It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McConnell says bill making Election Day a federal holiday is a ‘power grab’ by Democrats

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 03:08 PM
link   
How about that? Giving people the opportunity to vote is apparently a power grab. Is it any wonder the GOP actively seek out ways to make voting harder? I mean heck.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Wednesday that a Democratic bill that would make Election Day a federal holiday is a "power grab," sparking a fierce backlash online.

McConnell was speaking about H.R. 1, legislation that Democrats have made a centerpiece of their agenda since retaking the House earlier this month.

In remarks on the Senate floor, McConnell, R-Ky., said Democrats "want taxpayers on the hook for generous new benefits for federal bureaucrats and government employees," including making Election Day a "new paid holiday for government workers."

"So this is the Democrats' plan to 'restore democracy,'" McConnell said, describing the legislation as "a political power grab that's smelling more and more like what it is."

Source

I mean who doesn't want to find time out of their busy lives to wait in line for an hour or more? Yeah? It's almost an American tradition I suppose right?

I mean what do I know. 5 billion illegals voted in Cali during the 2016 presidential elections. Can't allow this.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

I think it is a great idea.
It should be a paid holiday.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 03:12 PM
link   
What are the negative points being stated about this effort?? I need more information.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I'm all about more Federal holidays.

But I'd also be in favor of passing some kind of civics test to vote. Look what happened when people were voting to "Get some of that Obama cash"

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn
They also want only the POTUS and Vice POTUS to be required to release their tax returns, but I love how they conveniently left out congress from a similar requirement.
The bill also wants to put redistricting within states into independent committees.

I think if they simply proposed a bill for a Federal Holiday on its own, it would be received a bit better.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
How about that? Giving people the opportunity to vote is apparently a power grab. Is it any wonder the GOP actively seek out ways to make voting harder? I mean heck.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Wednesday that a Democratic bill that would make Election Day a federal holiday is a "power grab," sparking a fierce backlash online.

McConnell was speaking about H.R. 1, legislation that Democrats have made a centerpiece of their agenda since retaking the House earlier this month.

In remarks on the Senate floor, McConnell, R-Ky., said Democrats "want taxpayers on the hook for generous new benefits for federal bureaucrats and government employees," including making Election Day a "new paid holiday for government workers."

"So this is the Democrats' plan to 'restore democracy,'" McConnell said, describing the legislation as "a political power grab that's smelling more and more like what it is."

Source

I mean who doesn't want to find time out of their busy lives to wait in line for an hour or more? Yeah? It's almost an American tradition I suppose right?

I mean what do I know. 5 billion illegals voted in Cali during the 2016 presidential elections. Can't allow this.

Most employers don't have an issue with someone coming in late or leaving early to vote. Let me guess, the same people who can't make it to the polls are the same ones with no ID?

A big problem with our system is that we are allowing the lowest common denominator to vote. People who have no business voting because they are uninformed and uneducated. Needless to say, most of these folks seem to be on the left of the political spectrum which is why Democrats try to remove as many barriers to these idiots voting as possible.

I'd trade a federal holiday to vote for a qualifying civics test... you get your holiday, but we get a civics test to ensure the electorate at least is somewhat informed.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 03:37 PM
link   
In 20+ years worth of working, I've never had a job that would care if you came in a little late or took off a little early to vote. In fact most of them encouraged this practice within the workplace, this comes from minimum wage grocery store, restaurant, call centers, service providers, consulting, etc. So where are these employers that forbid their employees from voting on election days?

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Between early voting, absentee ballots election day is already an ad hoc holiday.

Why do people need to get paid for doing their civic duty?

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hypntick
In 20+ years worth of working, I've never had a job that would care if you came in a little late or took off a little early to vote. In fact most of them encouraged this practice within the workplace, this comes from minimum wage grocery store, restaurant, call centers, service providers, consulting, etc. So where are these employers that forbid their employees from voting on election days?

They don't exist. The main culprits for non-voters are laziness, lack of interest and lack of knowledge.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Between early voting, absentee ballots election day is already an ad hoc holiday.

Why do people need to get paid for doing their civic duty?

Exactly. If voting is important you value your right to vote, you will do what it takes to go vote...

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 04:02 PM
link   

How would making Election Day a national holiday help Democrats? They don’t have jobs in the first place.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 04:19 PM
link   

He's not talking about the holiday, he's referring to the entire Bill.

H.R. 1- 116th Congress

It's far more than just making election day a holiday.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

How would making Election Day a national holiday help Democrats? They don’t have jobs in the first place.

Oh, good burn!

But maybe somewhat kinda true

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:41 PM
link   

If Southern Guardian were to look at this with honest intent, it would be obvious that the Senator was speaking about the entire bill, not just the holiday. Am I expecting too much?

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: timequake

If Southern Guardian were to look at this with honest intent, it would be obvious that the Senator was speaking about the entire bill, not just the holiday. Am I expecting too much?

You are expecting a progressive leftist to apply logic to the situation.

Same person that has a problem with the Electoral College....

So yes... you are expecting too much.

The bill ITSELF sucks and is a power play by the DNC.

From the source...

The far-reaching legislation would also prohibit the purging of voter rolls, require presidential and vice-presidential candidates to release their tax returns, compel states to adopt independent redistricting commissions and create a matching system for small-dollar donations to congressional campaigns, among other changes.

In his Wednesday remarks, as well as in a Washington Post commentary earlier this month, McConnell mocked the legislation as the "Democrat Politician Protection Act."

"H.R. 1 would victimize every American taxpayer by pouring their money into expensive new subsidies that don't even pass the laugh test," McConnell said on the Senate floor.

But yea... all about a paid holiday.

/facepalm

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

He's not talking about the holiday, he's referring to the entire Bill.

H.R. 1- 116th Congress

It's far more than just making election day a holiday.

Yeah, but it wouldn't fit his OMB scenario.

edit on 30-1-2019 by highvein because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 06:56 PM
link   
If all this bill did was to provide for a federal holiday for elections (does it specify which elections?) then perhaps it might be acceptable.

The bill weighs in at 570 pages. I have a feeling that there's more to the bill than simply giving federal workers the day off to vote. I mean, not all federal holidays are observed by the private sector; there are places that never close unless severe weather is having to be dealt with, Waffle House for example.

Just another misguided attempt by the democrats to shore up their crumbling power base.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Making voter day a holiday is a wonderful idea. Should have been done a long time ago.

Dems get a s&f for this one!

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad

originally posted by: Hypntick

They don't exist. The main culprits for non-voters are laziness, lack of interest and lack of knowledge.

lack of knowledge

No. That group votes nearly 100%

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

The bill also wants to put redistricting within states into independent committees.

Awesome!

You guys have just convinced me to call rick scott and tell him to vote yes on this.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join