It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My 23andme results are in and i got a few surprises

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 10:19 AM
link   

i am 6'3 white guy with blonde/red hair so these results are pretty interesting. My mom has native american in hers but like .3% so it is more than likely in my 'other' area.

the cool thing about these dna tests is they tell you if and where you have genetic relatives(outside your known family), i have 3ed and 4th cousins in africa and jamaica that are...how do i say this....much darker in skin tone than myself.

has anyone gotten surprising results from their test?

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

I have a question: Why is that meaningful to you?
I mean it doesn't matter at all the influence it has in you is basically zero in comparison to family and cultural environment you grew up in.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

its not meaningful in the sense of how i live or feel about myself.

however i do find it fascinating to know ones genetic background, it represents my DNA's travel thru time to make me.

23andMe also shows you a genetic family tree, i have a kind of small family but now i know there are tons of 2nd and 3ed cousins all over the world.

my DNA is verified to exist and be traceable for over 600,000 years, pretty neat.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 10:38 AM
link   

I refuse to send my DNA to a corporation with more power than they can handle.

something about the biggest corporation in the world working with the FBI and and having access to everyones genetic code seems kinda sketchy to me.

Say the CEO of google needs a kidney transplant.
They now have access to everyones DNA records.
They know where everyone with a smart phone is at all times
They own the FBI and CIA.
They now can track down the exact match, hack into their smart car, crash that sucker into a wall, and obtain a the kidney they need to save a "more important" life, and cover it all up with out anyone realizing.

Thats cool you have black cousins though.

By the way it's ok to say "black people"...

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 10:40 AM
link   

How is this any different from doing a family tree?
People have been doing that for years.
I think it's fascinating to know that my mothers side came from France and my fathers side came from England.
No, It does not effect my day to day life but I still think it's pretty cool.

On a side note I don't want to send my DNA away for study.
Too much conspiracy theorist in me for that.

(post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I think this is very important in this time where race is a huge dividing issue. Bottom line there are very few people that are of a pure race yet we seperate ourselves based on the ignorance of our past. My question is how could you not want to know your lineage?

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 10:45 AM
link   

I think that 0.2% unassigned is EBE-Reptilian

has anyone gotten surprising results from their test?

I found out that I'm much more Northern European than I initially thought.

I also found out that my father didn't sire me, and that my mother's father did not sire her.
Just today, in another thread, I recounted some of my experiences with DNA testing over the years. link

As the old saying goes: "Be careful what you wish for. You might just get it. And a lot more that you didn't expect." (or something like that)

-dex

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

I have a question: Why is that meaningful to you? I mean it doesn't matter at all the influence it has in you is basically zero in comparison to family and cultural environment you grew up in.

Then you are not listening to what it is telling you. You have your own culture, yet you are related to these people who don't. That just might mean that your culture is not quite as important as you think because we are all related. If you can bring yourself to realize that black guy who doesn't look at all like you, yet is your third cousin (or 4th or 10th), then maybe those differences aren't that important after all.

originally posted by: booyakasha

That doesn't matter in the least. Your refusal is irrelevant. Let me tell you a little story. My half brother just found me on 23andme. It matched us as 25% shared DNA. He'd been looking for his biological father or ten years. We've met. It's fun, but the point here is that our father never submitted anything to 23andme or any other company. In fact he died before those test were available. I'm pretty sure he never knew my brother was born. Yet he was found out. You don't need to do anything, but you can't control all your relatives, and that is all that is needed. If you're afraid for your kidneys I feel sorry or you that you live with that level of paranoia.
edit on 2/2/2019 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: booyakasha

my mom got us all the kits for a stocking stuff for christmas and she asked me if i wanted to get the one that tests for medical stuff(if you're genetically predisposed to get something, not a diagnosis) and i said no, im a hypochondriac.

i did think about them saving my DNA and what they might do with it as one of their questions is if they can store it to help with future profiling and other science type stuff.

i figured if someone wanted my DNA for a nefarious reason it would be pretty easy to get, and with 23andMe you don't have to give them a real name and they have no real identifying information, other than what you give them in the optional surveys.

besides if some super rich person needs a transplant they can just go to China and get one on demand from China's human rights nightmare of a prison/death sentence system.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   

23andMe is Google, and all your phones were listening to you and tracking the situation from the christmas party all the way to the post office.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I don't get it. Seems like tribalism must play a more important role in your life to have an interest in stuff like that.
I'm 50% pirate and 49% sociopath, I need no family trees or DNA tests. Arrgh

But as long as it makes you happy...

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

i have been told that i was german and welsh(and other areas around the UK) my whole life.

my family didn't really have a good family tree so this was a pretty shocking result, im glad i have a global smattering of DNA.

IgnoranceIsntBlisss: remember that woman who said she was black that worked for the ACLU(or wherever)i think im going to go back to school and ask for some funding that only minorities get. if that woman who has zero ties to the race she claimed to get a job i figure that because i am african american now i should get all sorts of free money...right? that's how this works i think.../sarcasm

DexterRiley: wow how delightfully scandalous
how did everyone in your family react? did your parents know and just didn't tell you? or was it a surprise for everyone. i can see that getting very awkward or heated.

schuyler:

(post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 11:04 AM
link   

A good "Italian" friend of mine did this recently to find out what part of Italy his family originated from. Boy was he surprised to find out that, not only wasn't his family from Italy. He had no italian heritage whatsoever and was in fact predominently Jewish. He was a New York Italian if you know what I mean. His results are the reason these tests are so awesome. He now is trying to find about his Jewish family and believe they went into hiding during the WW.

Thanks for sharing. Further proves we have more in common than we all think.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   

On the plus side, you are now in the database of every government agency ever...

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: Peeple

I have a question: Why is that meaningful to you? I mean it doesn't matter at all the influence it has in you is basically zero in comparison to family and cultural environment you grew up in.

Then you are not listening to what it is telling you. You have your own culture, yet you are related to these people who don't. That just might mean that your culture is not quite as important as you think because we are all related. If you can bring yourself to realize that black guy who doesn't look at all like you, yet is your third cousin (or 4th or 10th), then maybe those differences aren't that important after all.

originally posted by: booyakasha

That doesn't matter in the least. Your refusal is irrelevant. Let me tell you a little story. My half brother just found me on 23andme. It matched us as 25% shared DNA. He'd been looking for his biological father or ten years. We've met. It's fun, but the point here is that our father never submitted anything to 23andme or any other company. In fact he died before those test were available. I'm pretty sure he never knew my brother was born. Yet he was found out. You don't need to do anything, but you can't control all your relatives, and that is all that is needed. If you're afraid for your kidneys I feel sorry or you that you live with that level of paranoia.

Doesn't mean your kidney will work for them. You need the exact match to make a kidney work. They wouldn't risk murdering you for your kidney if they weren't positive it was a match.

Also i'm not paranoid that will happen. I just know it could and i could care less about if i have .23% native American in my blood.
One things for sure, I don't want to be part of that database. But by all means, you go ahead and jump on the bandwagon.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: booyakasha

are you willing to have blood work done at the doctors?

they have every single piece of info they need on you pretty much before the blood test, if people were harvesting test subjects organs that would be the test to do. you would have their DNA and would be able to tell if your blood types were the same and all the other parameters needed for a successful transplant in one test tube.

China and Israel have an almost on demand organ transplant for anyone with the money, there are stories of people who got their transplant in China where the people said they had 3 operations done because the first two didnt take. People wait years or never make it waiting for a kidney or heart/lung transplant in the western medical system but in that story he had all three transplants as soon as his body could take them(they have extras on deck.

there are stories of Israel doing the same kind of things but to arab your men that they claim were anti-israel fighters.

besides the government already has my DNA that they took for my job

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   
My mother did one of these to see how much it varied from the meticulous records research my grandmother, and eventually myself, did to trace the family lines.

It actually didn't uncover anything new at all, lol, she was more than a little pissed. It completely corroborated the decades of genealogical research. I don't know what she thought she was going to find to ooh and ahh over, but it wasn't there. Oh well. It's pretty awesome to know we were THAT good at the digging, though.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I don't understand why anybody would give their DNA to corporations.... Who knows what they'll do with that..

top topics

<<   2 >>

join