might not even realize that there is something exactly like the electoral college in play. instead of electing the leader of the country separate, the leader of the party that wins the most seats (elected positions), in their version of congress becomes the country's leader. it might for example be called "Parliament", with the party who wins the most "seats", becoming "Prime Minister" as in countries like Canada. this just like the electoral college in the US ensures that everyone in the country is fairly represented in choosing the leader of the country, and insures that it is not only a few small areas due to population density get to choose the leader of the government. the leader of the government being the representative of their country to the world, and acts as head of the government.

it's actually rather ironic that a state like Colorado would be the one's pushing to make their own voters completely irrelevant in Presidential elections. would they like places like California and New York voting for their congressmen and senators as well for them? because that is in effect what they are doing with this insanity is having the areas with the most and largest cities choosing who will be President and thus representing them to the world and who will be head of their government. congratulations for making yourselves irrelevant in politics Colorado.

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 03:15 AM
link   
isn't this what both parties should want? isn't this the true "Democracy" you all worship, the "peoples vote" instead of leaving it up to the electoral vote?

or is it because Trump lost the popular vote

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 04:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

These are all states that vote Democrat, historically... it will be hilarious the next time a Republican wins the popular vote and those states are forced to honor their pact and also vote for the Republican... Oh, wait... that will be when they abandon the pact and say "it was nonbinding and possibly not even legal" while their party goes DEAD quiet on this abolishment of the Electoral College issue.
edit on 5-2-2019 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 06:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

A million stars for you!

That's what i always bring up when toys issue arises, is why does thec left all of the sudden what the majority to run things? They are against the majority in everything else but when selecting our president they want it their way...

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage
It was probably TLDR for those who oppose the electoral college.

I was very anti electoral college until i educated myself as to why we have it. It's very much a check and ballance of power, and much needed.

Only question schuyler, did you write that off your head?
If so, well done man! I liked it very much.

If its copy pasted though, you might want to give credit.

Ummm...not that he needs anyone defending him...but Schuyler...would not plagiarize...and would include credit were it necessary...

Schuyler is one of my fave posters on this site...he’s probably the most well read and yet intelligent individuals I’ve had the pleasure to observe...

Even though we’ve butted heads in the long ago...I very much respect his opinion and contributions...

NOT...kissing ass...just stating the obvious as I perceive it...

YouSir

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I guess I don't see how this will work for the democrats??
If left states are already voting for the leftist candidate?

Also....how the he'll can they tell a Delegate who to cast their Electoral vote in this bizarre manner?
Sounds DESPERATE to me!!!!

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: XAnarchistX

Sounds to me like a LOT of adults in this country missed the government class that taught how and why the Electoral College worked....And that we have a 50 States electio n al...rather than National Election for POTUS

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

These are all states that vote Democrat, historically... it will be hilarious the next time a Republican wins the popular vote and those states are forced to honor their pact and also vote for the Republican... Oh, wait... that will be when they abandon the pact and say "it was nonbinding and possibly not even legal" while their party goes DEAD quiet on this abolishment of the Electoral College issue.

They have no integrity and change the rules as it suits them.
See Sanders, Bernie as the latest example of such.

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

So create a LAW that tells people how to vote!!!!

Yay 'democracy'.

This is the most pertinent point. It's irrelevant how enshrined the electoral college voting system is in the constitution. It's basic terminology.

The definition of 'vote' is the formal indication of a choice. If you pass laws mandating how someone must vote, then it's simply not a vote at all.

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 09:09 AM
link   

So what happens when things do not go according to plan and these states must vote for who they do not want to vote for? Faithless voters has always been a possible circumstance, but now you are creating a whole block of potentially faithless voters.

This has the potential for civil war written all over it. And I think the thing that disturbs me the most is that I am beginning not to care if that is the outcome. The result of banging my head against the wall from others not listening to reason too many times. And figuring that maybe they will learn the other way.

But perhaps it is not even that which disturbs me, that it would come to war. But that too many have given up to the point that it would not come to war to protect their freedoms and that we as a country slip away with not a bang, but with a grimacing smirk and and a “humph”.

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Wouldn't this be a felony or something close to that? Treasonous even. It's certainly unconstitutional. Why don't they just opt to secede and govern themselves while everyone else lives in reality.

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
I still don't know why most of you guys don't want to abolish the Electoral college?

I get that you think it favors democrats. But the Electoral college favors democrats by giving California and New York too much power. Also remember that the popular vote almost always follows the electoral vote anyway, except in like three instances. Also remember that, only the president is elected using the Electoral college. We still have congress that is elected with the popular vote.

I can't tell if you're serious or joking. Without CA, Trump not only wins the electoral which he'd already won anyways, but he also wins the popular. Don't play dumb.

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut
a reply to: xuenchen

One person - one vote.

Fairer, truer to the actual population of America, and harder to manipulate corruptly.

Of course, those who want an embedded autocracy don't want it!

You wouldn't understand. Best to sit there and cry about one person, one vote. K?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join