It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Polar Vortex proof of...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   
It's definitely indisputable proof that in winter months in the northern hemisphere it can get very cold at times.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: ausername

Here in the UK it is going to be a bit nippy tonight - maybe even minus 5!!!!!! - and here in the South west 2-5 cm of snow is forecast for tomorrow!!!!!!

Hope all you affected by this Polar Vortex will say a prayer for us poor Brits!

Stay safe.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: 727Sky

Meanwhile Austailia is experiencing record breaking heat.

To proclaim global warming must be false because it is cold in the middle of winter is an anectodal fallacy.

Science behind the 'polar voter's:
www.noaa.gov...

Ah-ha! I thought so. It's just nature being nature. It doesn't matter if puny mankind is here or not.

BTW - Outside: www.weather.gov...

edit on 1/30/2019 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

HA got ya beat

forecast.weather.gov...

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

The climate change people are spewing fear to get more money so they can keep going. If CO2 was the culprit, then all of the scientists would agree. Yes, we need to quit all the wasting of fuels. Yes, we need to start being better environmental stewards. Back when all this global warming crap started, I was saying the same thing as I am saying now, the carbon emmissions are a problem, but the constant jets in the air are the most critical of the effect on our atmosphere. They burn fuel and emit carbon in an area without anything to uptake the carbon and bring it back down into storage again like a tree or some things living in the ocean do.

The earth also has cycles along with the sun and these can lead to either cooling or heating effects. I even mentioned long ago that if the atmosphere warms it can lead to increased cooling because of currents created and melting ice. But a tax will do nothing unless they tax the hell out of air travel instead of subsidizing it. The aviation industry gets cheaper fuel than we can buy it for,,,,,,because it is good for the economy to have people flying and spending money.

Our cars have converters in them that take out particulates by burning them with catalysts, they also lower carbon monoxide levels. Carbon does not disappear, it either combines with something to make it less harmful or more carbon dioxide is expelled, a green house gas. I remember when we just walked to the grocery store from town, now everyone has to drive because little markets have died when the big stores came around, they are far away from homes, everyone must get a ride now unless they want to carry their groceries for a half mile or more.

They are twisting the figures, there always has been a risk of frost killing oranges in Florida and the jet stream has always dropped down and brought worse weather to the southern states. If anything, I feel the alterations in the energy flow through the earth's crust is effecting the altered weather patterns more than the carbon emmissions, but why are they fracking....for gas and oil. The effect of altering energy flow through the earth's crust has been known for years but only ignored since they started fracking. Altering the energy flow on a local basis can alter the weather pattern locally, but remember, large areas of the country are being fracked, it is not a small amount of fracking going on, there is no way to even comprehend what doing this on such of a wide scale will effect things.

I believe we are screwing up our environment but taxing people to keep warm is not the right way to address the problem.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: jrod
Globally the number of record highs still far out number the record lows.

Meanwhile in New Zealand Heat wave breaks second 157 year old record.

And at the same time, we're still seeing record lows. If Global Warming were the thing it was projected to be, there wouldn't be snow or record cold. We were told by the official mouthpieces those things would cease to be. And don't bother denying it, you know that's true. You have to remember it as well as most of the rest of us.

You have no clue about meteorology or climate science.

Your argument is liberals believe in global warming therefore it must be false.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: CryHavoc
So, is this Polar Vortex extreme cold that's going to set records proof that there is no global warming?

Or will it just be ignored in the 'grand scheme' of things?

Well, it's a reasonable enough question when, going back a few decades, the unanimous 'AGW' summary was that we should be baked potatoes by now.

Since there have been periods...like now, in between times, there was the subtle addition of, 'well it won't always be hot, there will still be cold periods spasmodically'... then the by the way stuff, 'Global Warming' is it...then, no it's not, it's...DA DA....'Climate Change' to suit the premise better, since Global Warming is too big a speak in one mouthful...

one of my first threads back eight years,

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It didn't go down so well...yes we had the funny fellows back then too, those nice guys that like to do the put-downs on any subject that might not just be in total agreement with the the force fed fear mongers in high places, who tend to be economical with the truth when they can.
edit on 30-1-2019 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Really?

So this guy, our local meteorologist, has no clue what he's talking about? And since he's been pretty spot on about most things this winter so far, I'll go with him over you.

The polar vortex is a swirling area of winds in the upper atmosphere that is a persistent and typically a stronger feature of the winter months (it’s weaker in the summer months but still there). It’s located up towards the polar regions in the northern hemisphere. It more or less remains in a steady state up there and the circulation of it typically bottles up the REALLY nasty cold air for weeks at a time…

On occasion the polar vortex will be “disrupted”. Sometimes it’s because of “blocking” weather patterns in the eastern Pacific or the western Atlantic. Some also feel that what happens higher up in the atmosphere (remember that discussion a few weeks ago here on the blog about SSWs (Sudden Stratospheric Warming) events. There is research that shows that about 3-4 weeks AFTER one of these occurs…that there is a disruption to the polar vortex circulation.

When the vortex is disrupted it can break into various “lobes” and these lobes will migrate around the northern latitudes and occasionally drift farther southwards.

Which is basically what I said. The vortex doesn't go anywhere. It's still there. It just sends out smaller whirlpools of cold that affect different regions like a tornado spawning sisters.
edit on 30-1-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: CryHavoc

If colder temps prove climate change is false then wouldn't record braking warmer temps prove that it's true?

If not why not?

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Yes..you are 100% spot-on. Climate Change people want $$$. Much of it for their PERSONAL enjoyment.

But to be fair, most "causes" operate like that, sadly.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

If colder temps prove climate change is false then wouldn't record braking warmer temps prove that it's true?

If not why not?

Let me ask you this:

Let us suppose we are actually in for climate armageddon.

1. Why is the only real solution being proposed to take money from everyone? Don't kid yourself about the green economy nonsense. You cannot mandate technology appear out of thin air. It doesn't work like that. So their only solution thus far is to take vast amounts of money from people. How does that change the climate?

2. If we are indeed heading for ecological disaster as they say, why are none of the loudest voices practicing what they preach? They all still live exactly as they tell we cannot afford to anymore. They all still live right on the coasts in huge, energy inefficient houses, many in California, and I bet their lawns are irrigated heavily green. I bet they also fly private wherever and whenever too. Why? Don't they know how bad that all is? Don't they care as much as they say they do?

When they start acting like we're all gonna die instead of just screeching, maybe I'll take it more seriously.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I thought democrats had it all covered with climate change. If it gets colder or hotter, it is climate change and they must increase taxes to fight it.

I do remember over 20 years ago, winters were a lot colder. I remember minus 9 in Raleigh NC. Now they call it an arctic blast if temperatures drop into the low 20's here in the Carolinas. They are forecasting temperatures in the 60's and 70's next week.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Contrary to President Trump's nonsensical tweet..."What the hell is going on with Global Warming? --- Please come back!" --- The only reasonable scientific hypothesis about the recent cold snap into the continental United States, is that it is caused by global warming.

How???

The rapid loss of sea ice in the Arctic causes more absorption of heat into the liquid surface of the Arctic ocean; instead of reflecting the sun's rays into space from sea ice. The heat rose from the liquid Arctic ocean into the upper atmosphere, and split the polar vortex into two vortices; with one vortex spinning down into the continental United States.

Source: PBS NEWSHOUR - January 30, 2019 - "How climate change relates to this frigid weather"
Starts @ 8:48

www.pbs.org...

edit on 1-2-2019 by Erno86 because: added a couple of words

edit on 1-2-2019 by Erno86 because: added link

edit on 1-2-2019 by Erno86 because: link work

edit on 1-2-2019 by Erno86 because: ditto

edit on 1-2-2019 by Erno86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 01:27 PM
link   

It's sound Hollow Earth has just turned on the airconditioning.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: CryHavoc
So, is this Polar Vortex extreme cold that's going to set records proof that there is no global warming?

Or will it just be ignored in the 'grand scheme' of things?

No its not proof of anything in itself. In models of global warming. Some areas will cool and others heat. This is largely due to oceanic currents which are largely caused by Thermohaline circulation. This process is effected by the likes of melting ice which changes the density of the sea water.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Erno86

And when it did it back in the 40's or 50's.

It's still called weather.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join