It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A deluge of drones fly over Super Bowl stadium, despite ban

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 01:11 PM
link   

ATLANTA (AP) — The sky above the stadium that will host Sunday’s Super Bowl is being “inundated” with an alarming number of drones, raising the specter of injuries to tourists or others — or a possible collision with aircraft, the FBI said Friday.

That’s despite an ongoing restriction that bans the use of drones in the area of Mercedes-Benz Stadium downtown.

Officers on Thursday confiscated a half-dozen drones that were flown near the stadium, FBI spokesman Kevin Rowson said Friday at the agency’s Atlanta field office. The cases will be referred to federal prosecutors for possible charges; the drone pilots could face jail time and fines, Rowson said.

“If these drones go out of control — if a pilot loses control of one — they can go into a crowd and cause serious injuries,” Rowson said.

The potential for terrorism is also a concern.

A deluge of drones fly over Super Bowl stadium, despite ban

I guess it is irresistible to try and get some drone images of Mercedes-Benz Stadium. A lot of people are losing their drones and my even end up in jail. It will be interesting to see how many drones try to film the big game.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Despite what some people want, law and political people, they will proliferate just like cell phones. There will be too many to police, far too many.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Why the concern really? Tptb must have frequency jammers? Most run on 2.4 Ghz, right? just jam 'em. Case solved.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 02:58 PM
link   
They stadium will only be open roof for 8 minutes at start of game.
There is not much reason to film but some like to upset police takeovers of civilization.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Shockerking

Its the crash factor

EMT

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shockerking
Why the concern really? Tptb must have frequency jammers? Most run on 2.4 Ghz, right? just jam 'em. Case solved.

Totally the right answer.

They will have to be selective jammers though, as wide band coverage would affect WiFi, many phone systems, FitBits, etc...

Most frequencies used by drones are sidebands on the following main carrier frequencies:

900 MHz Early drones
1.2 GHz Early and present drones
1.3 GHz Early and present drones
2.4 GHz Present, control
3.3 GHz Present, control, some video
5.8 GHz Present Control and video

The jamming would have to be specific ranges in these bands.
Those not encrypted to their transmitter/receivers could even be captured, and brought to a specific location to be confiscated.

edit on 2-2-2019 by charlyv because: content

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 03:15 PM
link   
You can not jam a programmed route. Some drones can fly without receiving radio instructions. They cost more.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: UncleTomahawk

You could jam their GPS receivers though. Also, any video feeds back from them.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Some drones do not require rf receivers to carry out operations. Pre-programmed flight parameters. This is what some bad guys would use.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Are drones small enough to be brought in by Game attendees?

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Would that not hinder local aircraft ? FAA might not allow.
a reply to: charlyv

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv

originally posted by: Shockerking

Totally the right answer.

They will have to be selective jammers though, as wide band coverage would affect WiFi, many phone systems, FitBits, etc...

Most frequencies used by drones are sidebands on the following main carrier frequencies:

900 MHz Early drones
1.2 GHz Early and present drones
1.3 GHz Early and present drones
2.4 GHz Present, control
3.3 GHz Present, control, some video
5.8 GHz Present Control and video

The jamming would have to be specific ranges in these bands.
Those not encrypted to their transmitter/receivers could even be captured, and brought to a specific location to be confiscated.

Jamming could cause problems with devices used for security and by the teams.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I think a good point to make here is that if a person is stupid enough to try and fly a drone over the Superbowl, can they tie their own shoes.

We are not talking geniuses here, but rather Kindergarten dropouts. A few months of not daring to bend over to pick up the soap if they drop it, would perhaps wise them up.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

If they used our wonderful TSA guys at the gate then drone smuggling would be in play.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Are drones small enough to be brought in by Game attendees?

Yes, some are. Most would not be able to take very good images or no images.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
a reply to: UncleTomahawk

You could jam their GPS receivers though. Also, any video feeds back from them.

I am sure the NFL has looked into this. They hate unauthorized images of the NFL.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Hmm...

My dad brought his drone over so we could get some pics of the mango trees behind my house. The Ft Lauderdale Executive Airport is a mile north/west of my house. While that airport is mostly for flight training and business execs, the military also uses it for staging their training missions. It's been a few months, but last year they were doing training drills with the black heli's that you couldn't hear until they're right over your head. My dad would start flying the drone north and it would stop and push back in the opposite direction. After about 20 minutes, he couldn't get it take off at all. If I remember right, he got an alert on his controller warning him that he was flying too close to a prohibited area.

Seems they'd be able to incorporate something like this in the area. I know I'd be PISSED if I were watching the Pats destroy the Rams and a drone landed on my head as Brady is throwing his 600th TD pass!

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv
Thanks. We know this no threat. But why the concern and story?

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Also what about old school FM/am frequencies; there are old 6 channel radios on these frquensies that will operate a drone (range is small) But still, geese I hope they remember to block them also?
edit on 2 2 2019 by Shockerking because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 08:37 PM
link   
A quadcopter community I am part of, there's a conspiracy TPTB are doing all this to make public ownership of UAV's difficult or illegal, because the authorities fear we can use the tech against them.

Me? I think as always a few are just gonna ruin it for the many every time because that is what people do.

Sadly many view quadcopters as toys and are clueless regarding the laws about flying them, even if new aircraft tend to come with a pamphlet outlining the basics.

My quad cost me about $3000aud new, then the company liquidated their stock and you could get them from Best Buy for $250usd or less from then on.

The morons came out of the woodwork quickly and in large numbers then.

It's a 1.8kg flying brick that will kill you should it fall from high enough, not to mention the rotors will slice and dice you nicely.

But for most humans it seems that once you make it cheap it stops being a machine/tool and becomes a toy even if the potential dangers and laws remain the same.

Oh well something more for the MSM to fearmonger over for views instead of trying to educate people about being better humans, and something for dinosaur politicians to use to control us more....

Big thank you to the 85% of humans who are idiots.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join