It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Better than a gun, pepper spray or taser? Police might use BolaWrap

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 01:45 PM
link   
www.wesh.com...

"It's called a BolaWrap: A lightweight device, discharging a tether made of kevlar that wraps around and secures with barbs. It has a green laser for accuracy.
The BolaWrap was made with the mentally ill in mind. One in four fatal police encounters involve someone with mental health issues."
This is so cook, kinda reminds me of spiderman!
I know in some situations guns are necessary, but this might be a good device to have in many other situation. Maybe less people will get shot, both police and suspect. I can't imagine some of the stuff cops have to deal with, especially with the opioid crisis. I can really see this helping.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Seems to work great on stationary targets.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 01:51 PM
link   
That’s exactly what I want if a lunatic with a gun threatening my life....

On second thought, I’d rather have a gun than a yo-yo

-Chris

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I'm failing to see any reason we need to move beyond officers simply having lethal firepower. It seems like crime has gotten worse since we've started arming them with more nonlethal weapons, perhaps there's a correlation, perhaps not. I know, speaking only for myself, that the idea of dying over simply acting a fool generally keeps me from acting a fool.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone
That’s exactly what I want if a lunatic with a gun threatening my life....

Yeah, maybe not an ideal tool if a person was coming at you with a lethal weapon.

Still though, from a coppers point of view, I think it would be very useful for tripping up a suspect that was attempting to run away from ya.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

I'm failing to see any reason we need to move beyond officers simply having lethal firepower. It seems like crime has gotten worse since we've started arming them with more nonlethal weapons, perhaps there's a correlation, perhaps not. I know, speaking only for myself, that the idea of dying over simply acting a fool generally keeps me from acting a fool.

I'm not for gun elimination, but I'm sure there are cases where guns aren't the solution. Perhaps a crazy person that doesn't care about guns, or someone strung out on drugs. Or as you put it, a fool that will keep acting a fool. A gun might not be helpful in either of those cases, but a restraint that you can use from a small distance seems like something helpful. Right now a lot of places are just testing it. It will be interesting to see if police will find it useful or just one more thing to deal with.

“I think it's just another tool in the toolbox for officers when they're confronting perhaps a mentally ill person or a subject who wants to commit suicide. This might be a tool to help the officer control the subject,” Steve Casstevens, Buffalo Grove Police Chief, told Fox 32.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Like you say, in non-gun situations it could save lives in the right circumstances. Violent prisoners, mentally ill and crazy rioters are likely candidates where this would be useful. They show someone getting double done so someone could get hit with bolos several times and be face-planting in moments.

There's a bit at the 3min mark with a TV guy getting his legs done. He could put his feet together and the bolo would drop to the floor. It makes me think some people would figure out how not to get restrained that way. It'd be a bad tactic using it if the target had any chance at all of gaining ground on the officer. Punch or grab if the arms aren't tied and big kicks if the legs are free.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 02:04 PM
link   

The gun is helpful in those cases you listed insomuch as it has a recidivism rate of 0%. Where I stand, that should be the goal of law enforcement.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Going really old huh....
Let’s see how that works!
Would make for some funny videos though.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 02:18 PM
link   

The gun is helpful in those cases you listed insomuch as it has a recidivism rate of 0%. Where I stand, that should be the goal of law enforcement.

Maybe clarify what you are saying, because I'm not quite understanding it.

Are you saying, 0% because every mentally ill or opioid user should be shot?
or
Are you saying, 0% because every mentally ill or opioid user would not do it again if faced against a gun.. if that is what you think, I can guarantee you it is not 0%

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Damn....i need to add that to my repotoire in the basement.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I'm saying mental state and drug use are excuses, nothing more. If you are posing a public threat, you should be shot by police.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 02:28 PM
link   

This.

I admit gadgets like this are neat but those that follow the law of the land aren't in danger from police. I know many here see law enforcement as the enemy but I don't. I too get the random speeding ticket here and there but have always been shown respect because I show respect. Even though I conceal carry as well as open carry, I've never had a bad experience for that reason.
edit on 31-1-2019 by Anathros because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Can't wait for the movie "Don't BolaWrap me bro!"

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 02:30 PM
link   

I'm saying mental state and drug use are excuses, nothing more. If you are posing a public threat, you should be shot by police.

damn

i bet you would change your tune if one of your kids present with some sort of mental illness in their 30's and they get shot by a cop for being ill.

am i wrong?

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 02:31 PM
link   

The criminal will fall on his face and it will get bust up he will then shout............police brutality.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I'd make sure my kids were taking their medication and I their right state of mind. Then again, I'm old-fashioned and believe in taking care of me and mine instead of voting for the nanny state to do it for me. You keep making excuses and I'll stick with being responsible.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Dang, Wow, that is some cold hearted thinking right there.

There are numerous cases where people's mental states are not excuses, like Alzheimer's. Many many cases of Alzheimer's patients getting very violent one moment and totally normally another. Same with Parkinson's. What about someone with PTSD?

Even in our legal system and courts, temporary mental insanity is used as an accepted excuse for erratic behavior, but I guess in your world only a bullet to the head is adequate.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Ah, hypotheticals... always a joy to see and so brutally accurate, said no one ever.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I could see something like this deployed in a standoff with a knife wielding suspect or say someone with a bat. I think of that Laquan McDonald case where he was just standing there in the street with a knife when that cop pumped him full of lead.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join