It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Empire star involved in possible hate hoax?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Never heard of the actor or the show until this thread's existence.

USA Today just posted a story on it, and Smollett has lots of support according to that article, and it's not just his fellow actors:

Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) was of the same mind, stressing the urgent need to pass legislation adding lynching to the list of federal hate crimes.

"The vicious attack on actor Jussie Smollett was an attempted modern-day lynching," Booker wrote. "I'm glad he's safe."

"To those in Congress who don't feel the urgency to pass our Anti-Lynching bill designating lynching as a federal hate crime – I urge you to pay attention."

The vicious attack on actor Jussie Smollett was an attempted modern-day lynching. I'm glad he's safe.

To those in Congress who don't feel the urgency to pass our Anti-Lynching bill designating lynching as a federal hate crime– I urge you to pay attention. t.co...
— Cory Booker (@CoryBooker) January 29, 2019

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi condemned the assault, saying the "racist, homophobic attack on @JussieSmollett is an affront to our humanity."

"No one should be attacked for who they are or whom they love," she tweeted. "I pray that Jussie has a speedy recovery & that justice is served. May we all commit to ending this hate once & for all."

The racist, homophobic attack on @JussieSmollett is an affront to our humanity. No one should be attacked for who they are or whom they love. I pray that Jussie has a speedy recovery & that justice is served. May we all commit to ending this hate once & for all.
— Nancy Pelosi (@SpeakerPelosi) January 30, 2019

'Empire' star Jussie Smollett: Attackers yelled, 'This is MAGA country' during beating

Looking at the area as posted earlier in the thread vis a vis Google street view, there is almost no way that the alleged attackers would be able to avoid being seen on video of at least a few of the cameras local to the event.

We shall see what there is to be seen.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

I guess Corey isn't going to run for President, putting his reputation on the line for a so far unproven event. I think he is jumping the gun, par for the course.

If I were a Black man, there is no way in hell I would keep a noose on my neck from an attack for 45 mins.

edit on 30-1-2019 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

Maybe Booker can dress up like Spartacus and offer security. These types of things are as bad as the Kavanaugh affair and they are done on purpose. Create false accusations, throw it in the media cycle and then the days that follow it is lost when discredited and no retractions but people still talk about the attack and the racist Trump supporters.

It is ludicrous. The poor part for the left, no matter what the polls or talking heads say, voters and 'real' Americans not actors and musicians or sport players, make up the country.

In all of organized sports there are less than 1000 players in the big time. There are maybe 20-30 big stars in movies always talking. There are about 20-30 musicians always talking.

There are over 300 million people in America. Last election had record turnout from the states that wanted a voice and it carried our president. Most people could care less about fake sensationalism.

Booker. Sharpton. Harris. Spike Lee. Racist peddlers of hate. They hate white people so much they are not even told to stop when they attack.

It is almost 2020. There was a black president for 8 years and he did nothing to bridge the generations...he burnt the bridge.

edit on Janpm31pmf0000002019-01-30T12:01:30-06:001230 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 01:02 PM
link   
This is a Chicago Hate Crime

en.wikipedia.org...

This was horrible...then president Barack Obama said this about it.

"What we have seen as surfacing, I think, are a lot of problems that have been there a long time... Whether it's tensions between police and communities, (or) hate crimes of the despicable sort that has just now recently surfaced on Facebook"

Blaming the system and not the perpetrators.

Obama kicked it off in 09 with Beergate. Less than 6 months in office....

Link

President Obama said that police in Cambridge, Massachusetts, "acted stupidly" in arresting a prominent black Harvard professor last week after a confrontation at the man's home. Harvard University professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. talks Wednesday about his ordeal with Cambridge police. Harvard University professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. talks Wednesday about his ordeal with Cambridge police. Click to view previous image 1 of 2Click to view next image "I don't know, not having been there and not seeing all the facts, what role race played," Obama said Wednesday night while taking questions after a White House news conference. Cambridge authorities dropped disorderly conduct charges against Henry Louis Gates Jr. on Tuesday. Obama defended Gates on Wednesday night, while admitting that he may be "a little biased," because Gates is a friend. "But I think it's fair to say, No. 1, any of us would be pretty angry; No. 2, that the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home; and, No. 3 ... that there's a long history in this country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately." The incident, Obama said, shows "how race remains a factor in this society."

Race hate is not inherited. It is learned and promoted with thinking like this. It sucks. It causes young kids not to know how to act when they sure did in the 80's and 90's. It was a great time to be any color or religion.

edit on Janpm31pmf0000002019-01-30T13:06:59-06:000159 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan>>> The guy is a complete moron. He's trying to get attention and to curry favor for personal gain. And he's every bit as bad as those he feels hate him. He needs to be checked for drug abuse or have a mental health evaluation.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

Few things to note from what I've read today:

Take a moment and look at the envelope. It looks like a child drew it. So, now we're supposed to assume that these guys deliberately tracked down Smollett and ambushed him, then sent a letter that looks like a 7-year-old made it after watching a cheesy old mystery on cable?

Threatening letter was received Jan 22th (source). It was apparently postmarked Jan 18th. Fox (the studio producing 'Empire') stepped up security on the set and reportedly offered Smollett around the clock security, which he declined.

* Who on earth would call Chicago "MAGA country"? Seriously, name just one person who would say this.

Apparently the outlet originally reporting this was TMZ and their source was a "person close to" Smollett. However, it doesn't appear that Smollett himself made this claim in reporting the crime (source):

"According to the victim, the offenders' faces were concealed," a police spokesperson told Reason. "We have no record indicating that [they shouted 'MAGA'], we only have record of them shouting racial and homophobic slurs at him."

Chicago police have also released a statement contradicting claims that Smollett identified his attackers' race and heard them shout "MAGA."

"We have no record of The MAGA Country comment," said the police in a statement. "We have racial and homophobic comments documented."

And it re:

* Why the hell was Smollett walking to a Subway sandwich shop at 2AM?

Smollett picked up someone in a bar or club and went home with them. (I don't know if he's really gay or not, nor do I care.) He gets into a fight with this person, or perhaps a friend of this person, and Smollett gets bleach thrown on him. He needs to go to the hospital, but to cover up what happened he concocts this fictional hate crime, basically off the top of his head, not realizing how utterly unbelievable it is before it's too late.

So far the only footage that they've apparently turned up was footage of Smollett inside the Subway (source). So that part of his story checks out.

I don't know if that changes your opinion or not. At first blush, my reaction was that this story smelled fishy. As of now, I'm still on the fence but leaning toward legit.

We all know people make # up but this guy doesn't seem to fit the bill for the usual suspect — he's a successful actor with a recurring role on a top-rated show — not a flaky college kid or a waitress looking for a GoFundMe windfall. Then again, it could be a publicity stunt.

As crimes go, it seems like an absurd thing for anyone to do but then you have to remember that people who commit random hate crimes are often disturbed and the # they do doesn't really make any sense. These are people are prone to bizarre behavior.

Another possibility is that he is being specifically targeted for harassment by someone with an unknown motive and it's being made to look like a hate crime.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 01:33 PM
link   
So, has that envelope and letter been dusted for prints?
edit on Janpm31pmf0000002019-01-30T13:34:10-06:000110 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: SamWells

originally posted by: chr0naut

Would the criminally insane, patrol around late at night and do and say random violent stuff like that?

No, not at all, that's crazy talk.

At 2am, in -15 weather. the criminally insane arent patrolling anything.

Firstly, the cold weather only began today. When the attack happened the overnight temp was 7 degrees.

Second, are you expecting the insane to act rationally?

1. It was 7 degrees ok? Still cold, but not impossibly cold.

2. Who said the attack was perpetrated by an insane person? Do you have any evidence?

1. The cold temperatures may explain why no one thought the ski masks were out of place, perhaps?

2. Sane people don't attack people with bleach, but I was being a little facetious. To jump to the conclusion that such an attack is a hoax, in the weird world of 21st century America, seems more far fetched than that it was genuinely a hate crime. Especially with the FBI releasing figures in November last year that indicate a 17% increase in hate crimes during 2017. It happens.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Or, he is lying.

Bruce Lee once said that one should be like water, I think most folks are like water in that we follow the path of least resistance. If the story is too complex, it's usually just that, a story.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 01:38 PM
link   
pjmedia.com...

Again, ATS is way, way ahead of the pack.

Stay classy Jussie.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
pjmedia.com...

Again, ATS is way, way ahead of the pack.

Stay classy Jussie.

The CPD cannot find any video evidence of the attackers yet, from a tweet in the article, I saw:

CPD spokesman says, per department policy, officers informed Smollett they were wearing activated body cameras. He did request the cameras to be turned off.

So, he was still wearing the "noose" around his neck 45 minutes later when the police arrived to take his statement, yet he asked them to turn off their body cams? WTF for? Seriously?!?!

edit on 1/30/2019 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 01:46 PM
link   
do famous folk go outa walking after midnight on their own

i doubt it

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManyMasks

i doubt it

The only video the Chicago PD has found regarding this assault corroborates his account of being out alone, so your doubts are misplaced in this instance.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   
If this is found to be not true, this guy just ruined his career.
Interesting to see that Sharpton has weighed in, I thought that guy had learned his lesson.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Would the criminally insane, patrol around late at night and do and say random violent stuff like that?

Firstly, the cold weather only began today. When the attack happened the overnight temp was 7 degrees.

2. Who said the attack was perpetrated by an insane person? Do you have any evidence?

1. The cold temperatures may explain why no one thought the ski masks were out of place, perhaps?

2. Sane people don't attack people with bleach, but I was being a little facetious. To jump to the conclusion that such an attack is a hoax, in the weird world of 21st century America, seems more far fetched than that it was genuinely a hate crime. Especially with the FBI releasing figures in November last year that indicate a 17% increase in hate crimes during 2017. It happens.

Hardly anyone walks around in ski masks in public... it would be out of place. It is -25 here right now. I was out and about and didn't see one ski mask.

The attack has hoax written all over it as it is just too over the top. This is called deductive reasoning. Common sense. Do racial attacks happen? Yes... and they are rare and usually aren't so brazen. However, the claim that two guys wearing MAGA hats beats up a D list actor most people wouldn't recognize in public who stars on a show largely watched by black folks and then throwing a noose around his neck in a wealthy downtown neighborhood in Chicago is a bit over the top.

What typically happens in these situations is that the victim either is the one who is mentally unstable and is trying to get some clout by claiming a false attack OR they are using the attack as cover for something else they didn't want to come out.

As I stated earlier, I am going on record that Jussie was involved in a lover's spat or drug buy of some sort. Whatever it is, it is embarrassing. However, his injuries required him to seek medical attention and so he made up the story as cover.

If I am wrong, I will more than happily admit it.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManyMasks

i doubt it

Yes, especially in a big city like Chicago. I've seen A list actors and other very well known people just walking around liek normal people. To be clear as well, Jussie really ain't that "famous". He is not well known enough where I'd venture 99% of the people who saw him on the street would recognize him unprompted.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Hardly anyone walks around in ski masks in public... it would be out of place. It is -25 here right now. I was out and about and didn't see one ski mask.

The attack has hoax written all over it as it is just too over the top. This is called deductive reasoning. Common sense. Do racial attacks happen? Yes... and they are rare and usually aren't so brazen. However, the claim that two guys wearing MAGA hats beats up a D list actor most people wouldn't recognize in public who stars on a show largely watched by black folks and then throwing a noose around his neck in a wealthy downtown neighborhood in Chicago is a bit over the top.

What typically happens in these situations is that the victim either is the one who is mentally unstable and is trying to get some clout by claiming a false attack OR they are using the attack as cover for something else they didn't want to come out.

As I stated earlier, I am going on record that Jussie was involved in a lover's spat or drug buy of some sort. Whatever it is, it is embarrassing. However, his injuries required him to seek medical attention and so he made up the story as cover.

If I am wrong, I will more than happily admit it.

The Mayor of Chicago just publicly called for people to wear balaclavas (ski masks) when going outside due to the dangerously low temperatures.

There was no claim that the assailants were wearing MAGA hats. The claim was that they said "This is MAGA country".

The claim also was that the assailants recognized their victim and said so. People who have no fame at all are still victims of hate crimes. Your suggestion that he would not be target of a hate crime because he was a D list actor, is unreasonable.

But it truly could be a hoax. I was questioning the psychology and motivation of those who immediately make that assumption.

edit on 30/1/2019 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

which is it?

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Wayfarer

Ok
Maybe he was listening to some Patsy Cline
And felt compelled to go out

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join