It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Covington Student's Lawyer Lists Members of Media/Hollywood Who Will Be Sued

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 05:21 PM
link   
The thing is, in many locations it is very difficult to prevail in a slander/libel lawsuit. Otherwise people wouldn’t be as loose with their lips.
a reply to: diggindirt

edit on 28-1-2019 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

injury.findlaw.com...

Higher Burdens for Defamation: Public Officials and Figures Our government places a high priority on the public being allowed to speak their mind about elected officials as well as other public figures. People in the public eye get less protection from defamatory statements and face a higher burden when attempting to win a defamation lawsuit. When an official is criticized in a false and injurious way for something that relates to their behavior in office, the official must prove all of the above elements associated with normal defamation, and must also show that the statement was made with "actual malice." "Actual malice" was defined in a Supreme Court case decided in 1988, Hustler v. Falwell. In that case, the court held that certain statements that would otherwise be defamatory were protected by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution. This meant that public officials could only win a defamation suit when the statement that was made wasn't an honest mistake and was in fact published with the actual intent to harm the public figure. Actual malice only occurs when the person making the statement knew the statement was not true at the time the statement was made, or had reckless disregard for whether it was true or not. For other people that are in the public eye, such as celebrities, they too must prove that the defamatory statements were made with actual malice.
so for some the malice part may be easier then others to prove ,and he suffered loss as his school was shut down thus delaying his education and a good deal of the statements against him by the media have been false and some have corrected while others have not.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: shawmanfromny

White kids show up to an event wearing HATE symbols what did they expect?

Would it have been better if it was non-white kids?

edit on 28-1-2019 by Teikiatsu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Any lawsuit will most probably go nowhere.

Want to know why?

Judges are political and there are plenty of Democratic justices that will be happy to dismiss any suits and kill them on appeal.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Well that’s another piece from my understanding. Someone has to be able to demonstrate material impact.

a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Who said its a "hate symbol?"

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 05:52 PM
link   
If they can win then the next step could be to sue the social media sites that allowed them the platform.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14
The thing is----those locations need to corrected. There is no need to "Make new laws or amendments" since there are already laws there. But politicians love this crap because it lets them posture.

Also, as pointed out in the article, the Commonwealth of Kentucky has stricter standards than federal law. From personal experience, I can tell you that newspapers will respond in less than 48 hours if you send notification to sue for libel---in some cases just having your attorney contact them with the relevant facts works like magic. Of course, it helps to hire an attorney who has tried such cases. Looks like the families were smart in that regard.

These kids and their parents are not public figures nor elected officials.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: headorheart
Such a circus.

I'm glad they gave people a 24 hours window.

I am not happy 'adults' think threating violence via social media is even somewhat acceptable.

I hate our sue happy culture.

I hate that this is what we are teaching our youth to do.

I don't think the school nor the children are 100% innocent in this.

under normal circumstances, I'd agree with you. Suing for the sake of the benjamins, is idiotic and causes more damage then it fixes. But like with the Duke LaCrosse players, this needs to stop and a strong punishment might be just the ticket. This poor kid was guilty of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, wearing the wrong hat. Who would have thought wearing a hat supporting your nation in the #ing nations capital would be a bad thing? Yea, we are on the right path.............

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Breakthestreak

a reply to: Breakthestreak

Dont you get it? The "high-info" they talk about is literally their beloved propaganda; the4 amount of it they've allowed to absolutely hardwire their brains (thus controlling their minds). Which every ideologue ever loves their propaganda but this idea of calling it "high-info" is some serious 21 Century BS.

I agree. The easily manipulated have allowed the media to hardwire their low-info brains into believing that it’s somehow ‘hateful’ to support anything that’s not extreme far-left fascism.

Propaganda is the media telling the low-iq morons that MAGA is somehow related to ‘hate’.

And without even opening their eyes the easily-manipulated NPC drones just blindly believe the obviously-false propaganda spun to them.

High info indeed

Triggered (you know who)? What a surprise.
edit on 28 1 2019 by Breakthestreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan
I love how the media gave a pass to the black group that was being blatantly racist and homophobic, but called the white kids racist because they wore hats associated with Donald Trump.

That said far more about the media than it did about the Covington kids.

Our so-called media definitely needs to be hauled into court to answer for their actions.

Jim Carrey, Kathy Griffith, and perhaps a few others need to be institutionalized.

I hope the "MAGA kids into the woodchipper" Hollywood producer is on the list. I bet he's got some pretty deep pockets. I hope they bankrupt that SOB.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 08:57 PM
link   

a reply to: Gothmog

Who said anything about hats?

I was talking about their white skin!

One does not "wear" skin as one cannot put on or take off at will

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Put enough dish soap on it and it comes off down to the 1st skin layer (trust me on this). At that point they could have dyed it a certain color (anything but white) and then it'd be tantamount to the literal manifestation of purity and love and peace.

True story.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Who gets to decide if its a hate symbol? "Make America Great Again" by itself means nothing more then what it says, putting it on a red hat doesn't do much more. You can't just decide something is a symbol of hate simply because you don't like the candidate that ran for President. No one considered him a racist when he was a Democrat, heck even Bill and Hilary went to his wedding and took his contributions like clock work without complaint. I'm sorry your warped views doesn't make it my reality nor everyone else. Obama used the phrase "Make American Great Again" when he was president. Stating innocent children getting abused and their life threatened because they support our President of the United States is justified makes you look like the villain with no moral compass. Step back for a second and remove the hate you have for this man and look at this situation with the children with a rational mind to get a better understanding of the seriousness of it and how wrong it was. Don't get me wrong more then likely you said it in jest and was using sarcasim to get your point across, but somehow I feel that the left has gone so radical that a statement like that feels natural and normal for them, thus my reply is that person who might think this way and not you if you said in sarcasm.
edit on 28-1-2019 by PaladinRoden because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Will be... might be... are being sued.

Which is it?

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 10:11 PM
link   

What hate symbols?

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 10:11 PM
link   

I was actually looking at black Panther garb from this perspective.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Except their actions belie that gross assumption. In fact, they contradict it.

Maybe you mean the 2 other idiot parties, the racist Jews and Chief BullSh*t.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

It's a process. They are proceeding...the warning...the notice....negotiations....bringing actual suit is the last step in that process. This firm has been to a rodeo or two. I expect they are reviewing settlement offers right now. If they settle now with a good chunk of change, in a month it will have all gone away. MSM will make sure of it.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Understood. Since I heard last Wednesday that the attorneys were giving the potential lawsuit recipients 48 hours to apologize, or be sued, I was wondering if the attorney's were still threatening, or had followed through on that promise.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join