It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DC School Won't Play Sports Against Christian School Where Karen Pence Teaches

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: WilsonWilson
a reply to: ketsuko

Just because they put up with intolerance in the past doesn't mean you have to forever, I get people thinking that kids will build a bridge, but its s lot to put on young vulnerable people.

Tolerance and acceptance are two separate words.

All tolerance means is that you accept that some people are different than you and you allow them to be different. You do not have to like how they are different or choose to use that difference in your own life.

I can allow that people can be gay and live that way, but as a practicing Christian, that is not my way and my faith teaches that it is wrong for two people to be that way. I do not seek to change people who will not change on their own. I've said this all over this forum, but at the same time, I am under no personal obligation to believe they are living a right lifestyle either.

I don't think people living together outside wedlock are living a right lifestyle either, but again, I'm not seeking to change people who do that. They make their own choices.

But at the same time, just because I personally do not approve of and my faith does not approve of or think your lifestyle choice is the correct one does not in any way stop you from living that way. Just like your choice to live that way does not impede me from my faith (not yet anyway, y'all are working on it very quickly). This is live and let live and actual tolerance.

The problem is that some classes do not seem to be able to be comfortable with their own life choices unless everyone around them openly approves of them. They do not seem to be able to tolerate the idea that some would disapprove, not even openly, but privately.

No one forces them to attend this school, and I doubt the kids or parents either one are taking the opportunity to hold sermons on Biblical sexuality at a basketball game. Believe it or not, Christians are competitive just like everyone else. Not everything is about the Bible.

link   
a reply to: infolurker

if the shoe was on the other foot and the "Christian" school didn't want to play vs a school that promoted LGBT would you still be upset?

Probably not.

It's their school, their decision. Let's move on to real issues.

link   
a reply to: TheElectricPriest

It's the same thing, the teachings and the schools that perpetuate them.

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   

a reply to: Krakatoa

I'm not a bubble wrap parent, but would I put my kids in danger to promote a cause? No.

Tell me, what danger here?

They have played them in sports before.....were there any incidents that endangered them?

No?

Then, the danger is false....and merely a political talking point.

Don't succumb to the false fear the movement is espousing.

Sheesh.... Isn't that obvious?

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

But that's not the issue we're talking about is it because that isn't what happened. If such a thing really mattered to the Christian school, they would already have been in a league where they were only playing other similar schools.
edit on 3-2-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I would say it is just as stupid, you learn nothing and can change nothing by running and hiding from people you disagree with.

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Just because they put up with intolerance in the past doesn't mean you have to forever, I get people thinking that kids will build a bridge, but its s lot to put on young vulnerable people.

Tolerance and acceptance are two separate words.

All tolerance means is that you accept that some people are different than you and you allow them to be different. You do not have to like how they are different or choose to use that difference in your own life.

The problem is that some classes do not seem to be able to be comfortable with their own life choices unless everyone around them openly approves of them. They do not seem to be able to tolerate the idea that some would disapprove, not even openly, but privately.

Bingo....

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 12:23 PM
link   

There is nothing noble about intolerance. Or preaching that normal people are evil, sinners because they love someone Christian don't agree with. It's wrong, and you shouldn't think that is noble.

Well, thank you for telling me how I should or should not think. But despite that, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go on thinking as I chose anyway.

Ok, firstly, you're using this word intolerance like it has some actual meaning in this context. By the tenants of The Bible, homosexuality is not to be tolerated. The Bible!!! These people believe in The Bible, so of course they ascribe to it. You're saying that they should abandon the instruction of Jesus Christ, whom they deem to be God in the flesh, and listen to you and those like you. This school, by the way, is not preaching hate, they simply have policy in effect that is consistent with their stated beliefs, and others are totally correct, this was a non-issue until Karen Pence returned to work there (where she'd apparently already been teaching for 12 years).

Take it up with The Bible man....

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 12:23 PM
link   
It's a difficult one. We all want to protect our kids.

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: ScepticScot

Did Jesse Owens condone Nazis by participating in the Olympics or was it instead a protest showing his superiority?

Also how are you teaching kids to be better than those they disagree with if your only action is to avoid the "bad people"
, where would that approach have gotten people during the civil rights movement, or the integration of schools.

The US. and other countries shouldn't have participated in the Berlin Olympics. Despite success of Owen it was still a massive & successful PR event for the Nazi party.

Its not about ' avoiding the bad people'. Its about choosing not to participate with an organisation that practises outright discrimination.

The civil rights movement was very much about challenging and refusing to accept discriminatory practises. Continuing to participate in organised events against a discriminatory body would be the antithesis of that.

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I know, its crazy, but I guess that's why us non religious folks find it so hard to understand. It makes no sense, some book tells you to hate people, so you do.

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

Did Jesse Owens condone Nazis by participating in the Olympics or was it instead a protest showing his superiority?

Also how are you teaching kids to be better than those they disagree with if your only action is to avoid the "bad people"
, where would that approach have gotten people during the civil rights movement, or the integration of schools.

The US. and other countries shouldn't have participated in the Berlin Olympics. Despite success of Owen it was still a massive & successful PR event for the Nazi party.

Its not about ' avoiding the bad people'. Its about choosing not to participate with an organisation that practises outright discrimination.

The civil rights movement was very much about challenging and refusing to accept discriminatory practises. Continuing to participate in organised events against a discriminatory body would be the antithesis of that.

Then answer me this, why now? Why not before a certain art teacher was put back on staff after her husband was elected as the VP of the US?

All other things were the same...yet now it's different?

Bullhockey!!

These school admins are using children as a bargaining ship in their political fighting.

Now, who is protecting the children?

Right?

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: ScepticScot

Then answer me this, why now? Why not before a certain art teacher was put back on staff after her husband was elected as the VP of the US?

All other things were the same...yet now it's different?

Bullhockey!!

These school admins are using children as a bargaining ship in their political fighting.

Now, who is protecting the children?

Right?

1' according to the link in the OP the school was not aware of the discriminatory practises until the recent publicity.

2' even.If they were ( and we have no reason belief they were) that doesn't mean they aren't allowed to change their minds or review previous decisions.

3' What political position, that discrimination is wrong? If that's the message then good, it bloody should be.

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 12:34 PM
link   

But they never protested before the arrival of Pence (as in they still played), so why did they condone ii before (by your terms), but after her arrival its suddenly unsafe for the kids...

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   

But they never protested before the arrival of Pence (as in they still played), so why did they condone ii before (by your terms), but after her arrival its suddenly unsafe for the kids...

See answer above.

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

But that's not the issue we're talking about is it because that isn't what happened. If such a thing really mattered to the Christian school, they would already have been in a league where they were only playing other similar schools.

it's their school. it's their decision who to play and who not to play and why they don't want to play them.

Move on and all of a sudden it's not a "protest" and they get no attention.

Or you can make it a big deal and all of a sudden there's a cause to march for (or against.)

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

As opposed to the fantasy that is a belief in a god that looks over those who fawn over him?

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

hahaha

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Does anyone think that if Jill Biden during the Obama administration had decided to go teach something at an Islamic School, she would have been insulted and condemned? We know what Islam teaches about gays and what they do to them when not constrained by law.

Would other schools refuse to play soccer with them? I think not.

Selective outrage at its worst! The Left are the most intolerant of all...plus something is mis-wired upstairs, imo.

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I know, its crazy, but I guess that's why us non religious folks find it so hard to understand. It makes no sense, some book tells you to hate people, so you do.

It should not be hard to understand at all.

Are there things you find morally wrong? How about this, I will give you a radical example... do you think Pedophilia is wrong?

How would you like it if suddenly Pedophilia is the "law of the land" and the Pedo Lobby was in schools promoting this style of "love" to your elementary school children as normal and acceptable. Even worse, if you say it is wrong and you want no part of it for yourself and family you are now a "hater".

Is this sinking in yet?

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join