It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I suppose I could be wrong, but what if this is why ancients tracked planetary movements so much?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 12:34 PM
link   
"I wonder if navigating by the stars will be picked up as we travel in to space in the future? "

It was used during the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions, and is in use today with shuttle, ISS, etc., missions.

Magnetic compasses are useless out there, LORAN doesn't work in the sea of space, and GPS was barely a glimmer in the eye of engineers during the time of the Apollo program.

The Merc/Gem/Apollo spacecraft had a gyro compass-like device (inertial nav system), but they also used astral positional observations (telescopic sextant) to confirm their gyro navigation gear was presenting accurate data.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: just2cents

Why the ancients would have a use for a 25000 years cycle clock. We use calibration of time in a way that is useful to us.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Harte
Eventually, it became the belief that the whole thing would end if you didn't cut enough beating hearts out of living prisoners' chests.

Well, that's a verifiable scientific fact.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

And this is why they migrate north and become the hopi tribe.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer
Why the ancients would have a use for a 25000 years cycle clock. We use calibration of time in a way that is useful to us.

Do we? For what? Measuring gravity waves? Yeah, real useful.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

You have the use for 25920 year clock only if you have a use for such a clock. Check the number out add up the digits they equal 9. The number of God. Try the same thing on a circle 360 of fractions of a circle ie 45... Try it on any of the platonic solids. You will get 9 also. Try it on the diameter of the moon in miles. (2160) or try it on the diameter of the sun. I could go on but you get the idea.

I will put a thread up soon on the Great Precision and its meaning. I will send you a PM when I do if you want.

Happy Days

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

If you could, update here when you do. I'd like to read it.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Of course I will. Soz not to put it in this thread but it will require some explaining..

Good thread

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I feel certain that those 'ancients' were just as inquisitive and clever as we are today, probably moreso going by their surviving works that we still struggle to explain. They didn't have distractions like entertainment media etc so the night sky would be an endless source of fascination and speculation on 'why is it so' plus 'how can we use it to our advantage'. That led to all sorts of inventions to aid the study and the construction material they used was very durable (stone).

The acquisition of knowledge and analysis of the acquired data has been a driving force for the human species since the dawn of time. That, and simple survival of course.

It wouldn't take a lot of observation to realise that the stars in the sky moved in unison maintaining their arrangement unchanged (constellations) but among them were a few 'wanderers' that changed position daily in relation to the fixed stars in the background.

edit on 31/1/2019 by Pilgrum because: addition

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: just2cents I'm working under the hypothesis (without evidence for the most part) here that perhaps it was not spiritual, and was not ancient alien stuff either, but was a practical practice for (bear with me here) early civilizations who may have had some form of space travel.

That's great and all but there's a titanic mountain of evidence over the 1000's of sites over the world that it was for religious reasons.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: Harte
Eventually, it became the belief that the whole thing would end if you didn't cut enough beating hearts out of living prisoners' chests.

Well, that's a verifiable scientific fact.

Yes, one of the many drawbacks of astrology.
Plus, it's harte wrenching.

Harte

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ziplock9000

That's a very valid point.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Another related point is why ancients painted satalite and thermal images of Earth on cave walls with paint that lasts how ever many thousands if years longer than modern paint.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 05:15 PM
link   

It wasn’t to measure their crops.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TheTruthRocks

It would be interesting to be on a spaceship with one of those hand held devices they used to use on ships.

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 10:36 AM
link   
At least in Sumer one of the reasons was to keep time to ensure that the Rule of the earthly domain rotated amongst the Gods according to the celestial motions.

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: just2cents
Another related point is why ancients painted satalite and thermal images of Earth on cave walls with paint that lasts how ever many thousands if years longer than modern paint.

I can answer your question (why?)
Because they didn't.

Harte

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join