It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear Mechanic...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Dear unnamed, well known - franchise mechanic
For the first time in a long time I'd bought a car i liked. You were paid (a lot) to fix my cars oil leak. The leak got plugged, but, so did the engine!? She don't work good no more - foot on gas no brrrrm brrrrm you dig me, el mechanico?

3 times in 3 weeks you've handed me the keys and said, ''yep, she's good to go!''.. Which was odd, because that usually means the cars good to drive, except in my case it spluttered around the classy East Perth city blocks like a very unfashionable but well-serviced hooker.. sorry my mind drifted there, anyway It wasn't working and i drove it straight back to your workshop!

I quite politely asked... ''what exactly have you done this past 7 days?''... to my amazement.. you responded in your obvious haste to fix this problem, you'd managed to order a fuel filter... except, it hadn't arrived yet.. that's real mechanic grit right there, bravo spannerman!

So, my next question to you was, ''if the filter doesn't fix the problem, whats next?''.. to which you very eloquently responded '' yep, mate we're on the same page ''

I don't think we are my brethren, my page definitely says you're handing me keys to my car running like a Porsche, or you're buying my car off me at market value.. anything less than that I'm taking your ass to court..

So, I'll be expecting a phone call in the next day or two.

PS, I apologize for any foul language, my parole officer says I need to get more involved in my court-assigned classes, this is exactly how I wound up in so much trouble last time. (/s)

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 04:54 AM
link   
I've always avoided franchises or chains and gone to back street guys who run their own business. Someone local who isn't going to move away or leave the country. Someone who knows you are local. I also buy my garage beers at Christmas and make sure he knows when I have sent people to him, sisters, brother, work mates...

I sold car parts for a few years and it seems that these chains employ low paid low skilled people, which is bad becasue these guys need to be learning from the best in order to become the best.

Not that any of this helps you...

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Went to a local business the other day for a new inner tube on my bicycle. I explained I wasn't sure if the slow puncture was the valve or a thorn. It was an ancient woods valve, the weather was cold, I had almost no tools, it seemed easiest to just ask for a professional to fit a new inner tube. As I left I thought of reminding him to check inside the tyre for a thorn, then thought that would be an insult to his intelligence.

Went to pick it up later. The bike was balanced on the mudguard, bending it. He put the wheel on and spun it. It rubbed on the mudguard and he re-aligned the wheel. I pointed out it was the mudguard and bent it back straight, then left hurriedly before any foul language made it through from my brain to my mouth. Rode off with the wheel not straight. Soon had another puncture, he had left the thorn in. Repaired the puncture and found the locking nut I thought was missing was there, but inside the wheel.

Bent mudguard, left thorn in, wheel not aligned, left locking nut at base of valve. Four mistakes from a professional.

Could we have a private Rant forum in which foul language is allowed? We might be able to let off a bit of steam that way.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

Wow that's terrible, especially from an independent bike shop. Normally these places are staffed by enthusiasts and experts, even when it's young kids working there they are obsessed with bikes and have good repair knowledge. Obviously that's a generalisation. I would definitely not go back there.

I've learned over the years that in order to avoid mishaps you do have to explain things down to the most stupid denominator.

I remember when my local Halfords was terrible for this, zero knowledge. Times change though, the guys behind the counter are good cookies.

Sadly I don't have a bike anymore, maybe that will change.

Woods valve... I didn't know they were still available.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Extinction Rebellion got me back on my bike. Bloody hippies.

Why do they still make Woods valves?

Why the hell does anyone still manufacture the damned things, they're a sod to pump up and the pressure is near impossible to check with a gauge!
forum.cyclinguk.org...

I called at Halfords first, I've always found them brilliant, even fiddling the prices in my favour. Unfortunately he was flummoxed by the coaster brake and referred me on to the smaller business, who may have employed the 'fixer' as a favour. Dangerous to give a special case responsibility for transport repairs. With the misaligned wheel braking hard sent me off in a classy-looking sideways skid.

Coaster brakes often cause skidding . . .
www.sheldonbrown.com...

I'd already had a bad experience with the small business years ago but thought I'd give them another chance. Won't go back.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

I wouldn't have had a clue about a coaster brake either in my bike days!

This scares me:

When coaster brakes fail (usually the result of chain breakage or derailment) they fail suddenly and completely.

Haha!

Nothing wrong with following the hippy causes, I have a tendency to do the same myself, just without the tie die, dreadlocks and pot.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 07:50 AM
link   
You guys should try owning a narrowboat. Boat mechanics are like hens teeth and even if you do manage to find one, they are a bunch of worthless layabouts because they know how over a barrel you are.

I have stopped trusting mechanics and learnt to do my own work.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 08:06 AM
link   

I use a step-through frame that gives me the option of getting both feet down firmly. I used to ride up to The Valley to buy . . . something on a step-through with no brakes, boot soles didn't last long. www.diggersanddreamers.org.uk...

Aldi's Castle and Crag has the odd side effect of speeding up my downhill descents. Note to self, be a bit more careful.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Dem0nc1eaner

I love boats. But.

A boat is a hole in the water you throw money into
www.survivalmonkey.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kester
a reply to: Dem0nc1eaner

I love boats. But.

A boat is a hole in the water you throw money into
www.survivalmonkey.com...

True that, but I won't get rid of it unless I really have to. Me and my (now) wife lived on it for a few years, until she got pregnant and it became unworkable, but I still keep hold of it pushing it round the Grand Union. My son was conceived on it and it will be where I show him his first engine.

Or maybe it will be where we all end up huddling round the stove whilst the sky is LITERALLY falling after Brexit hah! /s

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Oh and as to the OP, learn to do your own servicing and fixes. Some stuff might be just too much to learn, but you won't know until you try. Noone will care as much about your stuff as you do.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Never had trouble in that area, mechanically inclined since I took apart my toy cars to see whats inside...
and yes I see abuse from mechanics & repair people in general, nowdays you have youtube videos with tutorials on almost everything...hell! Iast month I looked for one on how to remove the door lock mechanism on my car...by watching the video I saved a couple hours on the repair.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

When it comes to taking my car to a mechanic I have found that using a smaller garage that bears the owner's name tends to bring better results- and are usually easier on the pocket book. If they do shoddy work or rip people off it besmudges their name and word spreads fast among the locals which usually puts them right out of business. The best mechanics have no need of advertisement because word of quality work at a fair price spreads quickly through the community. That has always been my experience anyway.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 07:17 PM
link   

my mech is part of the brethren church a very reliable and honest man i think i am very lucky in this day and age

top topics

join