It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Polar Vortex proof of...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 10:17 PM
link   
So, is this Polar Vortex extreme cold that's going to set records proof that there is no global warming?

Or will it just be ignored in the 'grand scheme' of things?

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: CryHavoc

Depends. There is a theory of "the grand solar minimum"

edit on 29-1-2019 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 10:28 PM
link   

I think when it's record cold in some places on the planet, it's record hot in other places?

As President Trump sarcastically said this morning, the USA could use some of that manmade global warming right now!

(I just went outside for a cig, and my nose hairs froze. Windchill is 26 below right now in Chicagoland.)

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

You remind me why Palatine, IL was a terrible place to live!

I do not miss that kind of cold.

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 10:35 PM
link   
The gradual global warmup due to man created carbon excess will of couse lead to lowering temperatures throughout the globe. This is accepted science.

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 10:49 PM
link   
"I just went outside for a cig"

I would think that you vape

They say that the warming of the planet causes weather extremes. I think it has more to do with the Sun as mentioned above.

edit on 29-1-2019 by LookingAtMars because: add

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 10:55 PM
link   
New name for an old event, when they say this polar vortex is one of the worst, it only accounts back to when they named it polar vortex, it can break all kinds of records without being fake news. It's really cold here, say seventeen below 0 F right now, but this is not new, we had it much worse many years through my life. They are changing the way they interpret things just so they can say it breaks a new record. They keep saying on the weather that we broke a record cold for a day, but that is just for that day, there were many colder days in our history, just not that day. Same with just about any big weather event lately, hottest day in history, doesn't matter that the next day ten years ago was ten degrees hotter. This twisting of evidence to make something appear different than it really is is not just used by the media, it is used extensively by the sciences these days or maybe the weather service is telling the weather people that it broke a record and the weather on TV makes it sound worse than it is. Who knows who is trying to deceive us these days, If I want information on what is in the near future, I call the national weather service station that is four mile from my house. Sometimes the temperature there is higher than here, sometimes it is the opposite way. Rarely do our thermometers match, but the two I have outside usually are a degree or less from each other. In a mile, the temperature can be much different, watch the temperature gauge on your car as you drive, it goes up and down a lot.

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Minus 38.8 c is the freezing point of mercury, so if it gets colder than that we might bot know unless we have the right measuring equipment.

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars
"I just went outside for a cig"
I would think that you vape

They say that the warming of the planet causes weather extremes. I think it has more to do with the Sun as mentioned above.

Would vaping, instead of lighting tobacco, reduce the rate of global warming?

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

When record cold temps have stood for 125 years and are now being broken by several degrees what is one to think ?

This year was supposed to be bad and it ain't just America as Europe is in the same ice bound boat. Page posted in another thread that this year according to NOAA was supposed to be normal to above normal... They were FOS as they usually are with their long range forecast.

If the global cooling folks are correct from now until 2030 the winters will just be getting colder ... I just hope the power and gas supply is not disrupted for those who need to heat their homes not to mention the planting and harvest season getting screwed up....

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 02:42 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Meanwhile Austailia is experiencing record breaking heat.

To proclaim global warming must be false because it is cold in the middle of winter is an anectodal fallacy.

Science behind the 'polar voter's:
www.noaa.gov...
edit on 30-1-2019 by jrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 03:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: CryHavoc
So, is this Polar Vortex extreme cold that's going to set records proof that there is no global warming?

As average temperatures rise, weather patterns become increasingly unstable and the overall effect is oscillatory until a new normal establishes.

Think of it like an increasingly pressurized basketball. When it is not pumped up, it rebounds very poorly, you throw it and it goes "flomp" on the ground. But if you add energy to the system by pressurizing the air, the ball will rebound. it will bounce rather than stopping still. Putting more energy into the ball of the Earth's atmosphere, pressurizes it and causes atmospheric rebounds, big oscillatory swings in state (weather).

So, average global warming can cause local cooling events as temperatures move around more violently. The melting of the Arctic has been happening for years and is an undeniable proof that the climate is changing. Regardless of if it is human caused or a natural process, it IS happening.

An increase in the severity and frequency of unusual (but not impossible) weather events are an expected consequence of global warming and are borne out in computer models.

edit on 30/1/2019 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 03:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage
The gradual global warmup due to man created carbon excess will of couse lead to lowering temperatures throughout the globe. This is accepted science.

It is the pollution in the air that is warming up in many places around the globe and with little air pollution the areas are getting hit with weird weather more often. That is a fact and I'm not a govt . employee.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 04:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: CryHavoc

I did a thread on the polar vortex last month here. In it, I quoted some scientist that explained how global warming caused the polar vortex.

This Polar Vortex is a true marvel of modern science. What we are looking at is the scientific explanation of how global warming is making the earth colder.

Many people defended this. At the end,though, the entire concept just sounded so crazy the MSM weather mostly stopped calling it polar vortex this time around.

100% recycled

I came from Alabama,
Wid my banjo on my knee,
I'm gwyne to Louisiana,
My true love for to see;
It rain'd all night the day I left,
The weather it was dry,
The sun so hot I froze to death,
Susanna, don't you cry.

-- 19th century global warming song
edit on 30-1-2019 by toms54 because: spelling

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:54 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 06:00 AM
link   
a reply to: toms54

*GASP*
You can't bring facts here! Don't you know that this is the place where disdain for science rules, and where people take Trump's idiotic tweets seriously?

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I thought all this was sorted when they changed it from "Global Warming" to "Climate Change"?

(post by Sillyolme removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg
a reply to: toms54

*GASP*
You can't bring facts here! Don't you know that this is the place where disdain for science rules, and where people take Trump's idiotic tweets seriously?

TBH, I don't know if it's true or not. When you read the article, it says

It should be noted that this theory is relatively new and there is a lot of debate in the climate science community about the extent to which such a connection exists.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 07:54 AM
link   

There is no global warming.

Before this whole global warming bs schemed was cooked up, scientists were saying we are heading into a mini iceage.

NatGeo

Skeptical Scientist

Them vs Now

IBD

Scientist versus Scientist

UCS

Piltz declared that political appointees were working "to impede forthright communication of the state of climate science" and tried to "undermine the credibility and integrity of the program."

Certainly, anyone can find just as many or more sources providing a strong argument for the opposite. Point is, I have seen the story change.

They can't keep the story straight.

And, if -25 in West Michigan is global warming, I would hate to see an alleged iceage. Polar vortex, has been around for ever. Longer than I have, and no one blamed it on global warming.

Back in my day, we called it the weather of the season. There's four seasons too by the way.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join