It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Joe Rogan sell out in Jack Dorsey interview?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 09:24 AM
link   
SO Joe Rogan had Twitter ceo Jack Dorsey on his show.

For those of you that dont know, Joe rogan is a sort of alt media pioneer, whose podcast was seen as one of the first major alternatives to the msm.

Instead of short sound bytes, Rogans show offers long form interviews that can go on for hours. His guest range from political people on the left and right, mma fighters and other athletes, scientists of all fields, media people, and comedians.

Rogan was seen as edgy and above all seems to stick up for the concept of free speech and dialogue.

And so he would have controversial guests on his show, like Milo, his friend Alex Jones, Lance Armstrong, Mel Gibson, etc. Allow them to get their side of the story out when embroiled in controversy, when other outlets wouldnt.

So to many fans of Rogan, having teh Twitter ceo, who is seen as the antithesis of this mentalty in how they sleectovely deplatform people, seemed like a great chance to finally have someone ask Dorsey some real questions.

And..... we got this.

Rogan basically soft balling the entire interview. He ask almost no difficult questions, and when he does, he allows Dorsey to immediately ignore them, and even seems to help dorsey do this is some instances.

Its hard to point to an exact 1 minute clip or something, because its more of the tone of the whole interview.

But for an example, start around the 20 minute mark. Dorsey is talking about Twitters terms of service, and how doxxing and threats arent allowed.

Rogan finally asks a tough question; How about blue check mark people like Kathy Griffin were allowed to call for the doxxing of the Covington kids.

Dorsey immediately side steps the questions, saying they are looking in the future for how to deal with situations, blah blah blah.

Rogan could have said "But wait, you have banned people, even my friends, for far less than this. And you just got done saying that stopping threats and doxxing needs to be the most important thing. SO why have you allowed actual celebrities with power and influence to do just that to children?"

But he didnt. Instead he says something like Yeah you banned the original account that pushed the indian drummer video. Almost like Joe wanted to just say he asked the question and then act like Dorsey did something good to help him ignore the question.

The whole interview is like this.

Needless to say, Rogans supporters are pretty upset about this.

To many of them, this is seen as Rogan, one of the biggest voices for free speech and alt media, selling out to the main stream and censorship.

As of the time of writing this, the video of this interview on youtube has only 5.4 thousand up votes, and 35 thousand down votes.

And the comment sections is near 100% of people callling out rogan, any saying he is a sell out and they are unsubscribing.

In addition, there is now the added controversy of accusations of comments in the video that were critical of rogan being deleted.

So public figures Sargon of Akkad and Marc Dice had the top comments on the video. Neither were vulgar and both questioned dorsey more than Rogan.

Yet these comments seemed to vanish after thousands of people upvoted them. Many people think this is Rogans team actively trying to bury criticism, though others feel it could be youtubes algorithm doing it; I have no idea.

But the anger at Rogan, not from people who barely know him, but from his mist ardent supporters, is overwhelming.

There are other issues, such as Dorsey apparently being on the board of one of Rogans shows sponsors, Rogan selling out his friends like Alex Jones and Owen Benjamin, why may have rogan done this etc, which i cover here in my video.

SO why is thiss important.

Well to many people its not, and they think I am a meathead for doing a video or thread on it. And they may be right.

But I think this could be a watershed moment for alt media personalities, and what happens when they get too big. At this point, Rogan is more main stream than alt media, and perhaps this means he cant be edgy any more, and has to play nice wth the other big players in the main stream.

And thats frightening, because as I often say, the establishment, particularly on the left controls almost all of our cultural institutions of power.

Academia, the msm, the entertainment industry, the social media and tech companies, etc. The only place where voices not in this camp, both on the left and right can have space are through independent people like Rogan, Dore, Rubin, etc.

If they inevitably can be co opted as well, where does that elave alt voices?

Or maybe I am l thinking too much?

either way, an interesting story to me.

So did Rogan sell out?

I am leaning that way, but regardless, this interview was a really bad look for him.

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

I think Joe was being a dick, honest opinion. Joe makes his swizz being a jerk, sometimes i agree with him, but this time, i didn't.

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I am probably wrong here, but this seemed like the only possible path his show would take, to sell out more and more. He never seemed to buck the establishment very much, but tiptoed around the controversial issues. To me, he only dabbled in the conspiracy to the extent that he could hook viewers and thus leverage his ability to draw advertisers.

I just don't think his intentions were honest to begin with, it was always about the money. That being said, some of his shows I really enjoyed, because of the guests he brought on. I just never expected him to challenge the establishment, so I was never disappointed.

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   

I used to listen to every podcast he published but ended up unsubscribing because he has like three issues he repeatedly hammers on regardless who he is interviewing. I did find the Elon Musk interview fascinating.

As for selling out, I think he'd done it some time ago. It's the temptation of power. Once one attains even a modicum, it is difficult to let it go. Except for the most spiritually centered and humble people, which Rogan certainly isn't, it is difficult to turn away from.

I don't see this as an end to anything. It is just another turning of the wheel and some new person will need to step up and fill the void.

Thanks for the great analysis and now I will not have to listen to the entire interview. S&F.

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky
I am probably wrong here, but this seemed like the only possible path his show would take, to sell out more and more. He never seemed to buck the establishment very much, but tiptoed around the controversial issues. To me, he only dabbled in the conspiracy to the extent that he could hook viewers and thus leverage his ability to draw advertisers.

I just don't think his intentions were honest to begin with, it was always about the money. That being said, some of his shows I really enjoyed, because of the guests he brought on. I just never expected him to challenge the establishment, so I was never disappointed.

You could very well be right.

And certainly this is what alex jones and owen benjamin (both former friends of Joes" have said, in addition to manh of his fans.

But even if that is the case, how could he be so tone deaf as to do an interview like this and show his fans that?

Surely he had to realize that his core supporters would be disgusted by this.

But either he didnt realize it, he just no longer cares about having an audience, he thinks he can replace his audience with more establishment type left wing people, or he wanted to shill for dorsey so much none of that mattered.

Whatever the situation, there is huge blowback from his supporters now being directed at him.

Look for him to start to have alex jones type people on and pander to them or go hard after some lefties to try to get cred back with his supporters.

But I think that ship has sailed for many of them, this interview showed his true colors.

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Sapphire

Usually his dickness doesny prevent him for having an actual conversation.. This smells like Dorsey had approved questions beforehand and Rogan trying to slip in something juicy and backing down as soon as he sees the reaction from Dorsey. Loving the downvotes on that video.. #ing Rogan being a sellout as well.

I made a twitter account.

Followed

Donaldtrump
Benshapiro
Jordan peterson
Prayingmedic
AOC (for #s and giggles)

I didnt post anything.

I didnt like anything.

Twitter banned me after about 15 minutes saying im braking twitters t&c.. How the f#!k
Do I brake their t&c simply by following people on their platform?

And Rogan softballing that a$$hole makes me wonder..

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: samuelsson

I agree...I'm sure that Joe Rogan got a firm set of criteria he had to follow to have Dorsey on the show and break the rules at your peril sort of thing

How on earth can you be banned for not posting???
glad I don't have these twitters & instagram things

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 10:04 AM
link   
No, I dont think Joe sold out. I think the ninnies and bell ends want THEIR echo chamber in JRE.

Did you listen to the interview even? Do you honestly not see the irony and hypocrisy in the questions posed here?

About 50% of episodes people post online how it was such a crap interview and blah blah Joe sell out, then wonder what in the world everyone was talking about when I listen to it.

You all sound like new listeners that dont understand the podcast in my honest opinion.

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 10:07 AM
link   

lol, thanks.

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: sputniksteve

edit on 3-2-2019 by Sapphire because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: sputniksteve
No, I dont think Joe sold out. I think the ninnies and bell ends want THEIR echo chamber in JRE.

Did you listen to the interview even? Do you honestly not see the irony and hypocrisy in the questions posed here?

About 50% of episodes people post online how it was such a crap interview and blah blah Joe sell out, then wonder what in the world everyone was talking about when I listen to it.

You all sound like new listeners that dont understand the podcast in my honest opinion.

I listened to much of the interview.

I have watched many of his other podcasts.

No one is asking for an echo chamber.

People are asking for him to treat his guest as equally as challenging.

Especially when Rogan is supposedly a free speech champion.

And yet he soft balled one of the biggest free speech censors.

Did you watch the interview?

Are you ok with Dorsey claiming his site is all about not doxxing people or threatening them, and then totally deflecting as to why celebrities like Kathy Griffin were allowed to do that against children?

Were you satisfied with Joes covering for that answer?

Its funny I must be the one who doesnt know Rogan as his podcast.

Me and the tens of thousands of people that have down voted this upisode and commented negativeky about it.

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 10:14 AM
link   

lol yes agreed. however I think that Dorsey is being honest, whether or not mr.dickhead is trying to inject his input as plausible. But you know I'm not American I just say it like i see it. Be it right or wrong. I'm enjoying this. American Politics are more entertaining than Canadian Politics by far.

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Joe's a smart guy, he knows who he can push and who he can't. He relies on social media to push his platform. This Twitter yack is probably a twerpy little push-over in real life, but nonetheless when you're the boss of Twitter...Joe knows he's got to walk on egg shells. He can easily wait for upset fans to settle down over the matter, but he can't afford for social media tycoons to go after him.

In regards to the Mike Dice comments, or anything related to Alex Jones; Rogan is absolutely right to stay clear of all that. He does not want his show becoming attached to the Alex Jones phenomena. AJ lost his platform because he went after the parents of dead children and called them liars among other reasons. Alex Jones even admitted on Joe's podcast that he is an entertainer first....he entertains a certain fanbase. I know AJ is loved around here but from a media perspective he is a cancer.

Joe has a history of looking into the conspiracy realm, but he's being careful to not get into the Alex Jones dimension of it and I don't blame him one bit. So deleting comments from hacks like Mike Dice...I'd do the exact same. Even though I do understand what it is Joe is trying to do, I do wish he would have pushed the envelope a bit more. My feeling was Dorsey had some conditions about what they could and couldn't talk about prior to agreeing to the podcast. Joe's a pretty respectable guy like that when it comes to accommodating such requests. Maybe in his eyes its better to get the guy on there for the world to see he doesn't want to talk about certain things, then it is to not have him on the show. Who knows...

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I don't think he really had a choice. I view this entire episode to be one of damage control, on part of twitter/facebook/youtube from their attempts at censorship and trying to brainwash the masses. He took their money. He lives/lived in the belly of the beast and sucked nourishment from it. Now it is time for some payback to the beast. He just wasn't very smart about thinking through how this was going to evolve. Now he is stuck.

I am kind of glad though. For them to be sacrificing him in this way means they are getting desperate. If they are getting desperate, maybe things are starting to change.

Maybe all of the tales of conservatives being a small group are simply lies. Maybe we are already in the majority and they are trying to suppress this fact with every fiber of their being. Maybe they are getting scared. This rogan cast gives me hope.

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Joe Rogan, that odious little thumb(seriously, he looks like a thumb) has been selling out hard for the last 2 1/2 years.

Whatever guest is on is who he agrees with, even if his last guest had a stance that was 180°different than his current guest.

He used to be a truthseeker, now he's a mouthpiece.

I stopped listening to The Thumb about 4 months ago.

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Carcharadon

Mr Dickhead has two names?

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: sputniksteve

Longtime listeners of the JRE are not looking for an echo chamber you filthy Stalinist. In fact it was the diversity of the guests that people loved (including myself).

What drew me to it was one day I could listen to Marilyn Manson or Maynard James Keenan on there and the next day I could listen to any number of political commentators from across the spectrum.

Begone Bot! I banish you back to the Beijing troll farm from whence you came.

The fact that you are in the extreme minority on this issue probably convinces you of your moral righteousness.

It doesn't. You think everyone downvoting that interview are new listeners that "just don't get it"?

Give your head a shake Zippy.

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sapphire
a reply to: Carcharadon

Mr Dickhead has two names?

Owen Benjamin (who I'm not the biggest fan of except for his standup which is fantastic)has been calling Rogan The Thumb for a few months now and honestly once you realize Rogan is only a few inches bigger than a thumb and kind of looks like one, you'll never be able to unseen it lol.

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Sigh...

So, is there a clarion call to #Cancel Rogan? Has the Intellectual Dark Web gone full Tusken Raider like the rest of cuckoos and started eating its own now too?

To me, this is just Rogan being Rogan. He's never been a great interviewer and the reason a menagerie of characters from all over the spectrum are comfortable coming on his show is because he is a softy that provides a safe environment for free speech so they can defend their positions. Is that not the point of the show? Why shouldn't the CEO of Twitter receive the same treatment on his show as his friends enjoy just because his company de-platformed them? It'd be more against form for Rogan to assail Dorsey and quite frankly would make him more of a hypocrite to do so. I use to hear the same arguments from the left when Alex Jones would come on the show, "Rogan is a secret right-wing extremist because instead of challenging Alex Jones he let him talk and share his viewpoint".

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: sooth

The point is he didnt treat dorsey the same as CAndace owens, steven crowder, stephen molyneaux, alex jones, nick dipalo, etc.

He pushed back on all of them.

And seeing as how rogan is supposed to be for free speech, allowing and helping dorsey to have these deflcetions looks real bad.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join