It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

iPad replacement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I have been looking for something to replace my 1st gen iPad Pro 12.9in for a little while now.
It still works perfectly and I use it every day but I am getting bored with Apple stuff for some reason, plus my wife’s iPad Air 2 is showing its age and I would give the Pro to her to use when I get something else.
Currently looking at the Samsung Chromebook Pro, Google Pixelbook or the Google Pixel Slate tablet to replace it.
I like the idea of the Chrome OS/Android app environment.
A while back I bought an Acer Spin 15 Chromebook but I ended up returning it...it was heavy and a bit too big in tablet mode. Also the screen was dull and washed out looking.
I have watched all the reviews on YouTube on the Samsung and Google products but I am looking for more opinions on them.
Is there anyone here on ATS that have or had any of those to give me some more insight?

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

What is your budget for this buy?

newe gg

I was looking at this puppy the other day.
edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:25 PM
link   

I have an iPad 2.
It's getting a bit long in the tooth.
I can't load some apps and games because I can't update the software to the latest version.

I'm seriously considering the latest iPad since this one has been so trouble free for so many years. $329 I think

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:34 PM
link   

I work in tech, as a preface, so I'm not just pulling this stuff off the 'net.

I'd avoid the Pixel Slate, I've heard lots of stories of buggy software, slow performance, and feeling heavy for its size. For $1,500, it just doesn't make sense.

On the other hand, I've heard great things about the pixelbook. If I were in the market for a Chromebook I'd get that for sure.

However, that's a chromebook, so it's set up like a laptop with a permanently attached keyboard. If you strictly want a tablet experience, I'd lean more towards a Surface or Surface Pro. It has a keyboard so you can use it as a laptop, but the keyboard is detachable for when you want to use it as a tablet.
I use a Surface Pro at work and I couldn't be happier with it. Fast performance, runs everything I need it to, lightweight, and (depending on which storage capacity you choose) is significantly cheaper than the Pixel Slate.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

The Google Pixelbook is $1000 for the base version with Core i5, 8GB ram and 128GB SSD, so that is the highest I will go.
All the reviews I saw say the screens on the Samsung and Pixelbook are top notch....2400 X 1600 quad HD, the Slate is even higher resolution.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Using an Asus Chrome book that I replaced an Ipad with now that I have had for around 3 years. The screen mount screws at either end of the hinge loosened recently and one was not repairable. In the process of trying to remedy the issue, the screen cracked in several places but superglue around the edges remedied the screen glitches problems. Am content with it so far and much appreciate the keyboard over pecking on the Ipad screen. Will never go back to an Ipad.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Buy the new iPad Pro.
Or the new surface pro.
Honestly I have never had any issue with ipad’s
I bought my 3 kids each one for Christmas 3 years back.
Before that, I was replacing an android tablet every couple of months, due to crap battery. Or just stop turning on.
That got expensive.

Got them all an iPad mini 3 and they have been going strong since.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I’m 100% with ya on that one.
Never any issues with iPads

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:56 PM
link   
No issues "here" right now with Windows desktop but My Chrome book connectivity to ATS sucks ass right now. Am about ready to quit ATS.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I have an iPad 2.
It's getting a bit long in the tooth.
I can't load some apps and games because I can't update the software to the latest version.

I'm seriously considering the latest iPad since this one has been so trouble free for so many years. $329 I think

Yeah I love my iPad, I have never had a problem with all the ones I have had over the years.
My wife’s older iPad is really showing its age and I thought I would give her this one with the bigger screen and I would try something different.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 07:45 PM
link   

I bought a Samsung Tab s2 a couple of years ago and really like it. Great for browsing, etc. Actually find my phone is more a Phablet now and use it 90% of the time. However, the tablet is good when i travel and just want a bigger screen. Kids use it a lot for watching movies on plane, etc.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: narrator

I saw the stories about the Slate in the reviews even with the Core m3, which is the same one in the Samsung that nobody seems to be complaining about.
The Core i7 Slate for $1600 is outrageously priced, I wouldn’t even consider that version.
I thought about the Surface but I am not sure I want to go with Windows 10 in a tablet.

new topics

top topics

join