It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado Senate Passes Bill Nixing Electoral College in Favor of Popular Vote

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 06:23 PM
link   
They're going for the gold.

Democrats have started dropping their marbles.

Now we have the Colorado Senate passing a bill to direct their Electoral College delegates to vote for the winner of the National popular vote in Presidential elections !!!!!

It's all part of the efforts called "National Popular Vote Interstate Compact" and it's blasting off like a rocket.

Probably unConstitutional but they'll do it anyway and wait for the SCOTUS to decide as they continue the anti-American onslaught of corrupt BS.

Democrats definitely have some screws coming loose as the mental cases mount up in popularity 🤣

Colorado Senate Passes Bill Nixing Electoral College in Favor of Popular Vote

The Democratic-majority Colorado state Senate passed a bill this week that would give the state’s electoral votes in presidential elections to the candidate who wins the popular vote instead of the Electoral College.
Colorado’s Senate passed the bill in a 19-16 vote Tuesday along party lines.

The bill would mandate that the state’s members of the Electoral College vote for the presidential candidate who wins the popular vote.

"Compact THIS you dumb-bells !!"

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I still don't know why most of you guys don't want to abolish the Electoral college?

I get that you think it favors democrats. But the Electoral college favors democrats by giving California and New York too much power. Also remember that the popular vote almost always follows the electoral vote anyway, except in like three instances. Also remember that, only the president is elected using the Electoral college. We still have congress that is elected with the popular vote.

+34 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
I still don't know why most of you guys don't want to abolish the Electoral college?

I get that you think it favors democrats. But the Electoral college favors democrats by giving California and New York too much power. Also remember that the popular vote almost always follows the electoral vote anyway, except in like three instances. Also remember that, only the president is elected using the Electoral college. We still have congress that is elected with the popular vote.

it's kind of in the constitution, so there is that.
www.archives.gov...

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

One person - one vote.

Fairer, truer to the actual population of America, and harder to manipulate corruptly.

Of course, those who want an embedded autocracy don't want it!

edit on 4/2/2019 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

+45 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 06:41 PM
link   

We remember. Thanks. This is why:

THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE

Every presidential season we go through the same thing. “Why is there an electoral college?” “The electoral college is not fair!” “We should elect by popular vote!” and on and on. There appears to be a woeful lack of understanding why this situation developed, with many members fabricating or misunderstanding the reasons for it.

IN THE BEGINNING

The “United States of America” was a collective noun. It meant the original thirteen colonies united for a common purpose. Each colony was separately governed and there were many issues of discontent between them, so many that the United States Constitution is a document of compromise that barely passed. Each colony had good reasons for not joining and none of them wanted to sacrifice their own self-governance to the new “federal” government.

The biggest state by far was Virginia, which included West Virginia at the time. It was big in terms of size, in terms of population, and in terms of influence. It dominated early American politics. Indeed, four of the first five presidents were from Virginia and, except for John Adams’ single term of four years, Virginians controlled the presidency for 32 of the 36 years until 1825. Many of the early issues revolved around slavery and, of course, Virginia was a slave state. Basically what happened with the slave issue was that they kicked the can down the road for the next generation to deal with, the result of which was the Civil War, which killed more people than all the other American wars combined.

The biggest issue, then, was states’ rights. Today we tend to think this meant the right of the southern states to keep slavery, but that’s not really true. It was the opposite. The southern states are large; the northern states generally are not. ‘States’ rights referred just as much to Rhode Island being smothered by the other states as it did Georgia. Of the original 13 colonies, half of them were tiny and they were all northern. Delaware and Rhode Island are smaller than many western counties.

And they all demanded their rights! And the biggest way they got them was through the biggest compromise in the US Constitution: The House of Representatives versus the Senate. The House, of course, is elected via popular vote according to the size of the population, so a populous state gets way more representatives than a non-populous state. But the Senate is composed of two senators for each state, no matter how large or small. So in the Senate Virginia was “no bigger” than Rhode Island.

Further, the Senate was elected NOT by a vote of the people, but by the State legislatures. Now you could say there was a connection to “the people” because the legislators themselves were elected by the people, but the message there was that the Senate represented the States themselves where the House represented the people directly. That was how the United States (plural) came to be.

THE EROSION OF STATES’ RIGHTS

When the next generation caught up with the can the issues were still smoldering, and this resulted in the Civil War. Today we think and even insist that the war was all about slavery. This is one of the biggest public relations coups in history that is still believed by the majority even today. But slavery as an institution was in a tailspin. It wasn’t economically viable. The old “plantation model” instituted by Great Britain was eroding.

The real reason was “states’ rights” and when the south seceded, Lincoln invaded and forced the south back into the fold. For the first time the “United States of America” became a singular noun. It was one country, not a collective of separate countries with a loose and limited federal government. This was the beginning of the end because the federalist weren’t finished.

Next on the list was the Senate. A campaign started to change the very idea of the Senate into another House with direct election of the Senators. The campaign painted the Senate group of cronies chosen by corrupt legislatures which chose Senators because of vote buying and corruption. If we chose senators by popular vote, it was stated, this would eliminate that corruption and clean house. This whole issue started in the early 19th entury and was later promoted by none other than William Randolph Hearst, who called senators every name in the book. Even by today’s low standards the politics of the situation were harsh. It was another PR coup as the 17th amendment was passed in 1914.

THE EFFECT OF THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE

The formula is straightforward. The number of electoral college members is a simple addition of the number of legislators in the House plus the number of Senators in the state, so Alaska, and Wyoming each have a single representative in the House plus two senators for a total of three Electoral College votes. California, on the other hand, has 53 legislators and two senators for a total of 55 votes.

One of the provisions of this process is the “winner take all” rule where if 50% +1 of the popular vote goes to candidate X, that candidate gets all the electoral college votes. This is a state-controlled issue. It is NOT an overall rule and there are a couple of states that do not allocate electoral college votes in this manner.

The overall result of this is that it gives a very slight edge to the less populous states. It’s enough of an edge that a candidate cannot get away with campaigning in New York, Pennsylvania, and California and calling it a wrap. And in a very tight campaign where both candidates are approaching the winning number of 270, any single state could provide the margin for victory.

The Electoral College was designed to prevent an all-powerful central government. That is, of course, what we already have. States’ rights have been eroded to the point where states by themselves are ineffectual and virtually powerless against the huge central government. The fears of the Founders have been realized. It took about 100 years to do it, but it’s just about done.

The amazing part of this story is that we actually have people who believe they are being disenfranchised BECAUSE of the Electoral College which, if it went away, would result in these very same voters being MORE disenfranchised than they are today. At least today there is a chance for a voter’s choice to have an effect, but without the Electoral College, people in the vast majority of states may as well not even vote, because the election will be decided by city dwellers in California, New York, and Pennsylvania, both coasts, where the fly-over states may as well be a different country.

For the record Colorado cannot unilaterally change the Constitution of the United States..

edit on 2/4/2019 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

+24 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 06:45 PM
link   

I get that you think it favors democrats.

It favors states rights. If I wanted to live in a commie # hole I'd move to California- but i don't, so I won't.
I also don't want California voters dictating the rules in my state- it's bad enough how much influence they have in congress.

+17 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

roflol sorry don't want Cal-if/or-nia or the New-Yorks-Corks running the whole country.

Mob rule is what ruined Vene-zoo-elia 🤣

edit on Feb-04-2019 by xuenchen because: 🐔🐔🐓🐔

+23 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

One person - one vote.

Fairer, truer to the actual population of America, and harder to manipulate corruptly.

One person, one vote is called mob rule.

Our founders were specifically against it because they understood history.

James Madison... "Democracies have been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and in general been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their death."

John Adams... "Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."

The quotes go on and on...

We could go back a little further...

Plato... "Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty."

So you see, Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.

A Democracy, by definition, does not protect the minority.

Something I thought lefties were all about...

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

roflol sorry don't want Cal-if/or-nia or the New-York-Corks running the whole country.

Rule by the one is the opposite end of the spectrum to rule by the many.

Mob rule and Democracy are as related to each other as dictatorship relates to tyranny.

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

One person - one vote.

One person, one vote is called mob rule.

Our founders were specifically against it because they understood history.

James Madison... "Democracies have been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and in general been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their death."

John Adams... "Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."

The quotes go on and on...

We could go back a little further...

Plato... "Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty."

So you see, Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.

A Democracy, by definition, does not protect the minority.

Something I thought lefties were all about...

Oh, could they have been wrong?

Countries of the world without some sort of democracy.

Only Saudi Arabia, Oman, the UAE, Brunei, and the Vatican officially admit to be undemocratic. Massive fail for the world if those founding fathers and ancients were correct.

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   

roflol sorry don't want Cal-if/or-nia or the New-York-Corks running the whole country.

Mob rule and Democracy are as related to each other as dictatorship relates to tyranny.

Really? Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting what to have for lunch. I like your second sentence though. That seems quite accurate to me. Mob rule and democracy are related to dictatorship and tyranny. That's kind of the point here. That's the right answer on a test.
edit on 2/4/2019 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

Really? Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting what to have for lunch.

No it isn't.

Just like autocracy isn't one wolf selecting its meal from a number of penned lambs or Republicanism isn't a few wolves selecting their lamb dinners.

+16 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 07:25 PM
link   

I understand why you don't understand it.

You not understanding the concept, however, does not make it untrue.

It just makes you willfully ignorant.

Which is OK!

We have plenty of them in our country as well, according to the OP.

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I've said it before and I'll say it again: This will last until the very first time a state is forced to vote against the will of it's own population. When that happens, that offended state will pull out (by popular referendum, if necessary).

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 07:35 PM
link   
It was probably TLDR for those who oppose the electoral college.

I was very anti electoral college until i educated myself as to why we have it. It's very much a check and ballance of power, and much needed.

Only question schuyler, did you write that off your head?
If so, well done man! I liked it very much.

If its copy pasted though, you might want to give credit.

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Say it with me now, "states". You live in the United S-T-A-T-E-S of America. Not simply 'Merica!

For a party that claims to stand for democracy and representation of the little guy and against populism and nationalism, I don't know how you can reconcile supporting the abolishment of the electoral college. Other than you being blinded by your own greed and lust for power and control.

Sure, let's support a system that will vote all of the nation's wealth and resources to a select few elite areas of the country and further decimate the nation's rural areas even more than they already have been.

Oh, hello there Second Civil War! We've been expecting you.

Looks like ol' John Titor was right after all. Just off by a few years.

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

For the record Colorado cannot unilaterally change the Constitution of the United States..

The electoral college elects only the president and vice president. As admistrators, they are not legislators. They do not "represent" anyone. They are unique. Elected not by the people, but by the states.

The Constitution says nothing about the president being elected by the people or any requirements on how electors vote. There are, however, state laws about how electors are "expected" to vote. Nothing to do with the US Constitution.

edit on 2/4/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Debating the necessity of the electoral college illustrates it.

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Holy crap democrats are stupid.

SCOTUS is going to squash this interstate compact really fast.

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 07:58 PM
link   

The US isn't a democracy, it's a republic.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join