It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Collaborative Fiction: Your Rules and Regulations Suggestions.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Hi,

I guess this would be to John Bull 1, or anyone else who might know. I just recently gained the status of "writer", and have been ever since taking part in a collaborative story started by DontTreadOnMe, called, "The Neighbors from Hell".

However, from reading some other people's posts, I gather that somewhere, there is a set of Rules and Regulations specific to this forum. If that is the case, I would be interested in reading them.

Anyone who can help with a URL, a thread, whatever, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks a lot.

[edit on 28-2-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
You can read them right here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
OK, Thanks Cyberkat

The Collaborative Fiction rules have evolved somewhat here are the First Rules

Since then we've moved on but written guidelines have not.

At a basic level the rules of the forum are the same as the rules of the board in content.

What I'm going to suggest is that those that use this forum should reply to this thread with the rules they'd like to see specifific to this forum.

Your suggestions will form the basis of the forum rules.

Make them simple and easy to understand and number them please.

JB1

[edit on 28-2-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Oooohhhh. I just read the First Rules, and I guess I'm not doing it right! I just reached "writer" status the day before yesterday, and was eager to get started.

I ended up adding to a piece of collaborative fiction that was new, had just been started that day by another member who had also just reached "writer" status.

So far, there seems to be only the two of us working on it. I personally would prefer if there were a couple others involved also, although I thought that just the two of us, both on our first attempt at collaborative fiction were doing pretty well at picking up where the other left off.

But, I certainly wouldn't want to lose my new status, as I truly like to write.

I'm sorry for not knowing about that rule ahead of time, and continuing on with the project without the involvement of more people. Should we wrap it up now? Or continue on as we have been until it plays itself out?

BTW, how would one go about getting more people collaborating on one story? Write something really, really interesting?

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Well, forget those rules for now.

We were aiming at something far more regulated when they were written up.

Start thinking about the rules you want

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I think the only rules a writer actually needs is the rules of the english language. It's far easier to maul, bend and break those rules if you know what they are. Most people break them all willy nilly like

I think that if a story is showing promise or getting attention it should have two threads. One for the story itself, a second thread for the writers to actually collaborate and discuss where it should go, submit ideas, think it thru and after the decisions have been made, they can write some more and post it to the actual story on the first thread. This way the story can be read straight thru with no breaks or strange wonderings stuck between each chapter.

If the collaboraters know what the last sentence of the story is going to be, it makes it far easier to craft a decent story towards that end, and allows them to focus more on their prose.

Just a few thoughts. Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   
mrwupy, I like this idea.

I think that if a story is showing promise or getting attention it should have two threads. One for the story itself, a second thread for the writers to actually collaborate and discuss where it should go, submit ideas, think it thru and after the decisions have been made

Actually, cyberKat and I are kinda doing that now. My story is on one thread and were are commenting a little on another thread. Just playing it by ear.
I think both of us are having fun right now, which should be another rule. If it's not fun....

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Rule Number Theven, Thub Clauthe Thikthteen:

Rethpect dwarvethth that carry aktheththth, for rethuming the queththt.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Hi,

I'm really not one for imposing rules, but since I'm the one who inquired about them in the first place, FWIW, here are my tentave suggestions:

As a few of you know, my "writer" status is very new, so although I enjoy writing, I have never before participated in any sort of collatorated writing.

As DontTreadOnMe mentioned a couple of posts up, she started a thread a few days ago. There were so many to choose from, but most of them were over a year old it seemed. Also, I didn't (don't) have enough experience with collaboration to feel comfortable enough to jump into other people's stories nearly a year later. Therefore, I chose the one that had just been started by DontTreadOnMe.

And yes, I have (and still am) enjoying working together on the story. However, for whatever reason, it hasn't been getting much attention, and I can see where a story can eventually become stale, or stagnant, if there are only two people working on it, and they get to a point where neither one really knows anymore where the story is going and/or how it should end up. (I wont say specifically whether or not that is the case on this particular one), but I can see where there could easily be many threads started by someone with a good idea, then picked up by one with a totally different direction in mind, they go back and forth, and really go nowhere.

If a story starts reading like that, it probably won't generate much interest for anyone new to want to add to it.

So, bearing that in mind, my thoughts in general on the subject of rules would probably go something like this:

1) I do not think that any writer should be "assigned" to any particular story, as each persons interests and areas of knowledge are different. Writers ought to be allowed to choose which story (or stories) they wish to contribute to. I don't see any reason why a writer should be restricted to working on only one story if they see or think of another one of interest at the same time. As long as it does not detract from their creativity on each one.

2) There should not be a pre-determined number of people required to collaborate on a work of fiction, as that could be really debillitating(sp?) to what could be a great story, if the story was never written due to the fact that the collaborators were lacking one person, or had one too many.

3) However, if a story has been going on for......?say maybe two? pages - something like that, and there are only two people working on it, or even if there are more but the story isn't going anywhere, it is growing boring and is generating little or no interest, there should be an allowance for an additional thread to the original, urging other writers to take a look at the story, and see if they would be interested in adding some new ideas. (Something like that, I don't have exact wording). Then, if after a day, maybe two?, there is still no interest, the story should then be wrapped up and brought to an end within no more than say.....4? more posts.

3a) Also along the lines of an extra thread, I like the idea of having one to go with each and every story, for the collaborators to come to some sort of general concept of what they are striving for, and yes, all involved should be working toward a pre-determined ending. That still leaves enough room during the writing of it, for it to take many twists and turns, as each writer sees fit.

4) Another thing, maybe if a story is going really well, is generating a lot of interest, and the people working on it are working well together, pick up nicely where the other left off, etc... and they don't want any additional writers jumping in on that particular story, there should be allowed for some sort of message at the front of the story, something to the effect that there no new openings for writers on that particular story.

4a) Or, vice versa. If the writers think they have a good story in the making, but feel that more input is needed, they ought to be able to preface the title with something to the effect that the thread is open to other writers....

5) In looking at some of the other older stories in progress, occasionally, a story would be started, sound promising, then someone would jump in with a sarcastic remark that has nothing to do with the story, perhaps a comment on a writers grammar or spelling, for instance, or something else that adds nothing to the story. Then someone else, or perhaps the person being criticized will jump to reply to it with a retort. After a couple of those type things, it becomes easy to forget what the story is really about.

Stuff like that seems to be very distracting, and any postings in the middle of any collaborative fiction in the works should be strictly prohibited. It can really ruin a story, or at least cause readers to lose interest.

6) Most of all, though, other than the obvious - like following the same ediquette that is enforced in all the forums, The Rules and Regulations in this Forum should be left mostly to the Writers themselves. As having too many rules to have to adhere to, in fear of being banned, losing writer status, etc... I think would stiffle creativity quite a bit, and perhaps deter otherwise good writers from participating.

There is one rule in the general forum ediquette, though that seems kind of grey to me as far as belonging in collaborative fiction. That is the one pertaining to anything illegal. As long as it is known that what is read in this particular forum is FICTION, it seems as if there is a serial killer, a rapist, a stalker, etc.. for example who the story may revolve around, or there is a character with a drug problem, or any other instance where a story is made interesting, or more interesting by having a "villian", or a charactor who does not abide by the law ought to be allowed, as long as it is an interesting contribution to the story, and not just one random post. (I don't know, what do others think?)

Most of these are just sort of general, and any revisions would be welcomed. Although, I do feel rather strongly about #5, dealing with people making disruptive posts that contribute absolutely nothing to the story.

So, there's my two cents.

[edit on 3/1/2005 by CyberKat]

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Hi,

Although I am very much enjoying it, I am very new to the whole concept of Collatorative Fiction. I have only had "writer" status for about a week or so. I am however, aware that we need some guidelines that we all can follow in order to keep this forum interesting and fun, both for the writers and their readers.

A few days ago, I had sort of outlined some concepts that were mostly formed just of my own opinion. However, they are very rough, and there is probably I have left out, either unintentially, or just because I am not familiar enough yet with the forum. Maybe because of my inexperience, I added something that is ridiculous. I don't know.

Please, I don't want to be held responsible for any "bad" rules. IMHO, I need some help from some of the more experienced writers, if you don't mind, and if you have time.

Thanks.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
sorry about the all caps title but can some one please tell me how i would be able to contribute to this forum please cause i got great stories but don't know if i can post them so a little help will be appreciated

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Why can't you post a new thread? You already have "writer" status.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
but aren't i supposed to have like somesort of a team please jump in and correct me if i am wrong john

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
no, the idea is you start your story.
then, if there are interested parties, they collaborate and add to you story.

some stories get collaborated, some not. You have to pique your fellow writer's interest.
Have you read any of the stickies or any of the stories here yet?

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   
nah i haven't gotten around to doing that i have been having internet connection trouble today but i'll try

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   
You can also post your story in the Short Stories forum if you don't want a collaborative effort.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Hey Writers, Is it possible that you guys and gals try to write more than one line when collaborating with others in the collab fiction stories?

IMO each entry when collaborating should have at 2-3 lines or more, give the story some direction, one liners imo belong on BTS, we have the three word story and at least 2 let's make story threads there that one liners would be appropriate.

I would like to see more thought put into entries in this forum, if an idea is posted in this forum then the story is up for real collaboration, each writer can change, add to, push further any aspect of the story, however with just one liners, the trend tends to have the story go all over the place.

This is just a suggestion for the time being, I really don't want to start a no one liner policy here, since it is okay for you offer praise and criticism of works read here in one line form.

Writers this is your forum, so raise the standard and bars and push yourself to be more creative and prolific. Strive for more than one liners

btw, I am open to suggestions, feel free to use this thread to add yours:

[edit on 6-5-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I agree WW, this forum is a great example of the creative abilities of ATS members
, I think that striving for several lines would be a great goal to work for & achieve.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I would like to be able to use colourful language in my fiction.

Would it be possible to use 'four letter words' as long as it is not excessive or exploitive?

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I have a question regarding copyrights and items posted in this forum. Does ATS claim copyrights to stories, et al, posted in this forum? If so, can you provide a link to the copyright information.

Thank you.

Bibliophile

[edit on 4/27/2006 by Bibliophile]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join