It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McConnell says bill making Election Day a federal holiday is a ‘power grab’ by Democrats

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   
How many will be too hung-over from their Monday night drinking to get out and vote on Tuesday? More DIMS or REPUBS?
edit on 1/30/2019 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
a reply to: Southern Guardian

He's not talking about the holiday, he's referring to the entire Bill.

H.R. 1- 116th Congress

It's far more than just making election day a holiday.

So far in what I am reading, they are trying to replace needing a physical address with needing a valid email address and automatically registering anyone eligible in the state to vote.

No WAY that's going to be abused ever...

I don't have time to go through the entire thing tonight but the first 100 pages I read sounded about 57 alarms in my head for the possibility of abuse...

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: worldstarcountry

The bill also wants to put redistricting within states into independent committees.

Awesome!

You guys have just convinced me to call rick scott and tell him to vote yes on this.

I guess you are unaware that a number of states (North Dakota, South Dakota for instance) have recently had passed with big out of state Democrat money setting up an "ethics" committee that has overwritten the constitution of the states to install a board with unlimited funding, people who are put into the positions without a vote that will have unlimited control of what is considered "unethical."

I'm going to assume that the "independent board" will be an offshoot of this monstrosity.

Just another control grab by Democrats.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Election day should be a national holiday. Hell, just replace Columbus Day with it, tit-for-tat if everyone is huffy over 'another paid holiday'.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Yeah, I'm going to go through that when I have time later tonight after work. Whenever they mess with that stuff, it's always going to benefit whichever party is doing it.

I breezed over the email stuff and it definitely set of alarms.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
a reply to: Lumenari

Yeah, I'm going to go through that when I have time later tonight after work. Whenever they mess with that stuff, it's always going to benefit whichever party is doing it.

I breezed over the email stuff and it definitely set of alarms.

What I hate is when they put in the bill "We are going to change the language of the previous law" without quoting the language of the previous law they are changing.

So you have to bring up the old, the new, look for the context of the change and try to figure out why that was important enough to change.

That's how they sneak crap through...

edit on 30-1-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Liberals don’t work for a living. This would level the playing field, allowing conservatives a day off so that they can make it out to vote.
edit on 30-1-2019 by apydomis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 01:55 AM
link   
McConnell's ish:

“Their bill would make Election Day a new paid holiday for government workers, and create an additional brand new paid leave benefit for up to six days for any federal bureaucrats who decides they’d like to hang out at the polls during an election,” McConnell added on Wednesday.

The bill:

Source: H.R.1 For the People Act of 2019

Had a read through. Still uncertain what McConnell-turtle neck's deal is other than the fact it *gasp* gives the democrats an advantage over voting. There are some disputes over the costs to businesses for allowing another day off but considering the impact election day already has on businesses, I'm uncertain allowing an official public holiday will change much. As some have noted here. there are businesses that recognize and allow for voters to go out for the a certain period of time or even a day. This isn't for all businesses.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I'm all for federal holidays. But not for voting.

The left generally runs from sense of duty toward sense of entitled privilege.

"Give me convenience or give me death."

Disgusting

edit on 31-1-2019 by TheTruthRocks because: reasons

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep
lol, I can promise you Scott will be doing no such thing as saying yes to this bill. At least we know it will die in the Senate, if it even passes the House.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 12:17 PM
link   
And once again Democrats only give half the story.

Sure, a holiday for voting day is fine.

But then look at all the extra #e they packed into the bill.

Then cry wolf when it gets struck down for being absurd.

Textbook liberal garbage.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi
I would be ok if they had a single proposal for the Federal Holiday only. Does anyone here disagree with that?? Im ok with making it a Federal Holiday, but lets leave out all the extra's and tackle those issues one at a time. And to be quite frank, each state has their own right to decide how redistricting works within their state, per their constitutional rights.

So right off the bat that proposal was an extreme overreach.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 08:28 PM
link   
This sounds amazing, financial transparency on Pres. and VP candidates, independent commissions for redistricting (IE no more gerrymandering), and small donor dollar matching (making our voice more equal to the rich) with a rescinding of states abilities to purge the voter rolls (which disproportionately target minorities). While I would like more transparency for all candidates who run for political office, this is a good start. Someone earlier pointed out that many people who don't vote do so out of disinterest or laziness, while true in some cases it's too broad a brush. Many people have to balance life, a full time job and children among a litany of other responsibilities. Providing a paid holiday would at worst improve voter turnout which is for the betterment of society.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
And once again Democrats only give half the story.

Sure, a holiday for voting day is fine.

But then look at all the extra #e they packed into the bill.

Then cry wolf when it gets struck down for being absurd.

Textbook liberal garbage.

Line item voting would fix this. It would also end all the needless pork.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join