It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK is Transitioning into a Full Blown Nancy-State

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

You can wear what you like. I often wear my kilt when I'm on a raiding party into England...

Thank you.

It makes it easier it for me to shoot you with my bow and arrow from the bar walls (never repealed that law in York). We can also still stone Catholics on the common land (now the racecourse) - although the only stoning of Catholcis i have ever seen there didn't go down well with the Police........something about the Misuse of Drugs Act?

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 06:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: SarahConnor
a reply to: eletheia
I don't ever really get offended, sticks n stones n all that. Someone called me a scrounging single parent the other day, I was like meh, I'll be back to work after surgery next month wiping the bums of their grandparents and paying tax again.
Offended isn't a thing with me, just words, who cares, and why do they care?

Exactly this. What ever happened to teaching our kids that "sticks and stones may break our bones but names will never hurt us"?

Frankly, a good insult should always be well received. Plus, we are actually rather creative when it comes to insults, so even better.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 06:52 AM
link   

I don't ever really get offended, sticks n stones n all that.

Sorry if you think that was aimed at you......It wasn't its a comment I often make

because I do often come across 'professional' being offended's.

Judging by many of your comments I think we sing from the same hymn sheet.

Someone called me a scrounging single parent the other day, I was like meh,

I'm more like where are the missing so called fathers are they doing their bit ?

I'll be back to work after surgery next month wiping the bums of their grandparents and paying tax again.
Offended isn't a thing with me, just words, who cares, and why do they care?

Good luck with the operation.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Thank you! I didn't think you aimed it at me either, I'm the same with people who get offended over nothing, it is silly, but I don't see these people in real life only on social media. None of my friends are like it though, just people on public pages or twitter. First world problems, I have more to worry about than people saying unkind things lol, I've always told my boys to man up because someone else's opinion means nothing compared to problems other people have in the world, try being a kid in Somalia or somewhere.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian

Exactly this. What ever happened to teaching our kids that "sticks and stones may break our bones but names will never hurt us"?

Lol!! that's far too difficult for this age of 'snowflakes' who need 'hugs' and

'group hugs' before they can even get out of bed.

Frankly, a good insult should always be well received. Plus, we are actually rather creative when it comes to insults, so even better.

Can even put metal in the spine, or iron in the velvet glove..... and that long

forgotten thing ...... 'personal responsibility.'

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyInTheOintment

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Learn the difference between a hate incident and a hate crime

You see, as a Brit myself, I don't understand why you're okay with it even being labeled a 'hate incident'. It's a poem in poor taste. He didn't assault anyone either verbally or physically, he didn't share it to a transgender FB page to provoke a reaction, he just randomly retweeted something he thought was funny. Which proves he's a bit dim for sharing it, if he knows anything at all about the current state of affairs in the UK - but nothing else.

It only deserves the moniker 'hate' if it is a willful act of aggression or incitement.

It wasn't.

It should have been correctly labeled as a 'stupidity incident'.

I agree, Scotland has just implemented a new Pyschological abuse law for domestic "gas lighting" and other forms of psychological abuse , but how can you legally determine abuse occurred when its subjective if its personal testimony and no mutually corroborative evidence can be obtained, it is therefore down to a judge to determine if their was a legal basis for the psychological abuse , do we require brains scans or something?

Here is the link Judges to undergo psyhcological abuse training

Now there is also the hate speech act , wwhich covers all protected identity characteristics in Scotland , England may vary slightly

What is hate crime? I have used this definition of hate crime: Offences "which adhere to the principle that crimes motivated by hatred or prejudice towards particular features of the victim's identity should be treated differently from 'ordinary' crimes." [2] The criminal law recognises a number of identity-based 'protected' characteristics. Currently, as noted above, these are: race, religion, disability, sexual orientation and transgender identity. The definition is qualified in the sense that it is not necessary to prove motivation: it is sufficient if, in committing an offence, the perpetrator demonstrates hostility (currently, in Scotland, referred to as 'malice and ill-will') in relation to the protected characteristic shared by the victim.

this was taken from an independent review of hate crime legislation in scotland

independent review of hate crime legislation Scotland

the actual act determines a hate crime as following

The Scottish Government defines Hate Crime as crime committed against a person or property that is motivated by ‘malice or ill-will towards an identifiable social group’.

It is likely that you are a victim of a hate crime if you believe that someone has targeted you because of their prejudice against an aspect of your identity. In Scotland, the law recognises hate crimes as crimes motivated by prejudice based on:

race, religion, sexual orientation, transgender identity, disability,

You do not need to be a member of a minority community to be a victim of hate crime. The law is quite clear that the identity of the victim is irrelevant as to whether something is a hate crime or not.

The motivation of the perpetrator is the key factor in defining a hate crime.

Hate Crimes can take a number of forms, including, but not limited to: physical assault damage to property e.g. graffiti, arson, vandalism fly tipping or dumping rubbish at someone’s door putting dangerous materials through a letterbox intimidating or threatening behaviour including obscene calls or gestures deliberate dog fouling offensive literature such as letters, leaflets, posters verbal abuse or insults including name-calling online bullying and abuse emotional, psychological and financial abuse including threats, blackmail and extortion murder

Please note here , Emotional Abuse
emotional abuse is entirely subjective to the individual , and cannot be proven sufficiently in a court of law
hence why they base the law around the intent of the person who carried out the act!

So all you need to do is ensure you say you are joking , or being satirical

otherwise your intent is open to scrutiny and could land you in hot water.
Now should we need to explain through disclaimer you are joking , when sometimes it can be clearly obvious
as where is the difference between an artist making a point and a musician or a comedian from a normal person , there is no difference at all.

I think that its wrong to use subjective states of consciousness to determine a legal outcome , its illogical

however these acts , have actually locked up some pretty mental people with extreme views.

Also just because you have the right to say something doesnt mean you should say it !
still we should all be entitled to hold our opinions , and of course express them as we see fit
because words cause no physical pain , and so my arguement is how can charges be brought if no injury loss or harm was determined.

Words do not cause physical pain in the body , the only thing that is wounded is the ego !
the laws themselves state that they are also to prevent further action from taking place.
e.g.
As in a person says some bad stuff about jews, and then someone kills a jew because of it
otherwise known as a slippery slope fallacy !
If someone says A,B, or C , the X, Y or Z is bound to happen.
However through determinism we have no idea what can happen hence why we submit to free will be can never be certain, so in this case we err on the side of caution.

However my beef with it is this , what i to prevent a government from determining that political parties are free from criticism as its considered abuse of a political party (which isnt a person , its an organisation and doesnt have feelings )
In the case of the man in Scotland who was taken to court for an A4 poster in his front window , that said "# the tories"
he was taken to court for abuse of the tory party.
Now its easy to say , that i'm using the slippery slope fallacy to say that Government will do X,Y, or Z because of this A,B.C
but we have history to back us up , for given time a government will take as much power and freedom from individuals as nation states advance towards an ever more corporatist society !

I have mixed feelings about , it , I think its dangerous to use subjective states of consciousness as evidence in court to determine a legal ruling !

"emotional abuse" , so buy this ruling I can take the tory party to court for emotional abuse through 10 years of austerity !

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian
I called someone a rude little guttersnipe recently, don't know where the word came from, it just came out. Man serving me at the corner shop, new guy, not a smile, nothing, really surly and unfriendly just chucked my change on the counter, I know we all have bad days but when you are paid to deal with public then you are paid to pretend to be friendly. Rudeness in situations like that actually does annoy me, but it doesn't offend me, just annoys me so I will retaliate.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 07:20 AM
link   
check out some of these !

Scoltand Wolf Whistling cat calling hate crime

Police treat home secratary speech as "hate crime"

women could face charges over anti DUP banner

Man fights conviction over anti tory poster

Man sentenced for shouting at David Cameron

So our society is truly offended so much so we have ushered in legislation which deals with emotional offense !

this is a problem to me , I dont offend many people , but I am sure critical of my government to the point where I'm angry enough just to use expletives, its still valid criticism , its my political opinion , which I legally have a right to!
How then can I be sentenced for my political opinion when we are free to hold a political opinion
oh , its the intent , well my intent in saying "# off tory #s" is clear , I want them to go away forever , disband them ban them as they do nothing bu bring austerity and cuts !

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82
It has been a while since anyone wolf whistled at me but I used to like it and the exchange walking past building sites I'd shout back things like "In your dreams mate, get a magnifying glass so I can find your knob and maybe!" It was laughter mainly, there is a difference if someone is being aggressive but most cat calling made me laugh, now I don't even feel attractive because men are too scared to say anything anymore.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 08:05 AM
link   

It has been a while since anyone wolf whistled at me but I used to like it and the exchange walking past building sites I'd shout back things like "In your dreams mate, get a magnifying glass so I can find your knob and maybe!" It was laughter mainly, there is a difference if someone is being aggressive but most cat calling made me laugh, now I don't even feel attractive because men are too scared to say anything anymore.

It's a double edged sword, some people are ok with their identity and their emotional states and can see it for what it is !
Whilst others are pure affronted and find offense in anything

Some women like it , some find it vile !
is it toxic behaviour , to some yes, to others just harmless interactions between the sexes that have probably happened since time immemorial .

I will say one thing though , in my opinion a woman shouldnt need external stimuli to feel attractive, you should see that in yourself anyway , it depends on how you feel about yourself first ! Self esteem and confidence can make someone feel attractive and that then transfers to others because of that self worth.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I miss the days when men could flirt and tease, there is a man at my local market who calls women love, sweetheart, and darling, he would be crucified in the US, I like it, he is not creepy or anything just natural. I buy from his stall just for the compliments so his customer service strategy definitely works. I worry for my two teen boys, will their world be a place they are too scared to even approach a woman for fear of being offensive or branded a potential rapist.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: SarahConnor

I wonder how those studying human behaviour will see this , I mean how can people be attracted to each other when teens these days have their heads buried in their phones, how are you meant to catch someones eye or anything like that ?

Its horrible to think we cant even have normal human interactions any more without someone taking offense
men cant even stare at women anymore , like I clearly remember the first time I fell in love with a girl at my highschool
she was a singer in the school choir and she was a ballet dancer, and she was beautiful I remember the first time I met her, I just stared slack jawed in amazement, Id never seen anything or anyone as beautiful as her.

If I did that today, id be arrested for being a creep , or reported at least.

We have abanndoned normal human interaction as negative and false, in place of consumer products and reduced social interactions, possibly to prepare us for the advent of human augmentation and our transition to true trans-humanism!

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

Do you believe police should investigate people for liking a poem on twitter?

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Thank you! I didn't think you aimed it at me either, I'm the same with people who get offended over nothing, it is silly, but I don't see these people in real life only on social media. None of my friends are like it though, just people on public pages or twitter. First world problems, I have more to worry about than people saying unkind things lol, I've always told my boys to man up because someone else's opinion means nothing compared to problems other people have in the world, try being a kid in Somalia or somewhere.

kids in somalie dont have time for feelings or opinions ,just how to shoot and fire an AK for your local warlord !

Im the same , we cna worry about peoples feelings once we are all up to par with things like , food , water , shelter, education !

once thats sorted then I'll listen to how you were hurt by someone calling you a name , or mis identifying your gender or whatever ego centric thin you are banging on about
Sorry that is just the way I am , suffering , comes first, ego and identity second

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Well said, sadly.
The world has gone crazy, safe spaces, cry cupboards, a million different genders, I like men to be men and all my friends do, not scared to flirt and say hello. I'm old fashioned, it is a man's job to work for it if he wants me, I will smile and make myself welcoming on the rare times I go out if I like the look of someone. But he has to work for it lol.

The gender pro-noun thing I'm struggling with, if someone looks like a man and dresses like one then I'll assume man so if I get it wrong then tough luck, what did you expect, am I supposed to read minds now. It is getting more difficult to assume though with some people, I've passed a few folk and wonder was that a lesbian 20 something or a late teen boy. It was much easier when I was younger and I don't envy my boys generation at all. They tell me the snowflakes on their instagram or whatever they use are growing in numbers.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: SarahConnor

I have to say that back in my single days i definitely favoured the cheeky smile and offer of a bag of chips approach (as in, will chips buy me sex whilst laughing) - it got me far far further than the charming, wonderful bloke approach favoured by the "youff" today.

Obviously, nowadays that approach would have you put on a register for life!

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian
Do you fancy a battered sausage? That has made me laugh before! Even cheesy chat up lines, if they make me laugh then we are good to go. Girls of today are too sensitive, attraction is a natural human emotion, even just flirting is good fun, just don't lead a man on, and never accept a drink unless you want to spend time with him. I have friends who used to do that, never pay a penny while out just use guys for drinks, that is a dangerous game.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn Hey, thanks for your post now I know what that phrase means.

We have far to many sensitive people who need to get thicker skin. just because someone hates you or what you do, that person has not hurt you with their opinion. Save crimes for actual damage. Hurt feelings are the fault of the feeler.

There is so very much about life we cannot control, but we CAN control our own feelings. Do not let other people use you in that manner. This is from those old sayings that were popular long time ago. Sticks and stones thing.

Why have we let hate thought become a crime?

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: justdust

not enough people watching star trek !

we need to learn to deal with our emotions better , and not assign to them as quickly

after all we are all just consciousness inside a meat sack really

does consciousness have a gender or an identity , not as far as I am aware, its the fact we all want to feel as individuals so people have to identify to fit in ! and we have just taken it too far with identity .

Im all in favour of beiung progressive , but not when we start to cause others to suffer just for having or holding an opinion , opinions change like the wind , so how can you punish someone for expressing a thought , right or wrong ! if its opinion its subjective
words cant cause physical pain so there is no legal issue in my mind !
Instead of hanging people out to dry as anti social , anti anything , why not just take them aside and say hey look the rest of the world is here you are stuck with your ignorant ideals in the past , learn some things about that which you hate and see how you feel then
acts however are what matter

In any case I still thing we are jumping the gun , lets sort the dying , the infirm, the poor out first then we can sort out how you deal with your emotions , I mean its only just recently that men are being told we can deal with our emotions as for generations we have been told to suppress them and just get on with the task at hand !

So if we can wait generations then so can everyone else

edit on 31-1-2019 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Can't say I'm too fond of that law. I'm disabled myself (epilepsy, brain injury, terminator arm) but have never really seen myself that way (plus brain injury means I'm pretty forgetful
). I have a very dark sense of humour and 'coping mechanism' is to take the piss out of my disability and have others do likewise, it makes me feel normal. It's part of who I am, can't change it so may as well see the funny side - I wouldn't even have the capacity to get offended or angry at anything because five minutes later I wouldn't be able to remember what I was supposed to be angry/offended by and get on with life.

I wouldn't treat someone that way without getting to know them first but prior to an accident I was a University disability support worker and many students and lecturers had similar views. We have bigger # to deal with than fussing over people potentially causing offence and in the UK everyone takes the piss out of everyone.

Plus not sure what this part means : 'You do not need to be a member of a minority community to be a victim of hate crime. The law is quite clear that the identity of the victim is irrelevant as to whether something is a hate crime or not.' - Am I missing something obvious here or is this part so vague it means people can take offence on behalf of other people and complain as that sounds bloody patronising to me. I would be seriously pissed off if someone put in a complaint about something on my behalf.

Does it mean I can get arrested if I go out with my mates and people overhear me calling myself a #ing cripple/spacker or can I claim diminished responsibility under the pretence my disability precludes me from paying attention to such bull# and our humour is so dark that any judge or 'sound, moral person' would think they were taking advantage of me, when it's me egging them on.

The 'emotional abuse' part is an accident waiting to happen: The nature of my brain injury and epilepsy means that a week after a seizure (post ictal) the electrical activity in the brain is so disjointed even the most mild mannered helpful doctor or family member feels like they're drilling into my skull and interpret everything negatively for a couple of days until it returns to normal.

ETA: I'm also a stubborn # so when someone tells me I'll never do X, Y, Z out of malice; I do it anyway just to prove them wrong/rub it in their face. It gives me fight and strength, while Drs and therapists saying 'aww diddums' and recommending navel gazing saps the ife out of me.
edit on 31-1-2019 by bastion because: (no reason given)

ETA: My disability isn't visible, I just may look drunk or a bit of a twat post seizure, plenty of people including parents and Drs have thought I was drunk or on drugs (slurred speech, little balance, won't have washed or shaved for days due to drowning/cutting risk mid seizure). I don't blame anyone for assuming it, isn't the nicest feeling in the world but they shouldn't get a criminal record or be fired for following common sense/public safety checks.
edit on 31-1-2019 by bastion because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join