It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frozen To Death! Don't Mess With Mother Nature

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Carcharadon

seems odd...that C and F are the same, but way too damn cold none the less!

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: milano

don't mind my lack of education....love ATS! Not so fond of children or pets being abused...

edit on 1/30/2019 by milano because: corrected spelling...lol damn US eduction

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: milano

They aren't the same until you start to reach subzero temps. When it gets to -40 F, then it's equivalent to -40 C. However, 0 C which is freezing, is equivalent to 32 F.

The colder it gets, the closer they get to each other.

While we have a very, very nasty storm sideswiping us here where I am in Alberta, it's been a very nice, balmy 0 to 2 C today! No snow yet, but the warnings are out. Edmonton is getting hammered by very heavy snow apparently.

I'm pretty done with winter to be honest. Very tired of shoveling snow off the walk. I'm just glad we got the truck fixed. Walking the hour long walk to work at 6 am when it's icy and -20 C is NOT fun.
edit on 1/30/2019 by Subrosabelow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: DeReK DaRkLy
All places were there getting more then usual weather. But ya, common sense. If its cold enough that if you leave a towel outside and by morning its stiff as a board. Then dont leave your kid,dog,cat, whatever outside or the same will happen. I think there was a cold front supposed to come in sometime this week in by the great lakes area, and places like Chicago.

But likely the weather is a bit iffy. Even places like the deserts some areas have seen enough rain this year the they have had the past few hundreds of years. Here in WA state, its pretty much the same, just minus a bit less then the ussual rain we get. The only difference were I am at, we were slowly getting less and less snow, this year no snow at all and its in the 50s usually. And this month is usually the coldest month, but you take a few hour car trip and head up to the mountains, its still snow till your knees and higher.

Last year, we had one day of snow I think. And that was mostly all melted and slush by morning. The last time we had at least 3 days of snow, it wasn't even a foot in those three day, and it was something like 5 or 7 years ago. But I remember people were all over the side of the highway and stranded left and right in ditches. Simply because they were not used to a few inches of snow, and they thought they could drive like normal.

So ya, its like boiling lobsters, with snow. People just dont understand what a few degrees lower or higher can do, if they have not had it for more then a year or so. Just a bit different climate can pretty much change whole lifestyles and culture and ways people think even. I remember when I was a kid in the old country, come winter people stocked up months ahead, and nobody was walking around or driving around in that, or even went to work. Because it would just be stupid, when the snow is up to your eyeballs, you stay in.

Even with machines and technology, what you can do on any day to day business, is dictated by the weather. So ya, its likely that the fun has just begun with these finicky weather patterns.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Carcharadon

originally posted by: putnam6

originally posted by: Athetos
-38c here in Manitoba today even more with the wind,I gotta dress for the elements. Our garbage men still went out there and school is still open with buses running. Life goes on as normal.

a reply to: Macenroe82

The Americans are just killing me with their histrionics the last week.

It's a Super Duper Polar Tornado/Tsunami Vortex!!!

Well thats the point most arent used to it being this bitterly cold. Obviously you guys get it every winter, thus hockey as the national sport cause everybody's pond froze over. annd please when you throw out histrionics thats the media which in no way represent a normal cross section of the American thought process any more.

Up here in Canada it's called.......winter.

Nah, blowing things up out of all proportion is the American way. Look at the NFL, jet sqaudrins flying over , fireworks and the whole shebang.

Watch how over the top the media is about everything.

It's the American way to be grandiose.

Not a huge issue and trust me I dont hate the US or its citizens like some of the other non-US posters around here, but it's ok to take a little neighborly ribbing.

No need for the Canadian apologies, LOL I have had nothing but positive personal and business dealings with out brethren to the north. Certainly cant say that for my own countrymen, so maybe I'll leave the social commentary right there. Yea we are like that one friend who can be loud and obnoxious and honestly a little full of themselves, but when you got 2 or 3 guys about to start some # with you, its always that guy thats right there behind you backing you up.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Bravo & Cheers ATS!
So much common sense still resides on the interwebs.
Meanwhile, our leaders bicker about broad policies rather than basic day-to-day survival...

Yet, everything comes down to politics, pleasant or not... that is, until biological immortality is achieved. Until then, survival is still mainly based on human cooperation... after that, it's total chaos!

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
a reply to: DeReK DaRkLy

Going on day 5 here in northern Ontario of -40 to -50c nights and days.
Today started off at -35c and currently its -41c and -49c with the windchill.
It’s expected to drop below -50c tonight.
I don’t know how many people have ever felt -50 weather. But it literally hurts.

When I was working in the Arctic we had a full day of -62c.
Walking from my bunkhouse to the smoke shack, I swore I could feel my eyeballs starting to freeze up.

Many people are unable to imagine living in minus 30 c for months on end with windchill of -50C it is only minus 10 tonight and mild minus 50 will kill most people after a while in the wind , frost bite in minutes on exposed flesh , get wet and you are dead in 2-3 minutes

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subrosabelow

originally posted by: milano

They aren't the same until you start to reach subzero temps. When it gets to -40 F, then it's equivalent to -40 C. However, 0 C which is freezing, is equivalent to 32 F.

The colder it gets, the closer they get to each other.

While we have a very, very nasty storm sideswiping us here where I am in Alberta, it's been a very nice, balmy 0 to 2 C today! No snow yet, but the warnings are out. Edmonton is getting hammered by very heavy snow apparently.

I'm pretty done with winter to be honest. Very tired of shoveling snow off the walk. I'm just glad we got the truck fixed. Walking the hour long walk to work at 6 am when it's icy and -20 C is NOT fun.

It's been an absolutely amazing winter in Alberta IMO. Lots of snow yes but this will be the first real cold snap of the winter. I'll take that every year lol.

Better winter than last year that's for sure, 160+ days straight of below zero temps fricking sucked.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
-38c here in Manitoba today even more with the wind,I gotta dress for the elements. Our garbage men still went out there and school is still open with buses running. Life goes on as normal.

The Americans are just killing me with their histrionics the last week.

It's a Super Duper Polar Tornado/Tsunami Vortex!!!

Well thats the point most arent used to it being this bitterly cold. Obviously you guys get it every winter, thus hockey as the national sport cause everybody's pond froze over. annd please when you throw out histrionics thats the media which in no way represent a normal cross section of the American thought process any more.

Up here in Canada it's called.......winter.

Nah, blowing things up out of all proportion is the American way. Look at the NFL, jet sqaudrins flying over , fireworks and the whole shebang.

Watch how over the top the media is about everything.

It's the American way to be grandiose.

Not a huge issue and trust me I dont hate the US or its citizens like some of the other non-US posters around here, but it's ok to take a little neighborly ribbing.

No need for the Canadian apologies, LOL I have had nothing but positive personal and business dealings with out brethren to the north. Certainly cant say that for my own countrymen, so maybe I'll leave the social commentary right there. Yea we are like that one friend who can be loud and obnoxious and honestly a little full of themselves, but when you got 2 or 3 guys about to start some # with you, its always that guy thats right there behind you backing you up.

That analogy works for me lol.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Here in California the news are broadcasting warnings. It may drop into the 50's

People are being warned that they may need to put their shoes on.

Also, please use sunscreen

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I shouldn't joke about the weather.

Sorry.

Mother nature can be a bitccccc

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Don't believe it for one second. I was talking to folks at church on Wednesday night, about the media manipulation of simple things that no one would give a second thought, if they weren't hyping something for attention.

Don't touch that dial! If they keep us in a state of fear we will keep watching.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

One of those mentions an article of a girl who was thrown off the bus and froze to death, that driver should get prison time......thats a death sentence

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 03:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
a reply to: Blaine91555

One of those mentions an article of a girl who was thrown off the bus and froze to death, that driver should get prison time......thats a death sentence

Prison time? It's definitely a death sentence in the states... Oh, I see what you mean.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

Oh hell ya.
We have had 6 homeless people die in the cold so far this winter.
The city decided to finally step up and do something.
The shelters only have so many beds available, so people were being turned away in to the cold.
A temporary ordinance was enacted to allow more beds in the shelters to accommodate more people.
And when those beds ran out, people protested outside city hall and SHTF.
Now church basements and any other willing building are offering places to stay.
Its a start at least.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Yes it is.

I held his mother, a close friend, while she broke down telling me about how he was found.

His girlfriend got angry and kicked him out of her car on a rural road about a quarter mile from the nearest house and he had no coat on. They found him when a snow plow cut his body in half. He had made it to the front of the house and died next to the road and was buried by the plow the next morning. They found him two months later.

Just driving by another car that is broken down on the side of the road without stopping in extreme conditions is negligent homicide if they freeze. You see someone in distress, in danger like that and don't help, you deserve prison time.

Any city that does not immediately open up all possible buildings to the homeless is guilty of the same. Drunk, high or in any other condition, you don't take them in and they freeze, the city killed them.

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 07:33 AM
link   

They do the same in Scotland open up empty warehousing for the homeless , but you will be given B&B if you ask for it and free to get their is no need for people to be freezing in this country .

It was minus 16 c last night here 3 f , i cannot believe how mild it is we have no snow

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Wow 16 C in Scotland? that's warm!

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Sapphire

Minus 16 c
+ 16 is the summer temp

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Ok yes .. ok lol
edit on 3-2-2019 by Sapphire because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join