It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DBs Boom Stick Thread

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I'm not a "gun guy". I know what a bullet is and I know how to shoot. (I took Trigger-nometry)

But I know the value and worth of firearms.

I have my 1911 to make big boom if ever required.

But I've been looking and have purchased some boom sticks.

My first is a Savage 234 Bolt action. Nice boom stick (I've owned a Savage before) so I do like the rifle

Monday I'm looking at a Winchester 30-30. Actually a couple of them. The newest one is a 1957. Clean and actually comes with the original leather shoulder strap. The other is a 1937 30-30 that has never been fired and is showroom mint condition.

There are many great minds and better "gun guys" here than I am. What do you think? Am I making smart buys or should I stick to just doing backup dancing for Barbara Streisand videos?

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Savage 234 is a neat bolt action, mag-fed, .22 cal rifle. Can't really go wrong with Savage, they're never made anything eye-popping in my opinion, however I do believe they make some very nice basic rifles for the hunting community.

The one I'm interested in is that Winchester 30-30. Is it a level gun or a bolt gun?

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Level gun.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

As a gun girl, I think on the end it is what is comfortable for you that works for you.

For instance, I own a Glock in .45 because I like them... the way they feel, thier durability, etc.

I wouldn't own a Savage unless it is pre-60's. I'm happy with my 308 1958 lever action.

For a hunting rifle for me (125 lbs) I prefer 308 and 243. I am a member of the 300 club and have the scar to prove it.

Always remember to own a decent shotgun!

Just some thoughts but at the end of the day, a lot of it is about how the gun "fits" you.

Happy buying!

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Level gun.

Lever Winchesters are gold standard. Same with Henry Repeating Arms.

I prefer more modern designs.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

the 1937 Winchester is more of an investment piece than a boom stick.

The 1957 feels nice and I'd use that.

My Savage? I wanted a good, reliable varmint gun. Deer hunting with a 243? Never tried it. But I haven't hunted much either. I'm a better fisherman than hunter.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 07:27 PM
link   

The '37 is an investment.

The '57 is something I'd shoot.

A gunsmith I know said always buy pre-1963 Winchesters because the parts were milled differently after 63 and weren't as smooth.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 07:30 PM
link   
"Am I making smart buys or should I stick to just doing backup dancing for Barbara Streisand videos?"

You act like the two aren't related. If you're going to being backing for barbara, you are going to need protection.
edit on 2-2-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

It's always dangerous around Babs.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

the 1937 Winchester is more of an investment piece than a boom stick.

The 1957 feels nice and I'd use that.

My Savage? I wanted a good, reliable varmint gun. Deer hunting with a 243? Never tried it. But I haven't hunted much either. I'm a better fisherman than hunter.

I've killed elk with a 243.

Of course, in my case it's generally a 20 foot shot off of the back balcony so I probably wouldn't try it at range.

Varmints for me are usually of the rock chuck and ground squirrel variety, so a Remington 10/22 was an easy pick.

Coyotes get the 243. I've owned mine long enough that I'm really comfortable with it.

Anything over 100 yards is the 308.

I've a few pre-60's long rifles that look nice and collect dust...

If you really like fishing, you should try out the Clark Fork river in Montana.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Was in Big Sky a while back, found some trout in a stream there.

EPIC!

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I think of the 10/22 with 10,000 rounds as a food producer in case of a zombie apocalypse, one dinner at a time. But it is obviously no good for the zombies themselves.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
I think of the 10/22 with 10,000 rounds as a food producer in case of a zombie apocalypse, one dinner at a time. But it is obviously no good for the zombies themselves.

Yup, 10/22 lite takedown with a gem22 suppressor and 5K rounds of CCI subsonics. Report is about as loud as opening a can of pop.

Pop a zombie head or get yourself some food.
edit on 2-2-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 08:06 PM
link   

The Prepper Holy Trinity plus a 10/22 and 308

AR-15 with decent mags
Glock 17 or 19
Pump action 12 gauge
Ruger 10/22 with BX25 magazines
Bolt action scoped 308

Get a crap ton of ammo... LOL

Find an ex-military guy to train you with the AR or find classes. Learn how to correctly disassemble, clean and maintain your firearms. These are the most common calibers in the United States.

Save the FUDD guns for after the semi-auto ban.
edit on 2-2-2019 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

The Prepper Holy Trinity plus a 10/22 and 308

AR-15 with decent mags
Glock 17 or 19
Pump action 12 gauge
Ruger 10/22 with BX25 magazines
Bolt action scoped 308

Find an ex-military guy to train you with the AR or find classes. Learn how to correctly disassemble, clean and maintain your firearms. These are the most common calibers in the United States.

Well, we were not getting him ready for the zombie apocalypse, but yea, that.

Except I really prefer a lever action with the 308.

A bear charge taught me that it really works better than a bolt action in a "OMFG AAAHHH!!!!!" situation.

Just a thought...

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 08:14 PM
link   

You want quick follow up in dangerous situations.

Nothing beats a nice double rifle. It's for zombie boss battles, but would do well with bear.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Well I just haven't "pulled the trigger" on purchasing that AR10 yet so I have the scoped Rem 700 currently.

AR10 would definitely be my preferred .308 "for the money". PSA is hard to pass up.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

You want quick follow up in dangerous situations.

Nothing beats a nice double rifle. It's for zombie boss battles, but would do well with bear.

Mossburg 600... first two deer slugs, next 5 #4 buckshot... then it's off to the Glock with 13 rounds of hot .45.

If the boss is walking after that then it won...

edit on 2-2-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 08:26 PM
link   

here ya go DC.....

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

originally posted by: schuyler

Yup, 10/22 lite takedown with a gem22 suppressor and 5K rounds of CCI subsonics. Report is about as loud as opening a can of pop.

Pop a zombie head or get yourself some food.

I actually went with an upper level Benjamin pellet gun for that... 22 cal, subsonic and the rounds are cheap and never get old.

Kills turkeys... I have a thousand of them on the property and they are tough bastards.

You could eat on a turkey for a week.. they are so big here that they don't fit in a regular oven.

Of course, if things got horrible I'd live off of trapped rabbit, stupid grouse (you can kill them here with a rock) and trout.

Then there is my bow...

AANNDDD... I have completely derailed the thread.

~wanders off to bed~

edit on 2-2-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join