It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are France's yellow vest protests so white?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

So I can go to Japan and call myself Japanese? I'm sure some nerds love that

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: bloodymarvelous

originally posted by: ScepticScot

originally posted by: AtlasHawk

So someone born in France, lives in France their whole lives and holds French citizenship and a French passport isn't French unless they are white.

That's right. You can call yourself a French Citizen but you aren't a Native French and that is a major difference.

Your own heritage has absolutely no bearing on anything If you think nationality is determined by skin colour.

The nationality is determined by the native birth right of where they belonged and who founded the nation. And its culture.

If you bring in lets say the whole of Africa into France and they become citizens they still wont be French but African. Just look at the French soccer team.

How many Native French? oh thats right just one.

France is a a country not a genetic inheritance. The idea of being 'Native French' is pretty much a meaningless concept.

Technically.... the Franks were originally a Germanic tribe whose homeland came to be known as "France".

Later on, after the start of the colonial era, once they started expanding, the decision was made to make the existing people in those territories into full citizens. (Which made ethnic status meaningless.)

So modern France still is based largely on place of birth.

Although, I'm told that anyone from anywhere can join the foreign legion, and after a long enough period of service they will become full citizens. (It's odd that more people fleeing violence in the middle East don't simply choose that option, if they really want to contribute to their new homeland.)

Culture is not determined by skin colour or place of birth.

It is determined by upbringing, which in turn is determined by who raised you as a child, and where.

If you define it any more loosely than that, you might as well just abolish the word from your language.

Yes upbringing is one of the major determinants of culture (however that is not confined in or to.national borders.)

However that is my point, how someone is raised is not determined by skin colour.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

So I can go to Japan and call myself Japanese? I'm sure some nerds love that

You can call yourself whatever you want but that isn't really relevant to the topic.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join