It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My 23andme results are in and i got a few surprises

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I don't understand why anybody would give their DNA to corporations.... Who knows what they'll do with that..

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

Chris Roberts.

Hospitals are not allowed to share your medical information without your consent. Whether they are or not is a different argument.

Your argument is, "well other corporations or countries do it so it doesn't matter." ? "China can steal your organs if they want so it doesn't matter."

Backwards thinking.

I'm not willingly giving my DNA to any corporation.

edit on 2-2-2019 by booyakasha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   

My sister and brother each had it done at different companies, then compared results. They were pretty much the same as I recall. Predominantly English, Irish, Welsh and Norwegian, and a little Iberian (Basque?) -- all what we already knew.

When they were talking about it, I said to my kids -- "Take note... if you commit a crime the authorities have access to your DNA thanks to your auntie and uncle!" I think that was the first my sister had thought about it, but my brother was quick to say that he told them to destroy his sample... like the records won't live forever!

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: booyakasha

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: Peeple

I have a question: Why is that meaningful to you? I mean it doesn't matter at all the influence it has in you is basically zero in comparison to family and cultural environment you grew up in.

Then you are not listening to what it is telling you. You have your own culture, yet you are related to these people who don't. That just might mean that your culture is not quite as important as you think because we are all related. If you can bring yourself to realize that black guy who doesn't look at all like you, yet is your third cousin (or 4th or 10th), then maybe those differences aren't that important after all.

originally posted by: booyakasha

I refuse to send my DNA to a corporation with more power than they can handle.

That doesn't matter in the least. Your refusal is irrelevant. Let me tell you a little story. My half brother just found me on 23andme. It matched us as 25% shared DNA. He'd been looking for his biological father or ten years. We've met. It's fun, but the point here is that our father never submitted anything to 23andme or any other company. In fact he died before those test were available. I'm pretty sure he never knew my brother was born. Yet he was found out. You don't need to do anything, but you can't control all your relatives, and that is all that is needed. If you're afraid for your kidneys I feel sorry or you that you live with that level of paranoia.

Also i'm not paranoid that will happen. I just know it could and i could care less about if i have .23% native American in my blood. One things for sure, I don't want to be part of that database. But by all means, you go ahead and jump on the bandwagon.

If you're worried that someone might come steal your kidney because of a DNA match, you have other problems. But you missed the point. You ARE part of "that database." My father was not a "part of that database," yet he still got pegged. And if it were 50 years ago, he would have been liable for child support.

DNA testing can also do a lot of good. How about proving you are NOT the father? And how about the Innocence Project where they have exonerated hundreds of prisoners through DNA evidence. And it's not just the wrongly convicted. Nationwide thousands of people have been proclaimed innocent after DNA testing before they got to prison. And how about the medical field? One of the drivers for my brother was not knowing the family medical history that his doctor kept asking him. It might just be a good thing to know you are a carrier for Muscular Dystrophy, for example.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: booyakasha

of course they cant use your info, but that doesnt mean they wont but that is besides the point

i was trying to saying that you give your blood at a doctors office with the understanding they wont do anything sketchy. 23andMe has a very good reason not to share the info because as soon as they do that without permission they will lose business from potential customer.

for all they know that isnt my real name and location. Their database is cataloged by long randomized numbers so it would be hard to link the test to a person. the person could just say it wasn't their test and there would be no way to prove otherwise.

if the government wants you DNA or any other information they would just take it, they could theoretically come up with some false criminal charges and make it a semi serious one(in NY depending on the crime you are mandated to give a DNA sample) they found the cleveland sleeper(serial killer) after mandatory DNA testing when his son got arrested they got a partial hit from one of the rape/murder victims the father killed.

im not to worried about anyone using my DNA for scientific research.

worse case scenario is they replicated my DNA and after they committed a serious felony use the DNA they grew to frame me.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   

That 0.2 % unassigned is probably from the guy in your avatar.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   

FYI submit to that 3 times and the results will be different each time...as well, I've heard brothers and sisters can both have different results, even with same parents.*

*PS I had a professional genealogist tell me this and did her own 4 times...and results were not exact each time.

Advised is to submit the test at least a few times for comparison...like an at-home pregnancy kit

Just passin' this along.....M.S.
edit on 2-2-2019 by mysterioustranger because: Oops

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   

very true. I don't think you should be worried and I'm not trying to convince you they are doing anything nefarious with your DNA. I just have this weird thing where i don't trust anyone.

I choose to avoid doing business with them.

Also what if they have cloning factory and now there are 120 of you training for a secret military police force in a a deep underground military base... just kidding

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 01:01 PM
link   
My ancestry says I am 99 percent Finn. But we were led to believe that we were half swede but I guess the Finns took over a little part of Sweden for thousands of years so that little part of Sweden is mostly finish people. Kids being naughty and marrying someone from across the border did not work out well I guess, so even though I am half swede, I am not Swede at all.

I thought I might have a little Norwegian in me too, evidently the name Nordman is from North Finland too.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Privacy stuff aside, i really don't understand the fascination with knowing where your ancestors came from. They're dead and where they're from really has zero meaning in day to day life. I also figure, honestly, most people have a bunch of things in them if you go back far enough. Humans have been migrating, pillaging, and conquering for a long time. It really just seems meaningless.

The one person i know in real life who's used one of those was an old dutch guy i worked for. He just kept going on about how purely aryan his family was. I guess it made him happy.

Personally i just kind of like not knowing. It gives me one less piece of useless knowledge cluttering my mind. I've got enough of that # already.

Edit:

Also just after reading your thread i stumbled on this

www.nytimes.com...
edit on 2/2/2019 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 03:00 PM
link   

The more people that willingly submit their DNA the more complete their database will be.

They are able to identify you through the DNA submitted by a family member. Unless you were adopted.

I just realized that they are likely to be able to identify you as the odd man out, if you were adopted, so they still would be able to identify you.

Authorities used DNA, genealogy website, to track down ‘Golden State Killer’ suspect decades after crimes

www.washingtonpost.com... hanic/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.53db1a077de0

edit on 2-2-2019 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Addendum

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I have to get one of these done. Thanks for reminding me and posting your results. I also think it's fascinating along with the history of our species and where I came from so to speak. What your results are doesn't matter, make you better or worse, but they are you. Plus, we hear stories from our parents and family, naturally we want to see how much truth is in there.

When I used to look into a test they were pricey for me but they've probably gone down some so I'll look around. My half sister told me that she had one done and it came back 3% Middle Eastern Jew or something. Her dad is Scottish with red and blonde hair, born in the Mid West. Our mothers maiden name is Stein, she had quite the nose on her, and she had dark brown hair and eyes. Her family was very German Catholic and from the Mid West. She claimed her dark features were from Cherokee Indian in the family, of which she claimed to be 1/8th, which I doubt but, it'd be cool to find out. My sister also said the Native American % came back slim or none, I forgot which but I remember her mentioning it regarding this.

edit on 2/2/2019 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco
a reply to: Peeple

I think this is very important in this time where race is a huge dividing issue.

This is the time it has been the least dividing in history.

But of course in some peoples heads it's much much worse now than when people were really coming to harm over genetics.

Even if we found we all have the same DNA and genetics despite outward appearances. People would still find things to self segregate over.
Some humans will always need to feel more important and different to others. Even if it choice of football team they support.

A lot of the worlds problems aren't as big as some squeaky wheels and the MSM make them out to be.
But acknowledging that won't get them the grease now will it.

Oh well I'll stick with how I behave as a human being as being more important than the origin of my genetics or my appearance.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join