It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NFL Penalty Fix

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I like many others found it pretty shocking to see the blown call in the recent saints game. Now goodell is claiming changes may come and i have an easy fix that is fair. Just add penalty review to the coaches allowed challenge. In other words if a coach challenges any call and the officials review the play and during review they find a penalty then allow refs to call it at that point. So in the case of the saints the coach could have thrown a challenge flag challenging the play and refs could have called the penalty at that point. You would have to extend the ability to challenge under 2 minute warning. Changing much more than that will alter the game for the worse.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: UncleTomahawk

They also need to fix their contrived and comical overtime rules. Just play an extra 15 minutes like men instead of the gimmicky set up they have now.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

They also need to fix their contrived and comical overtime rules. Just play an extra 15 minutes like men instead of the gimmicky set up they have now.

Should be a shootout.

Who (except Patriots fans) wouldn't have wanted to see Mahomes with a chance to match Brady.

That could have been an epic shootout.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 03:58 PM
link   
You are right about the overtime rules. However i think they could be left alone during the regular season but very much in the playoffs they should be changed to extra 10 or 15 minute quarters until winner determined.

Very good game with chiefs and some other unnamed team a week ago that ended in an unfair outcome to many that seen it was a straight up offensive battle that went back and forth but ended with the basic outcome of a coin toss.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Pistols at 15 paces has always been an effective way of resolving differences. Also, very manly.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 04:10 PM
link   
mahomes must be a cyborg or something like that. humans have to look where they are gonna throw the ball at some point during the play in order to hit target.

eta no worries his knee will be fine
edit on 30-1-2019 by UncleTomahawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 04:14 PM
link   

One penalty challenge at the three minute mark.
And the refs must only watch the replay at full speed.
Slow motion replays all look like penalties.

And don't mess with the overtime rules.
Maybe no overtime during the regular season or only in division games.
The NFL did a study and injuries jump in frequency during overtime probably due to fatigue.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 04:18 PM
link   

No that's a bad idea.

Think of it like this, on any hail mary there is going to be PI somewhere.

Imagine Belichek sending Gronk down the field on any 4th down at the end of a game. That would be just giving every offense a free 1st down or game winning field goal every time.

It's not perfect as it is, but more reviews stopping the game is not the answer.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: neversleep
Should be a shootout.

Just another gimmick. It should be overtime, 15 minutes of it.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   
If i imagine bellychick i imagine of him retiring and not callin more plays for anyone named rob.

I am not proposing any new challenges just allowing the refs the ability to call penalties during a review. Perhaps adding to that only if they significantly change the outcome of the game and can be seen at normal speed. Same amount of challenges givin too coaches and this would likely cause the coaches to throw less challenges in order to save their challenge flags just in case.

As someone else pointed out slo mo makes everything different.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:14 PM
link   
They will never go for 15 minute ot in regular season simply because of sponsors and programming. They make more money the way things are.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:38 PM
link   

They should have fixed the problem when it happened. There were two refs looking dead at the foul. You can't make me believe that it wasn't missed on purpose. That was an intentional blown call.

It wasn't a small thing like they make it out to be. It wasn't a "woops". It single handedly stopped the Saints from going to the Super Bowl. That blown call was a win or lose and that isn't an exaggeration by any means.

%$#@ the NFL and their BS.

edit on 30-1-2019 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 06:19 PM
link   
This is already a well received rule in the CFL, and by the looks of it the NFL will follow suit next year.CFL rule change

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I see that almost all of the replies recommend change and I must concur. However, for myself after the penalty and the fallout plus the Detroit player who decided it was time to assault the police I quit. I'm going to stop paying a lot of attention in the future to professional sports as my time grows short. I remember the Rams from the 50's. My best,

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: UncleTomahawk
You are right about the overtime rules. However i think they could be left alone during the regular season but very much in the playoffs they should be changed to extra 10 or 15 minute quarters until winner determined.

Very good game with chiefs and some other unnamed team a week ago that ended in an unfair outcome to many that seen it was a straight up offensive battle that went back and forth but ended with the basic outcome of a coin toss.

All games used to be played until they had a winner. I do believe there was a limit to the number of extra quarters though.
I guess now they do not pay the players enough for that much overtime..

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 07:08 PM
link   

You are aware that the ball was tipped at the line of scrimmage by a defensive lineman before the so-called blown call at the reception site??

Tipped ball, no foul!

Bring on the Super Bowl!!

(And point and laugh at the idiot that tried to bring a lawsuit to get game re-played from that time until completion! Even it hadn't been tipped, go home! The game is over!)

What's next? Yell at the NBA to pass a rule to keep players from walking with ball?? *Snoopy Eyes*

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Los Angeles Rams cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman has been fined $26,739 by the NFL for a helmet-to-helmet hit on New Orleans Saints wide receiver Tommylee Lewis that was not flagged during the NFC Championship Game, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Friday.

www.espn.com...

15 yards all day, I preferred the Rams winning, but that was bad.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: TheLead

So,

Number 90 tipped the ball.

Knee jerk reactions don’t apply.
edit on 31-1-2019 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: Stoopid autocorrectives

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 02:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
a reply to: TheLead

So,

Number 90 tipped the ball.

Knee jerk reactions don’t apply.

The ball wasn't tipped, wtf are you on? Start watching at 00:43, #90 was no where near it.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: UncleTomahawk

They will never go for 15 minute ot in regular season simply because of sponsors and programming. They make more money the way things are.

How do you make more money in a sudden death-shortened overtime than a full 15 minutes? That makes no sense.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join