It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why haven't China landed...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   
A total of 12 American Men have visited the moon, not all have landed, they are;

Apollo 8 (orbiter): Frank Borman, James Lovell, Jr., William Anders.

Apollo 10 (orbiter): Eugene Cernan, John Young, Thomas Stafford.

Apollo 11: Neil A. Armstrong, Michael Collins (orbiter only), Edmin E. Aldrin, Jr.

Apollo 12: Charles Conrad, Jr., Richard F. Gordon (orbiter only), Alan L. Bean

Apollo 14: Alan B. Shepard, Jr., Stuart A. Roosa (orbiter only), Edgar D. Mitchell

Apollo 15: David R. Scott, Alfred M. Worden (orbiter only), James B. Irwin

Apollo 16: James W. Young, Thomas K. Mattingly II (orbiter only), Charles M. Duke, Jr.

Apollo 17: Eugene A. Cernan, Ronald E. Evans (orbiter only), Harrison H. Schmitt

Why hasn't China landed on the moon? Surely in several hundred years China will be bursting full of people, wouldn't they be interested (and this is in the very far future) of inhabiting the moon.

Are they far technologically disadvanced than the U.S? Why are they thirty years behind the U.S?

news.bbc.co.uk...

This link talks about who China is saying it is planning to establish a base on the Moon to exploit its mineral resources.

So have they not been there yet purely from the fact that they do not have the technology to get there?

I personally believe that it could be disaster if Russia, U.S & China all thrive to exploit the moon's mineral resources, and maybe even lead to a war on earth.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
China has increased it's budget on military spending. China won't seriously pursue building a moon base until they feel they can defeat N.A.T.O.

I would assume Japan would start building a moon base before china.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Personally,.....why can't we just get a alliance together to achieve these kind of tasks. It would be much more efficient, and we could achieve much more by all pitching in to explore and gain the benifits for humanity alltogether?.

I think the answer to this is that we are just too devided, and competitive to work together. Its a complete shame really.

I could envision a US/EU/Chinese/Japanese alliance that would achieve much better results.

Carburetor

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I think China's position on the space race is one of standing on the sidelines while the U.S. and the E.U. do all of the main work for them. My reason for saying this is because it will not be long and China will surpass the U.S. for consumption of raw materials such as coal, steel and oil. China's best bet is sitting out of the race until they can trulely benifit by slipping their spies in under the radar and acquiring the need info. they need from us or the EU. China has been known in the not so distant past been able to penetrate the best of our security process's. Remember the the Chinaman that Los Alomos had a fit over? What was his name..Onehung Low or somthing? I just think they are biding their time and will make their move when it is only necessary and that may not be too far off.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
But surely you can't just decide 'we're going to the moon this year'. Doesn't it take years of proper preperation to be ready? Surely the US didn't get there straight away. Maybe when China decide they do want to go it'll be too late and the U.S will claim to 'own' the moon.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Chinese are not interested in a very expensive 15 minutes of fame on the tube by planting a flag, they would do it to make money or build some moonrock hurling maglev overthere for millitary purposes and when they do it, they might do it out of the blue with 40 rockets at once and take those juicy icecraters all at once, giving the rest of the world on two laps behind in the space race...

Currently ESA and NASA are doing all the interesting research FOR them , very soon soon the chinese can just look on the ESA website where just is all the valuable water and minerals and they didn't pay a dime for it, they will get the blueprints for the ion engine as well and copy that for a third of the price...

that is, if you don't keep a close eye on them...

[edit on 4-3-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   

phixion
Are they far technologically disadvanced than the U.S?

Obviously that is the case

Why are they thirty years behind the U.S?

Because they have not expended resources to become as technologically advanced. Heck, the 'great leap forward' probably wiped out an entire generation of scientific research in itself.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Very True, but the last 15 years they have seen remarkeble recovery from the Great Leap Backward. I would say , do not look only where the chinese were yesterday, look at where they might be tomorrow...

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Carburetor
Personally,.....why can't we just get a alliance together to achieve these kind of tasks. It would be much more efficient, and we could achieve much more by all pitching in to explore and gain the benifits for humanity alltogether?.

Why?
Any country that can get workable permanent bases on the moon and planets like mars need not share that incredible wealth and safety frmo anyone else. Why bring human politics onto other planets? Better to make it one countries monopoly.

I could envision a US/EU/Chinese/Japanese alliance that would achieve much better results.

I don't see how. The International Space Station is behind schedule, and the only really succesful space operations, sputnik, apollo, etc, have been the work of a single nation, or at best, a quasi-nation like the EU.

countermeasures
I would say , do not look only where the chinese were yesterday, look at where they might be tomorrow...

Indeed, but it does explain why they are so far behind now.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   

By Flying High
Remember the the Chinaman that Los Alomos had a fit over? What was his name..Onehung Low or somthing?

His name was Dau lay lo moe? Or how about Poke Guy?

top topics

join