It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teachers need a raise!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Just blow it out your ass!

I have a Facebook friend from highschool who is a teacher. His wife is also a teacher.

He constantly posts crap about teachers on Facebook like how they are underpaid.

Well today I shot back.
School was canceled today because of weather and the kids get what's called e learning meaning they get assignments electronically.

Well today as I was drinking my coffee at the table while I was scrolling through Facebook looking at pictures of friends and family. Really that's the best part of Facebook, keeping in touch with people you otherwise would lose contact with.

Anyway, I came across his post.
Pay teachers more, boo hoo.

I had received a text only a few minutes before that from my wife telling me she made it to work safely in the snow and ice.

I asked this guy if he and his wife had made it to work safely today.
He of course replied that they didnt have to go to work today. I told him that my wife still had to go to work.
Then I asked him if they needed to make up the time like the rest of the working world and I still haven't gotten a response.

Look, teaching sucks. I'd kill the little turds.
It takes a certain mindset to handle the job.

But dont bitch to me about your paycheck when you went to college for 4 years to get a job you thought didnt pay enough.

My wife works 241 days a year if you take out weekends and 4 weeks vacation
Teachers here in Indiana work around 190 days.
They have already had 7 days off of that due to weather.
They also have some of the best insurance around and a decent pension plan.

I have no clue about other states but here in northern indiana they have it pretty damn good.

So just stick it buddy!

Rant over,, ,

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Lol. 80k in student debt for a 30k a year job. Sounds good to me.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   

I agree with you, while teachers do not make much, they entered their chosen profession with eyes wide open. Basically, they chose to live an impoverished life. Don't get me wrong, I see how important the education of our children are. But this has never changed, teachers have always been underpaid and under appreciated. So, my take is, either quit and get another job, if you can or just take your licks and your summers off and keep making your wage that does not cover your daily expenses...

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   
At the same time, in many struggling districts with struggling kids, meeting your mandate to catch kids up and be impactful can translate to 70 hour work weeks. I know. I was a middle school teacher. To this day the hardest job I’ve ever had.

It is a well known issue in public policy and education that there isn’t enough pay, prestige, and support in the US education system to attract and retain highly intelligent and dedicated people. There’s a brain drain.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 08:58 AM
link   
But they aren’t undersupported in a lot of developed countries, and especially not some of the highest performing ones such as in Scandinavia.

Education leaders know this needs to change in the US. It’s discussed regularly, and various orgs have been trying to address it.

Just saying “well too bad and it can’t be addressed” ignores the real human resources involved.
a reply to: Joefoster

edit on 28-1-2019 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Those who can, do.

Those who can't, teach.

-Somebody said it once, might have been a guy. Probably was. Chicks? They talk too much.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Your right, I mean its only our future that is at stake. Why would anyone want to be a teacher? They are only the ones who help form our kids, and teach them so they can succeed at life. Why pay them more? Class sizes are now well over 30 kids, and school supplies often teachers have to buy themselves.

At 30 kids per class at 6 periods per day, that teacher is only responsible for teaching 180 children per day. I say pay them minimum wage. Who cares if they have to bring tests, and essays home to grade.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
-Somebody said it once, might have been a guy. Probably was. Chicks? They talk too much.

Pretty sure it was Confucius Aristotle.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: iplay1up2

You can double their pay and they won't do a better job of teaching kids.
I can only speak of the teachers in my local schools.
They drive nice cars, they have nice homes.
They dont live in poverty.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 09:12 AM
link   
They wont nag anymore when the machines start educating the kids.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 09:20 AM
link   

This is from the OPS state. It seems pretty bleak in Indiana for teachers.

In Indiana, teacher pay has suffered the biggest inflation-adjusted drop since the 1999-2000 school year, according to the Department of Education: Teachers now earn almost 16 percent less than they did two decades ago.

The teacher shortage in Indiana is real. According to 2015 data from the Indiana Commission for Higher Education, enrollment in teaching programs and those graduating with teaching degrees declined 37 percent from 2004 through 2014.

www.nwitimes.com...

Sheesh. Anyway, I really do get what you are saying about summers off and things of that nature. The Starting salary for most teachers is just $24,000.00, that is a little money, for all that teaching can demand. Also we NEED teachers who care, and want to help these kids.
edit on 28-1-2019 by iplay1up2 because: forgot link

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Indiana teachers average starting salary is $32,500.
They get a raise every year.
Great insurance too.

And America spends a great deal on education.

www.google.com...

www.cbsnews.com...

The education system needs an overhaul, totally agree.

This one says elementary school teachers average about $54k.

www1.salary.com...
edit on 28-1-2019 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24

Lol. 80k in student debt for a 30k a year job. Sounds good to me.

30k may sound like a lot, but it doesn't matter what you make. It doesn't matter what you pay in taxes. What does matter is the purchasing power of your take home pay. If people in this country were not so math illiterate then maybe they would not hate-on teachers so much for asking for pay raises.

I think teachers need to respected and paid more.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

$32k was the average starting salary.
$54 was the average salary.

That doesn't include insurance coverage which I know is excellent.
Again, this is local.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   
This is one mid size school system in our district.
About 750 high school students.

www.kpcnews.com...

This is the largest school in the county.
About 1100 high school students.

www.google.com...://www.dekalbschoolsga.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/compensation-teacher-salary-schedule-2 017.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiVlP7v6JDgAhUNmuAKHagBCYcQFjABegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw2VR6smNseLbNHXEYps7gab

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Teachers who have been teaching for say twenty years are paid too much and when they retire they get a forty grand pension. The new teachers coming in are not getting paid that great, not a living wage till they work at least five years full time. The thing is they often start part time and do not get benefits nor does it boost their pay by longlivity.

I think the system is all messed up, the older teachers do not need twice the pay of the teachers who have been there a year teaching. This is the problem. I can see a reduced wage for about one year, then boost the salary up to say thirty five grand instead of being at around thirty two thousand. We do live in the Upper Peninsula and our wages here are lower overall, but the teachers like everyone are experiencing higher copays on insurance and teachers used to buy some stuff for their classes as teaching aids but cannot afford to do that anymore. The starting teachers also have to repay their college loans, which causes them to live on less.

I do not think that a school teacher with twenty years in and a good pension should make more than a construction worker. but I do believe the new teachers need some extra so they can survive. For years the teachers have been boosting the wages and benefits for the tenure teachers at the expense of the new ones coming in. A really smart young teacher is going to learn fast that they will have to work for years before they can make a living and leave the profession to work somewhere that pays better. Some of the ones left, they may not be the wisest of people, do you really want an unwise person teaching your kids.

I think that this problem needs to be addressed, the older teachers are not retiring, they make over sixty grand a year around here and going down to forty for retirement doesn't sound lucrative because the longer they work the higher their pension payment goes. It is cash strapping schools with this inequity.

Here, the teachers salaries are based on cost of living costs of the area, down state their wages are higher but also their expenses to live. So, our figures might look low to people downstate, but it is different down there. We live in an area where there are more deer than people and we have lots of bussing costs, the county is big. Schools do not get as much for student here so they cannot pay as well, taking into consideration bus, heating, and snow removal costs are higher.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

You can double their pay and they won't do a better job of teaching kids.
I can only speak of the teachers in my local schools.
They drive nice cars, they have nice homes.
They dont live in poverty.

Some are pretty close to poverty. Maybe not where you live, but in a lot of places it's true. I taught for years, so I'm not speaking blindly.

I'd argue that doubling the pay of teachers would attract more qualified teachers. Why start out at 32k teaching when I can start out at 80k being an investment analyst (just a random example)? If you bring that number closer, then you'll attract a lot of higher quality teachers.

The best way I can explain it (not my idea, but paraphrasing):
The going rate for a babysitter is, let's say, $12/hour. That's for 1, maybe 2 kids, and they'll usually be asleep for most of the shift. Feed them, make sure they don't die, and make sure they sleep. $12 per hour seems reasonable.
Now, look at teachers. Let's pay them $12 per hour per kid.
My largest class was 32 students.
32 x 12 = $384 per hour
384 x 8 = $3072 per day (8 hour work day)
$3072 x 5 = $15,360 per week (5 work days per week)
15,360 x 4 = $61,440 per month (4 weeks per month)
61,440 x 9 = $552,960 (9 month work year)

That's what teachers would be paid if they were ONLY paid the same going rate per child as a babysitter. But on top of making sure the kids stay alive, they have to get them to want to learn boring things, which can be incredibly difficult, and do so with an incredibly small budget.

I'm obviously not saying teachers need half a mill every year (no one does), but teachers are woefully underpaid and that needs to be fixed if we want to catch up to the steadily-rising number of countries that are passing us in terms of student performance.
Look at the countries who are inarguably outperforming the US in terms of school, and the teachers are respected the same as doctors, and are paid as such.

"But doctors/engineers/whatever have harder jobs!!" Waah. If it weren't for teachers, there would be no doctors/engineers/whatever.

Again, I'm not arguing that a teacher should be paid the same as a surgeon. But, starting, even average, teachers salaries are insanely low.

A concrete example, if my babysitting idea doesn't sit well:

San Francisco public schools start teachers with zero experience at $57,679. That sounds like a good salary, until you consider the cost of living.
If someone in SF wants to use the 50-30-20 budgeting rule, that person would need to earn $110,357 in order to follow that (common sense) budgeting rule.
ETA: www.gobankingrates.com...

Teachers are most definitely not paid what they're worth.
edit on 28-1-2019 by narrator because: eta

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 10:11 AM
link   

My mother works at a middle school, she’s not a teacher but she used to work in the administration and now works in the library. She has told me before about how teachers talk about their job, they complain about dealing with kids and how much they get paid all the time. Funny thing is when she walks to her car she notices something strange about the parking lot, it’s all filled with new cars.

I get it, it would be great to get paid more, but these teachers spent 4 years pursuing their degree. All the while being completely aware of the salary and responsibility of a teacher. Then as soon as they start the job they just complain to everyone around them.

If you wanted more money you could have pursued a different career. I don’t understand why I’m soposed to feel sorry for you for choices you made of your own free will.

Not to mention everyone in the school district gets 3 months off a year, every holiday off, like 3 weeks off around Christmas and a whole week in the spring just for the heck of it. Yeah sounds horrible.
edit on 28-1-2019 by Quantumgamer1776 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: narrator

If you will notice my rant is with local teachers.
I have not said anything about teachers in general around the country.

And what babysitter has 30 kids to take care of?
What teacher changes diapers?
What babysitter only works 185 days?
Hows the insurance and pension plan for those babysitters?

I totally agree that teachers should be paid well.
No problem with that.

We have a Christian school here and they have 95% passing student score on the istep test.

Public schools are averaging 55% on the same test.

Istep is a math and English standards test given by the state.

The private school doesnt pay as well as the public schools but have better results.

There are a lot of factors leading to this result.
More than just pay scale.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: narrator

If you will notice my rant is with local teachers.
I have not said anything about teachers in general around the country.

And what babysitter has 30 kids to take care of?
What teacher changes diapers?
What babysitter only works 185 days?
Hows the insurance and pension plan for those babysitters?

I totally agree that teachers should be paid well.
No problem with that.

We have a Christian school here and they have 95% passing student score on the istep test.

Public schools are averaging 55% on the same test.

Istep is a math and English standards test given by the state.

The private school doesnt pay as well as the public schools but have better results.

There are a lot of factors leading to this result.
More than just pay scale.

Well, most of your rant is about you/your wife having to work when teachers don't. I can easily flip your rant and say "if you didn't want to work when the weather's crappy, then you shouldn't have signed up for your career, get a job that has bad weather days built into the schedule!"

Locally (Indiana-ish, right?), I'm sure the teachers are paid enough to live comfortably. I'm from Ohio and did my student teaching there, and the teachers in my school were paid well above average for where they live.
My point was, teachers most definitely DO need a raise, and a big one. Your little neck of the woods is not indicative of the entire country, and in some areas teachers are barely above the poverty line.

I got the same argument when I was a teacher in the Denver area. "What do you mean you can't go out for beers for the 3rd night this week? Just get a better paying job, why'd you go into teaching knowing that you won't be paid much?" It's really insulting. I went into teaching because it's a calling, working with children is what I feel like I need to do with my life. People sacrifice a comfortable living to do just that, and then people complain to them and make them feel like they aren't paid enough to complain about the cost of living. At what salary point is one allowed to complain about how freakin' expensive the US is? If anything, people that are paid less have more of a right than people that make significantly more than teachers.

Sorry, it's just a sore spot with me. No ill will intended, and I'm glad that teachers in your area are paid well. However, that is most definitely not the story nationwide, and teachers need a raise.

ETA: that's my entire point about the babysitting, teaching is HARDER than babysitting, and yet they're paid less than a teenager listening to a kid sleep over a baby monitor.
There are a lot of teachers that change diapers on a daily basis. Special needs, preschool, even some kindergarten teachers do that regularly. Teachers do everything that a babysitter does, and more, but are paid less on a per-kid basis.
edit on 28-1-2019 by narrator because: ETA

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join