It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ocasio-Cortez Asks Why Billionaires Like Howard Schultz Don’t Have to Work Their Way Up

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
I may dislike Howard Shultz for my own petty reasons...

Why in the Hell should he have to work his "way up from the bottom"? In the real world, he did just that. Nothing but respect for that--little else, but he's earned what he's got.

I'm in the same boat with you on that. I think his little stunt last year of publicly shaming his own employees for simply doing their jobs and protecting his business followed by flinging the doors open to people who won't help pay the bills, all in the name of virtue signalling, and then cutting and running from the company before the aftermath and additional (needless) expenses hit the books was chicken# at best. That said, he was free to castrate his own creation if he so chose, so my only "business" there is to say that it has made me sometimes take my business elsewhere because I have little to no interest in sitting in a coffee shop frequented by bums, indigents, crackheads, and tweakers. I certainly won't vote for him, but I'm thrilled to see the man running.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

It must be one of the "deepfake" things eh 😄

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

This is what happens when you try to defend a pair of conflicting narratives emanating from a fractured, divided, internally contentious party.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:18 PM
link   
At issue is that many business people wouldn’t have relevant deep expertise on a whole host of issues. As a public servant, it’s really insulting when any group thinks a certain professional group is inherently more knowledgeable than actual experts in a given field. I’ve seen this in many different forms.

Business isn’t some magical expertise that makes you better than everyone and and not needing their expertise.

While many such newcomers can be highly intelligent people, they also often make amateur mistakes, can’t distinguish between content area bad versus good practices, and often reinvent the wheel on topics already well known or researched to practitioners.

Obviously we also need private sector or business folks in gov too to bring that perspective or expertise.

And, obviously, politics covers virtually every topic, so I recognize that its not a perfect parallel to what I’m describing.

a reply to: JAGStorm

edit on 30-1-2019 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I like her, but it would seem she has worked her way up less?
a reply to: xuenchen

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

What, pray tell, is AOC's "expertise?" What the hell did she bring to the table that's actually beneficial?

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:22 PM
link   
You are talking about AOC. I was responding to a general point. I would agree she doesn’t have enough experience or expertise.
a reply to: burdman30ott6

edit on 30-1-2019 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Weeell....there is the fact he and others exploited prison labor. Bet this dont get brought up at the convention.

www.google.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

You are talking about AOC. I was responding to a general point.

Yeah, I'm asking because you seem to hold her in some manner of esteem.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24

Weeell....there is the fact he and others exploited prison labor. Bet this dont get brought up at the convention.

www.google.com...

Yeah!
Why would you pay them?
Hard labor dammit...

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Meh, now you're just trying to find things that would make me consider voting for him, aren't you?

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I like her, and held some similar views for a long time. However, she is inexperienced and is being used by the DNC establishment. Probably in over her head.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
so she asks a question

awesome

i know i would prefer someone running the government have a little experience in politics

And , what do tell , experience does Cortez have ?
Bar tending 101 ?
See , you just posted more tripe
And , I would hope one would have a working knowledge of the Constitution which AOC definitely DOES NOT have

edit on 1/30/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Why don’t people ever tell billionaires who want to run for President that they need to “work their way up” or that “maybe they should start with city council first”?

Of course a bartender is more qualified than a wealthy, successful man who worked his way up from the bottom.

I can't help but wonder if the Dem leaders cringe when she speaks.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

She is most certainly in over her head. She thinks working for a campaign as a gofer is experience.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

I know I cringe.
The scary part is how the heck did she get elected?
Who ran against her?

edit on Wed Jan 30 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I say we humor her. With her, the 2020 Presidential race is all but won for the Republicans...a reply to: Blaine91555

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

I know I cringe.
The scary part is how the heck did she get elected?

Never bet against the stupidity of liberal US district voter bases... that's all I can say about that.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

She took out a sitting representative:

On June 26, 2018, Ocasio-Cortez drew national recognition when she won the Democratic Party's primary election for the 14th congressional district, defeating the ten-term incumbent Congressman, Democratic Caucus Chair Joe Crowley, in one of the biggest upset victories in the 2018 midterm election primaries.[11] She beat Republican opponent Anthony Pappas in the November 6, 2018 general election, and at age 29, became the youngest woman ever to serve in the United States Congress.

Wikipedia

How bad must that guy have been?

Either that or she had one hell of a marketing campaign while Crowley stayed at home and just expected to win since he was the incumbent. I'm continually amazed that she got in.

eta

This is her district:

edit on 30-1-2019 by jadedANDcynical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Don’t get me started.

In my last job about 80% of my coworkers were former campaign workers. Virtually all the leadership was.

A lot of them literally thought they were elite and more knowledgeable than the rest of us, even if we had more experience or education. You got promoted or hired mostly based on how connected you were from that world.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join