It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Better than a gun, pepper spray or taser? Police might use BolaWrap

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anathros

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: JAGStorm

I'm failing to see any reason we need to move beyond officers simply having lethal firepower. It seems like crime has gotten worse since we've started arming them with more nonlethal weapons, perhaps there's a correlation, perhaps not. I know, speaking only for myself, that the idea of dying over simply acting a fool generally keeps me from acting a fool.

This.

I admit gadgets like this are neat but those that follow the law of the land aren't in danger from police. I know many here see law enforcement as the enemy but I don't. I too get the random speeding ticket here and there but have always been shown respect because I show respect. Even though I conceal carry as well as open carry, I've never had a bad experience for that reason.

It isn't for you or I to decide what is "neat" and good, but the people actually using it. It is just in trial use right now. Maybe the police love it, maybe they hate it, who knows. They are dealing with so many weird things these days, just like I listed previously. Maybe a mentally ill person. What if they are dealing with a 13yr old totally strung out on drugs. Do you think the only option is to shoot that person?

btw: I am all for the police, and I've never once had a ticket. Not one speeding ticket.

link   

a reply to: TinySickTears

Ah, hypotheticals... always a joy to see and so brutally accurate, said no one ever.

nah
it was legit

youre thinking of it from the angle of someone who frankly sounds like an ass.

try thinking about it from another perspective.

there is gray area man

i am sure you have invoked the hypothetical in one of your conversations about guns or god or abortion or whatever other crap
edit on 31-1-2019 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

link   

I'm saying mental state and drug use are excuses, nothing more. If you are posing a public threat, you should be shot by police.

That is a pretty bold statement. There are a lot of things that are considered public threats and warrant fines or a ride downtown that certainly don't warrant death.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Just think of running at full speed and that thing wraps you up. lol

I'm going to wait for the BolaWrap 2000, not only will it wrap you up but also deliver 2000 volts for good measure.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: Anathros

I'm failing to see any reason we need to move beyond officers simply having lethal firepower. It seems like crime has gotten worse since we've started arming them with more nonlethal weapons, perhaps there's a correlation, perhaps not. I know, speaking only for myself, that the idea of dying over simply acting a fool generally keeps me from acting a fool.

This.

I admit gadgets like this are neat but those that follow the law of the land aren't in danger from police. I know many here see law enforcement as the enemy but I don't. I too get the random speeding ticket here and there but have always been shown respect because I show respect. Even though I conceal carry as well as open carry, I've never had a bad experience for that reason.

It isn't for you or I to decide what is "neat" and good, but the people actually using it. It is just in trial use right now. Maybe the police love it, maybe they hate it, who knows. They are dealing with so many weird things these days, just like I listed previously. Maybe a mentally ill person. What if they are dealing with a 13yr old totally strung out on drugs. Do you think the only option is to shoot that person?

btw: I am all for the police, and I've never once had a ticket. Not one speeding ticket.

The day an officer loses his/her life due to fumbling for a "bolowrap" it will prove that a larger arsenal doesnt equal a better arsenal.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: headorheart

The present assumption is that, if an officer draws their firearm, the person they have drawn on is posing a physical threat to the officer's safety and to the public at large. I honestly haven't seen many examples of that not still working quite well.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

there is gray area man

Some people on here really don't think so, and like you said I sure hope their family is never in that gray area.
karma has a way of teaching us in the harshest possible way.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

So you would kill most of the people at Wamart?

I'm at Walmart now, give me 5 to get out please

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

So you would kill most of the people at Wamart?

I'm at Walmart now, give me 5 to get out please

Dunno... haven't been in one in a very, very long time. If people are in there posing an active threat to the safety of responsible upstanding citizens, then sure... call in the SWAT team.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I don't know about people.

I'd like some of these for ranch work. Beats having to master the lariat.

can those cords be cut? How do you get it off? If its nylon like a zip tie, a seat-belt cutter that most emergency responders carry could be used to free the perp once they are in handcuffs.

Could you torture someone with this?

What does it feel like to get hit in the nards with it???

If a cop "didn't mean to" point it at the suspects neck....

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Dunno... haven't been in one in a very, very long time. If people are in there posing an active threat to the safety of responsible upstanding citizens, then sure... call in the SWAT team.

It's all about perspective. What one person sees as an active threat, another knows it's not.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 03:13 PM
link   

A middle finger isn't a threat, at least not what I'm talking about, and you know that.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 03:15 PM
link   

What if you shot that at someone and it wrapped around their throat? That would suck bad.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 03:24 PM
link   

I seem to recall this thing called the Law of Proportionality where the punishment should equal the crime.

So a suspect runs because he has traffic warrants, bang, your dead? A person suffering from irrational paranoia who is off his meds runs, bang, they are dead.

Come on Burd, this is a great tool for law enforcement.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

I seem to recall this thing called the Law of Proportionality where the punishment should equal the crime.

Burd isn't talking about punishment; he's talking about removing threats so that they public is not at risk.

So a suspect runs because he has traffic warrants, bang, your dead? A person suffering from irrational paranoia who is off his meds runs, bang, they are dead.

Come on Burd, this is a great tool for law enforcement.

You don't know why a suspect runs--- but THEY do. If you run his active warrants, it may not show that he committed murder and then rape 10 minutes before you arrived on scene.

The fact that he is wanted in Hoboken doesn't stop the timing device which he just set on the pressure cooker in the back seat of a rental car....

Most governments outside of US and (very) Western Europe tend to use their guns for traffic control. If they are chasing a pickpocket, I've seen police begin by shooting up in the air, and then lowering their guns so that everyone on the street hits the dirt. I've seen German police stop a foot chase through a market that way. you know, the cops on motor cycles armed with HK-UMP9s
edit on 31-1-2019 by Graysen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Cops don't "punish" they secure a situation, through apprehension or lethal force. Courts punish. So, sure... give court baliffs the bolo weapons, but leave the real policemen with actual useful tools of the trade, not Batman Belt style experimental devices and gadgets like a bolo weapon.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   

I'm saying mental state and drug use are excuses, nothing more. If you are posing a public threat, you should be shot by police.

Get help!

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   

A middle finger isn't a threat, at least not what I'm talking about, and you know that.

No, but a similar situation could be said about a crazy "threatening" person.
What one person sees as threatening someone else knows its isn't at it appears.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Yeah, yeah... have we met?

I have a low tolerance for BS, and that includes in law enforcement...

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join