It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican Senators Deny Agent Orange Benefits For Veterans.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: soundguy

Ok as opposed to saying Repug repug over and over again? LOL

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I’m not aware of my use of that word. What was it again! @#$&%’l? Care to show me an example. Fail.....

If I had a word, it would be tRump.

a reply to: Logarock

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Thank you Soundguy. It's a shame that the area that got contaminated was 17 mile radius around Edgewood and many don't even know what is wrong with them as well as the doctors they see. The Regional VA rep told me my claim would sit on somebody's desk forever or until Congress made them do something.

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
How many new agent orange studies do we need?

www.publichealth.va.gov...

www.nap.edu...

www.cancer.org...

embryo.asu.edu...

GOP just keeps giving the dembs more detrimental campaign info.

2020 is going to be a turkey shoot....No money to help vets but "build that wall"

Another Stalinist that didn't read past the headline. Read about WHY those 2 voted they way they did. Of course if you did that you would have to look for another Outrage of the Day.

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
From your Military Times link:

VA Secretary Robert Wilkie voiced his opposition to the bill in September, citing cost concerns and insufficient scientific evidence. He urged lawmakers to hold off until a new study is released in 2019.

So there's no money and lack of scientific evidence.

Why should we vote to authorize something before the study report is released and the results are analyzed?

And yet, the government offers compensation to any veteran who is diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also known as “Lou Gehrig’s disease”.

The actual cause for ALS has yet to be determined, nor is it clear why there is a statistically higher occurrence of ALS among veterans, across all services, deployments, and specialties.

I have two relatives, by marriage (no genetic link) who receive compensation as the surviving spouses of veterans who died as a result of ALS.
edit on 29-1-2019 by Bhadhidar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bhadhidar

From your Military Times link:

VA Secretary Robert Wilkie voiced his opposition to the bill in September, citing cost concerns and insufficient scientific evidence. He urged lawmakers to hold off until a new study is released in 2019.

So there's no money and lack of scientific evidence.

Why should we vote to authorize something before the study report is released and the results are analyzed?

And yet, the government offers compensation to any veteran who is diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also known as “Lou Gehrig’s disease”.

The actual cause for ALS has yet to be determined, nor is it clear why there is a statistically higher occurrence of ALS among veterans, across all services, deployments, and specialties.

I have two relatives, by marriage (no genetic link) who receive compensation as the surviving spouses of veterans who died as a result of ALS.

Do you know what the study is about?

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 08:16 PM
link   
You did not read the article that you linked . did you ?
You just read the glorified headline
This was not a last-ditch
This was a proposal for a "unanimous vote"

On Monday night, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., went to the Senate floor and asked for unanimous consent to pass the bill. Unanimous consent expedites approval but can be stopped if one senator objects.

Bold by me for emphasis only

Only one Senator needs to cast a "nay" vote to stop this
The bill was stalled in the Senate , and the D's were desperate. Too desperate.
A political ploy.

The bill will be brought up again for a normal vote , or challenged in the judicial system

Let us see how the President weighs in before we go into a full-blown hate. As many have a tendency to do when they read only a glorified headline

edit on 1/29/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/29/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: soundguy

Conscripted into service, poisoned by the government, hated by society, and now, disavowed by republican senators. What a sad sick country this has become.
Facts:www.stripes.com...
Further Reading: www.militarytimes.com...
mavenroundtable.io... cw/

How did Navy sailors come in contact with Agent Orange?

If you served on a Blue Water Navy ship on the inland waterways of Vietnam between January 9, 1962, and May 7, 1975—or you ever came ashore in Vietnam—you likely had contact with Agent Orange. The U.S. military used this toxic chemical to clear trees and plants during the war. Find out if you can get disability compensation or benefits for illnesses believed to be caused by contact with Agent Orange.

VA.gov

If one patrolled inland waterways in Vietnam one likely was exposed to AO—even residually— by virtue of being in the midst of where it was spread: surrounded by contaminated jungle.

Thank-you for explaining. Considering that these sailors were drafted, compensation should be awarded to them and to their spouses/children as long as they live.

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

They cared so much they waited 47 years to score a political point.

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

ALS is what I'm being treated for. I asked the VA doctor how come you don't write that in your report. He said because the Neurologist Dept. head said I was contaminated by an unknown hazardous substance.

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

What study?

I’m afraid I don’t understand your reference/question.

I was attempting to point out that an apparent “lack of evidence”, as cited by the VA in reference to the blue water vets claims, does not seem to be an issue with regard to providing compensation for vets suffering from ALS, despite the fact that the cause(s) of ALS have not been determined. Nor has the exact link between military service and a higher likelihood of contracting ALS been identified.

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: rjbaggins

ALS is what I'm being treated for. I asked the VA doctor how come you don't write that in your report. He said because the Neurologist Dept. head said I was contaminated by an unknown hazardous substance.

I’m sorry to hear that.

And my deepest gratitude for your service.

For your sake, and the sake of your family, if you have not yet done so, contact the ALS society.

My step-father was diagnosed just two years before his death. My mother now receives a monthly stipend from the VA.

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 08:48 PM
link   

The study in question, the one referred to in the article I quoted, is due out this year. It aims to answer whether Blue Water personnel who served off the coast of Vietnam, but were not in the waterways of Vietnam, were actually exposed to agent orange.

One disease does not equal the other.

I dont always go to bat for the VA, but the fact is, there is no evidence these veterans were exposed en masse. Until there is no compensation can be given.

I had to present evidence for a well documented injury. I had to show that my helicopter smashed into the ground and injured me before anyone would compensate me for anything. I had to dig into maintenance and my own flight records to make it happen.

I'm also part of a burn pit study. Having been housed near Kandahar's infamous poo pond for a time and having spent quite some time down wind of Tarin Kowt's burn pit. A lot of people are showing signs of health issues correlated to burn pit exposure. The VA does NOT compensate for this en masse. But when they complete their study that may change.

Making compensation decisions without a real concrete justification of some kind is not the same thing as studying things and compensating them on a case by case basis.

edit on 29 1 19 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Yeah, it kinda figures you had to got through all that crap to "prove" you were hurt.
Helicopter crash! Ugh...

My wife works with a lady that has a husband recieving va disability.
He hurt his back playing basketball......
Nothing military related but he still gets a check.

Funny that he still manages to work,at the post office delivering mail.

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 09:05 PM
link   
R's, D's, no difference..they all suck, not matter how hard people here try to convince "their" team is above board..they aren't, they are all criminals!!

My sympathies to veterans who get screwed.
edit on 29-1-2019 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 09:19 PM
link   

The study in question, the one referred to in the article I quoted, is due out this year. It aims to answer whether Blue Water personnel who served off the coast of Vietnam, but were not in the waterways of Vietnam, were actually exposed to agent orange.

One disease does not equal the other.

I dont always go to bat for the VA, but the fact is, there is no evidence these veterans were exposed en masse. Until there is no compensation can be given.

I had to present evidence for a well documented injury. I had to show that my helicopter smashed into the ground and injured me before anyone would compensate me for anything. I had to dig into maintenance and my own flight records to make it happen.

I'm also part of a burn pit study. Having been housed near Kandahar's infamous poo pond for a time and having spent quite some time down wind of Tarin Kowt's burn pit. A lot of people are showing signs of health issues correlated to burn pit exposure. The VA does NOT compensate for this en masse. But when they complete their study that may change.

Making compensation decisions without a real concrete justification of some kind is not the same thing as studying things and compensating them on a case by case basis.

I just read the VVA Weekly Web Jan 29th,2019

What Will the Navy’s Denial of Camp Lejeune Claims Mean for other Contaminated Bases?

You make some good points, but when many people have the same illness and there is the same chemicals present it does seem suspicious.

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: rjbaggins

I decided to live off post the whole time I was in. No way was I going to live on a property run by the government for over a century.

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 10:11 PM
link   

I was ignorant then. I believed the military was taking care of their people. Most do, and I did, but many just don't know what is going on.

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 10:42 PM
link   

VVA Web Weekly Jan 29th, 2019

Jut saw this.

As reported January 29 by Ann E. Marimow for The Washington Post, the federal appeals court in Washington sided Tuesday with thousands of Vietnam War veterans who were stationed offshore during the war and developed health problems linked to exposure to the toxic herbicide Agent Orange. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit ruled overwhelmingly for these sailors, finding they are eligible for the same disability benefits as those who put boots on the ground or patrolled Vietnam’s inland rivers. The 9-to-2 decision reverses a decade-old ruling by the court and applies to an estimated 52,000 veterans nationwide. A court majority said Congress clearly intended to extend benefits to sailors who were stationed in the territorial seas and are known as “blue water” Navy veterans. “We find no merit in the government’s arguments to the contrary,” Judge Kimberly A. Moore wrote for the majority.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Sorry.. I was a little out there last night. Didn't really mean vets should be jailed. I was just aggravated.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join