It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you find weird about America or Americans?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut
a reply to: JAGStorm

Bread that has so much sugar in it, it tastes like cake. Yuk.

Americans talk about freedom but have the highest number, and highest ratio, of incarcerated citizens of any nation in the world.

Americans talk about peace but have a hand in nearly every 20th century war, more so than any other nation.

Americans have had leaders, like Lincoln, Kennedy and those who framed the Constitution, with truly great and beautiful dreams of a utopian society, but Americans all seem live like it's Gotham City and/or gansta heaven.

Americans are greedily acquisitive and have little charity (surprisingly, the poor give more freely and graciously than the wealthy). I suppose the rest of the world has that flaw.

Americans claim to have been the turning point of WW2 but ignore the fact that it was almost over when they joined. They also ignore the contributions of the Russians in the 'turning of the tide'.

Americans think they have some sort of mandate to be the world police. Yet when a country needs them, but doesn't have anything they want, where's America? Also there's the push into situations where they aren't wanted, like with the bases in Japan, Europe and a lot of the Pacific.

And guns? Americans have a gun crime and gun suicide problem and their solution is more guns?

Americans also have a legal problem. Their law is diluting and becoming meaningless. Law based upon precedent, that is leaving behind the best intent of the original framers of the law, and being replaced with some sort of mechanized inhumane list of actions with which to determine the next iteration. The consequence is insanity like it being 'lawful' to 'abort' those who have already been born!

And the inability to see the world as neither one thing, nor the other. Like 'if you didn't vote for Trump', then you must be an extreme left supporter of the Dems' mindset.

And the belief that public opinion matters more than actual physical limitations and rules. As an example, the idea that if confidence remains high, that the GDP can grow forever (on nothing but a warm feeling).

Americans 'news' seems to consist of a panel of people discussing their opinions, now matter how way-out or un-evidenced the basis. Real actual news seems to escape them.

Americans can invent something, that they know is a fiction because they just made it up, and then immediately use that to justify their opinions, apparently.

You are mostly correct on this but i thought this thread was more light hearted, like why Americans love icecream so much and such

Still i love how you very much said all that had to be said lol

The sugar thing LMFAO!

You want sugar with your sugar? We also have a sugar special this Friday, you can get two sugars for the price of one!

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 11:03 PM
link   

What do I find weird about America.

I find it weird how fat poor people are in America.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: BoneSay

Americans talk about freedom but have the highest number, and highest ratio, of incarcerated citizens of any nation in the world.

Americans talk about peace but have a hand in nearly every 20th century war, more so than any other nation.

Americans have had leaders, like Lincoln, Kennedy and those who framed the Constitution, with truly great and beautiful dreams of a utopian society, but Americans all seem live like it's Gotham City and/or gansta heaven.

Americans are greedily acquisitive and have little charity (surprisingly, the poor give more freely and graciously than the wealthy). I suppose the rest of the world has that flaw.

Americans claim to have been the turning point of WW2 but ignore the fact that it was almost over when they joined. They also ignore the contributions of the Russians in the 'turning of the tide'.

Americans think they have some sort of mandate to be the world police. Yet when a country needs them, but doesn't have anything they want, where's America? Also there's the push into situations where they aren't wanted, like with the bases in Japan, Europe and a lot of the Pacific.

And guns? Americans have a gun crime and gun suicide problem and their solution is more guns?

Americans also have a legal problem. Their law is diluting and becoming meaningless. Law based upon precedent, that is leaving behind the best intent of the original framers of the law, and being replaced with some sort of mechanized inhumane list of actions with which to determine the next iteration. The consequence is insanity like it being 'lawful' to 'abort' those who have already been born!

And the inability to see the world as neither one thing, nor the other. Like 'if you didn't vote for Trump', then you must be an extreme left supporter of the Dems' mindset.

And the belief that public opinion matters more than actual physical limitations and rules. As an example, the idea that if confidence remains high, that the GDP can grow forever (on nothing but a warm feeling).

Americans 'news' seems to consist of a panel of people discussing their opinions, now matter how way-out or un-evidenced the basis. Real actual news seems to escape them.

Americans can invent something, that they know is a fiction because they just made it up, and then immediately use that to justify their opinions, apparently.

You are mostly correct on this but i thought this thread was more light hearted, like why Americans love icecream so much and such

Still i love how you very much said all that had to be said lol

The sugar thing LMFAO!

You want sugar with your sugar? We also have a sugar special this Friday, you can get two sugars for the price of one!

Actually, corn syrup is cheaper and sweeter. So ther's less real sugar than you might think.

... and if you add just the right amount of salt, you can add even more 'sweetning stuff' and no-one notices.

The truth is, they are hardly different than any other country. That's what is the most annoying...

edit on 1/2/2019 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Nothing really. Everything that is happening is logical. Seems wierd to say because everything is splitting down some unknown middle. But things are happening, and there is and end to the means.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 11:40 PM
link   

I don't know too much about America or Americans. I would love to visit New York, see the busy rush hours and an NHL hockey game.

More so, i find it weird how some people from outside of America see them. "They are arrogant" or "They are ignorant" America has a population of 325 million. There are all kinds of people there, you can't make assumptions about everyone of them. There are truly beautiful souls in America, this site has proven that to me

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 11:45 PM
link   
A thing that really puzzles me is how easily many Americans are led/fooled by social media.

This may be a thing in other countries too, but there are way too many lazy people here in the US that are perfectly content to be spoon fed their opinion on just about any topic.

"We don't know what we like; we like what we know." -Frank Zappa

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Americans have had leaders, like Lincoln, Kennedy and those who framed the Constitution, with truly great and beautiful dreams of a utopian society, but Americans all seem to live like it's Gotham City and/or gansta heaven.

Americans 'news' seems to consist of a panel of people discussing their opinions, no matter how way-out or un-evidenced the basis. Real actual news seems to escape them.

You seriously need some US Civics and World History courses
In the very worst way.
I would be able to knock down all of your neighbor's concept of what you posted line by line
But , I dont have that kind of time.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 12:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Americans have had leaders, like Lincoln, Kennedy and those who framed the Constitution, with truly great and beautiful dreams of a utopian society, but Americans all seem to live like it's Gotham City and/or gansta heaven.

Americans 'news' seems to consist of a panel of people discussing their opinions, no matter how way-out or un-evidenced the basis. Real actual news seems to escape them.

In the very worst way.
I would be able to knock down all of your neighbor's concept of what you posted line by line

How come? Cvics is for citizens

World history has been rewritten a lot, it is not something you can trust

if you face someone on the street with a knife or gun and he tells to close your eyes and dont worry things will be fine, do you?

How do you relate being thought things in your own country, with how people see them from the outside?

You see things from the inside, you can't see the big picture because you are small part of that big picture. Everything makes sense to you because that how you were raised to be, people from the outside can see other stuff you will miss for sure, because they did not go through the same learning process that tells them everything around is the right order

edit on 2-2-2019 by BoneSay because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Other than the Chinese, Americans have the biggest egos and are the biggest racists.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 01:54 AM
link   

In the very worst way.

Feel free to take it a few at a time.

I'd be happy to find out where I'm wrong.

Let's start with these ones:

List of countries by incarceration rate From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Liberty?

and this:

Which country was involved in the most wars in modern history (last 100 years) and what has it achieved? - Quora

Peace?

edit on 2/2/2019 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I am constantly baffled by the the fact that in US cinema and tv-shows the depiction of violence, killing, maiming, torture, often in gory details is deemed OK but show as much as a nipple: instant prudish meltdown.

If I were to judge Americans based solely on that I would think that the majority of you are bloodthirsty, hyper violent prudes soon to go Christian Taliban on the rest of the world. Obviusly that is not how I see Americans but this thing just puzzles me.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 02:54 AM
link   

I find it strange that we park on driveways and drive on parkways.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 03:19 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

1) One breaks the law in the US ? They get locked up . I cannot help with other countries

2) There is a reason the US has been involved in more wars. Of course you know why. Or , you should.

Done
Next
Denying ignorance
Why ?
The phase of the moon ?

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 03:26 AM
link   
U-S-A! U-S-A!!

Oh come on..

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 03:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: MindBodySpiritComplex
I am constantly baffled by the the fact that in US cinema and tv-shows the depiction of violence, killing, maiming, torture, often in gory details is deemed OK but show as much as a nipple: instant prudish meltdown.

Yes, it is bad. Television in general is bad. But the vast majority of TV shows and movies are produced in the United states. It is quite much the same in other countries, and their own shows and movies, only on a smaller scale.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Peanut butter and jam (jelly?) sandwiches, wth is up with that?!?

a reply to: caterpillage

Oh, and the Aussies make great beer, fosters! (It's australian for beeahh ya know)

Have a word! Next you'll be telling us Castlemaine XXXX is beer too! 🤣

🍻

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I've worked with people from other countries, and I've had several relatives visit from Europe. Here are some things they mentioned:
1. Everything looks new (in reference to homes and buildings)
2. Restaurants give you way too much food
3. Amazed that the one restaurant had a soda machine, and with FREE REFILLS
4. Everything (particularly grocery stores) was gigantic
5. Americans have to drive so much to go anywhere
6. The vehicles here are huge and we have sports cars

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 04:52 AM
link   

1) One breaks the law in the US ? They get locked up . I cannot help with other countries

So, are you saying that the US is the most criminal country in the world, then?

2) There is a reason the US has been involved in more wars. Of course you know why. Or , you should.

Done
Next
Denying ignorance
Why ?
The phase of the moon ?

You aren't going to say that they were saving the world from tyranny, are you?

Imagine Russia or China invading the US and proclaiming that they are freeing the people from the tyranny of capitalism. The US invading another country and 'saving them' almost always leads to significant collateral civilian casualties.

Remember all those Middle Eastern countries that described the US as "the Great Satan"? Sure, you saved them from tyrants such as Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden but who put them there in the first place? The people remember.

35 Countries Where the U.S. Has Supported Fascists, Drug Lords and Terrorists - AlterNet. My, that's a lot of countries to have done the wrong thing in, isn't it?
edit on 2/2/2019 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 05:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Other than the Chinese, Americans have the biggest egos and are the biggest racists.

Not all, every single country has the same set of people, you re talking about the general stereotype and we could say the same of every other single country in the world. Just go to Mexico/Peru/Brazil/Argentina/whatever while being "American" and pretend you don't know spanish and there will be *always* that group of people at the barr thinking you can't get them and saying "la gringa pendeja"/"The stupid american girl" or "esta pinche guera/This stupid blond" and after that then sharing drinks with you and taking pics of the "group of friends"

No country is free from that

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 08:09 AM
link   

So, are you saying that the US is the most criminal country in the world, then?

Done
Next
Denying ignorance
Why ?
The phase of the moon ?

You aren't going to say that they were saving the world from tyranny, are you?

Imagine Russia or China invading the US and proclaiming that they are freeing the people from the tyranny of capitalism. The US invading another country and 'saving them' almost always leads to significant collateral civilian casualties.

Remember all those Middle Eastern countries that described the US as "the Great Satan"? Sure, you saved them from tyrants such as Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden but who put them there in the first place? The people remember.

35 Countries Where the U.S. Has Supported Fascists, Drug Lords and Terrorists - AlterNet. My, that's a lot of countries to have done the wrong thing in, isn't it?

Oh nou, you have gone into forbidden territory... LMAO!

We don't talk about the obvious thing, we pretend it does not exist!

<< 1    3  4 >>

join