It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nato members increase defence spending by $100 Billion'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
a reply to: sapien82

Poverty is 15k a year or less. Most of Africa lives off a buck a day. So there is poor ...and impoverished.

All relative though. 15k a year could give you a decent life in much of Africa.

15k a year would give you a poor life in the Uk / US.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Poverty is 15k a year or less. Most of Africa lives off a buck a day. So there is poor ...and impoverished.
Yes. I buy clothes from charity shops and cook food with ingredients. I only have freeview TV and put a jumper before turning the heating on. My twin boys share a bedroom and clothes.
We fall into that silly 'poverty' label but we are not poor, life is amazing, we just haven't got all the shiny things that the TV tells us we should have.
I'll be having an operation soon to fix me, and then I shall go back to work, minimum wage in a care home wiping peoples bums. I'll be no richer, probably worse off having to pay for dentist and prescriptions and other stuff, but poverty? Give me a break, poverty is hungry bellies and kids wearing rags.
I hate the use of the term poverty in Britain, and people use it way too loosely.

I also support British defence spending. Keeps people like Argentinians away from our lands and resources.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

Well duh. But there is poor and in poverty. Big difference.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   
The point is this in 50 years if no one has been invaded in nato and we continue spending 2% or whatever it is of our GDP , we will stockpile and stockpile weapons and bombs that never get used all the while military industrial types cash in on our taxes , whilst everyone could benefit from that 100 billion especially when our nation is under austerity !

it's a #ing joke , NATO created out of fear of soviet dominance .

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Well you proved your point right there. It's called a deterrent. Ask Crimea...or Yemen about it. Besides...lots of peeps are employed making things to kill bad guys. £9 billion worth last year.

www.gov.uk...

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 11:50 AM
link   

yeah what would you do if you saw your huge neighbor invading small nations one after another and adding them to their union, finland, lithuania, poland, romania, estonia, latvia, etc. the Soviet union clearly was intent on conquering Europe while they were weak, NATO saved Europe's ass.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Well d'uh back at you. Of course there is a difference but you can't try to compare western poverty to Africa. For starters, anyone earning a dollar a day in the west is actually a victim of modern day slavery.

The reality is that in the west there is still poverty and also being poor - and there is a distinction between the 2.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
The point is this in 50 years if no one has been invaded in nato

Proof that mutual defence works then, eh? The Russians remain a belligerent presence (see Georgia and Ukraine) and still covet the Baltic States which they invaded and occupied for decades. Plus, all being in the same club is just a good thing.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Lol. Anyway....yes...I can. Poor means you have money for essentials. Poverty means you have nada, zero. You are scraping through trash heaps looking for something to sell. Nobody is saying there was s no poverty in the west...BUT being poor does not mean you are in poverty.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 12:43 PM
link   

I'm on means tested Employment Support Allowance, the lowest rate of welfare benefit, I assume my two boys are classed as children living in poverty. Absolutely ridiculous statistics, the welfare system is generous if you have children, I manage just fine and I'm grateful to the tax payers who have helped me through difficult times.
Poverty is starving children wearing rags, and I don't know any kids like that unless their parents are spending all their money on drink or drugs, but that would be child neglect.
My boys eat well, maybe don't have the best Adidas trainers but have nice clothes, it is amazing what you can find in charity shops. I even have internet to type this, poverty is totally wrong to describe our situation even though the government and people use that term.
I am poor, but life is great, just we have less shiny things than other people.

I would not divert defence spending to welfare benefits, even though I am living on them right now, it is enough to cover our needs, and I want our nation to be safe from attack.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: SarahConnor

And I don't care one bit that my taxes go to somebody that needs it. Just seen a stat that 60% of Americans don't have 400 in the bank. So peeps need a social safety net. Otherwise they end up on the street doing crime.

But yeah...other than a homeless person...I don't see actual poverty in the UK.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 01:02 PM
link   

You dont need to be in a special defense club to look after each other , or keep supporting the military industrial complex , NATO is just a consolidation of power and wealth for those who are in charge , their buddies in corporate get tax breaks and make # tonnes of cash at the expense of the tax payer , telling us its good for our "defense" in case mr bad country attacks us , those in power continue to receive campaign support !

deterrant is everyone standing together without having to spend billions to continue supporting it !
We can all be allies without the need to support death and destruction.

great for the economy , you proved my point , there is profit in death and suffering , thats whats wrong with the planet NATO is just a way for people to make more money at the expense of suffering , and also keeps people living in fear of outside aggression!

Corporations and government dont care, they will happily cash in on the suffering of others!

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

they are already in the same club , the same club we arent , they make money at our expense !

how has NATO directly benefited you ?

all NATO has done is syphon money which could have been better spent on saving lives than building up ways in which to take them!

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I'll be paying tax again soon after surgery, I hate being off work, even though I am actually better off on benefits than when I go back to wiping old people's bums again in the care home. Work is more than money, it is comradery and meeting people, self respect paying my way in life. This 4 million kids in Britain being in poverty is simply ridiculous. If being on benefits like I am is poverty then it is pretty good.

Defence of our nation is way more important than me being able to buy a new dress or get my nails done in town.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: SarahConnor

The proper sociological terms for what you talking about are (the difference between) absolute poverty and relative poverty.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 01:27 PM
link   

But yeah...other than a homeless person...I don't see actual poverty in the UK.

There is poverty in the UK. People don't die of malnutrition, but they do fade away. The biggest population of people in poverty is not the stereotyped iPhone-wielding, cigarette-smoking single mother who sucks on the teat of the Welfare State, but the elderly. Most of the "poverty yapping" politicians and campaigners focus on supporting/pillorying the section of the community who should be able to help themselves, but choose not to. They conspire to neglect the elderly because they don't make good headlines. If Glenfell was an old people's home do you really think there would have been such a fuss?

Rant over. Sorry, beginning to stray off-topic.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Sound like you are describing the EU.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Lol. Anyway....yes...I can. Poor means you have money for essentials. Poverty means you have nada, zero. You are scraping through trash heaps looking for something to sell. Nobody is saying there was s no poverty in the west...BUT being poor does not mean you are in poverty.

Ok. Possibly the duh was appropriate as i agree with your statement so think i may have misinterperated your previous couple of posts.

Duh.

There you go, for extra emphasis.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Dumb question here - why does the NATO defense budget require an additional $100 billion? Is there a world war coming this year?

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

well its a rule that they need to spend something like 2% or more of the members GDP , I think a few of the countries in NATO werent following up on their commitments and Trump has encouraged them all to spend the extra to bring them up to speed I think!

But yes , of course a war is coming , Venezuela or Syria , either one is perfect for it !
Im thinking Venezuela since they have some oil eh and lots of mineral deposits
Venezuela: Mining , Minerals & Fuel resources

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join