It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jimmy Kimmel's mega-racist blackface video.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
a reply to: ColeYounger

How about that movie with Robert Downey Jr. in black face (and body) for an entire film. What was that, Tropical Thunder or some such

Stupid movie

That was a bit different. That joke was that he was in black face and couldn't break character. Pissing the (real) black character off.

So in turn they were poking fun at movies using black face. I don't see any harm in that.
edit on 2-2-2019 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

He was a dude, playin' a dude, disguised as another dude. BlueJacket is the dude that don't know what dude his is!

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 11:14 AM
link   

In regards to megan Kelly and Jimmy, I think it's just white people being a bit naive. Jimmy should of had a black friend or coworker to say that's not a good idea.

I don't think your show and career should be killed because you made a mistake in your past...

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
a reply to: DAVID64

The Left will defend this by saying " it's comedy" or it was " just a joke".

excuse me, but pretty much everybody here said it was ok when them Covington high school kids did it... remember that? I mean everybody here said it was ok.... lets see what they say now?

Not a sports fan ?

answers.yahoo.com...

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I don't have a problem with this, it's a sketch. Just like a don't have a problem when Dave Chappelle put on white make up for his sketches.

Except white face wasn't used in a racist way in the past.. History is the big difference here..

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
But by the same token, perhaps Northam dressed in black face as a joke as well.

I'm sure he did.

Is it more offensive because his comedy wasnt professional or on television?

From this standpoint, yes, because we don't know the context and when Kimmel or Chappelle get done up in black and white make up respectively we know the context, it's a sketch comedy.

edit on 2-2-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
If it's just a sketch, why is Sarah Silverman so ashamed of her blackface sketch?

Ask her.

Who gets to decide when it's acceptable?
You?

For me? Yeah.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
Except white face wasn't used in a racist way in the past.. History is the big difference here..

What Kimmel is doing isn't blackface. That's a whole different genre.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Meh, personally I do not see a problem if someone dresses as a black person, if they are doing it in a tasteful way, not intending to be racist. I mean if two guys wanted to go to a Halloween party, dressed as the Men In Black, from the movie, and both were white guys, I don't see a big deal, one of the guys would have to be Will Smith. I guess that is unacceptable now.

Also, no I do not have a problem with Kimmel doing this, but like I said, I would not have a problem with two white guys, being the Men in Black.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The truth in these situations is that the mob doesn't care unless white conservatives can be blamed.

edit on 2-2-2019 by SKEPTEK because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   

But by the same token, perhaps Northam dressed in black face as a joke as well.

I'm sure he did.

Is it more offensive because his comedy wasnt professional or on television?

From this standpoint, yes, because we don't know the context and when Kimmel or Chappelle get done up in black and white make up respectively we know the context, it's a sketch comedy.

But I think the events of last week should show us if we dont know the context, we shouldnt rush to judgement.

It is quite conceiveable whoever those two in that photo on Northams page are, they were dressed up as a joke.

So the calls for resignation and him being a racist are unfounded in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 11:36 AM
link   

It is quite conceiveable whoever those two in that photo on Northams page are, they were dressed up as a joke.

I'm sure they thought it was a joke, it's just not a very funny one and I have a rather perverse sense of humor.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I'm sure they thought it was a joke, it's just not a very funny one and I have a rather perverse sense of humor.

I agree its not that funny.

Neither is what kimmel is doing, or what ted danson did, etc.

Nonetheless, if we start punishing people for unfunny comedy, we are gonna be punishing an awful lot of people, starting with myself.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Neither is what kimmel is doing...

I thought Kimmel was funny. Charles Barkley is an imbecile and he sounded just like him with the nonsense he was saying.

...or what ted danson did, etc.

I thought Danson's cringe worthy.

edit on 2-2-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Well anything from the past will offend the current generation of weak bone over sensitive cattle.
So I suggest everyone that is born after 85 should steer clear of youtube and social media, lock the door and never come out.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Neither is what kimmel is doing...

I thought Kimmel was funny. Charles Barkley is an imbecile and he sounded just like him with the nonsense he was saying.

...or what ted danson did, etc.

I thought Danson's cringe worthy.

Hahahaha!

careful, that was Karl Malone Kimmel was making fun of.

Dont want the PC crowd saying you are lumping all people of color together.

But on a serious note, i dont find any of this that offensive.

Jokes are jokes, even if they are bad. I dont think any of these prove racism in any way, even if they can be cringe worthy.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Here's Jimmy Fallon imitating Chris Rock. The black people in the audience don't appear amused.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

What Kimmel is doing isn't blackface. That's a whole different genre.

I agree that what Kimmel did wasn't the old blackface shtick, but what Megyn Kelly referred to wasn't blackface either.
She said it was (on Halloween) young girls showing how much they idolized Dianna Ross. Kelly's show was cancelled within 48 hours. I wonder how many black people thought Kimmel's mocking Carl Malone was funny.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

That's a dumb thing for anyone to say though.

Because everyone knows that the original blackface shows were all about comedy and jokes.

The difference (kind of) is that jimmy doesn't think his race is superior to another. I assume.

Personally I have no problem with races dressing up like each other and making jokes.
Sticks and stones and all that.

I believe ether we can joke about everything or nothing. Make a choice.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join