It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Nears Deal With Taliban to End 17-Year Afghanistan War

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Didn't see that coming.

Negotiators for the United States agreed to a draft peace deal with the Taliban on Jan. 26, according to Taliban officials, drawing closer than ever to ending the U.S.’s longest war. The deal, which isn’t official until agreed to by both sides, calls for the withdrawal of foreign troops from Afghanistan in 18 months, in exchange for a ceasefire from the Taliban, among other items. Taliban sources provided the draft pact to Reuters.

According to the Taliban sources, the hard-line Islamic group gave assurances that Afghanistan won’t be allowed to be used by al-Qaeda and ISIS terrorists to attack the United States and its allies–a key early demand by Washington. They said the deal included a ceasefire provision but they had yet to confirm a timeline and would only open talks with Afghan representatives once a truce was implemented.

This is good news however you look at it.

WHo should get credit for this??
edit on 27-1-2019 by Aallanon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Aallanon

Been there long enough, likely have assets in place just in case. Time to bring em home. Great news.

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Well, if they're really withdrawing, may as well take up the Taliban on a truce or peace deal instead of leaving the nation at war and the Government being outed, which may happen anyways in the future but..

..I have a feeling these talks have been going on a long time, and the U.S. finally has a reason to accept.

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 06:37 PM
link   
yeah ok

Good luck trying to make a deal with TERRORISTS, the stupidity to think they would even actually uphold this is ridiculous.

They literally JUST had an incident the last few days there where people were blown up.

You dont negotiate with terrorists, nor a terrorist organization, this is stupid.

That being said yes I think we should pull it and bring ALL of our men and women home, but whoever thinks yourcan negotiate with an ideology that thinks you should die if you dont believe their religion is a complete idiot.
edit on 27-1-2019 by SailorJerry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Well I think we all should be congratulating President Obama......I'm sure he will try to claim credit.

We achieved our goal of destroying AL Queda in Afghanistan a year into this war, it's time we end this endless war. If the Taliban don't keep their word, we can always bomb them back into the stone age....oh wait, the are still in the stone age. We will figure it out if they break thir word.

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: SailorJerry
yeah ok

Good luck trying to make a deal with TERRORISTS, the stupidity to think they would even actually uphold this is ridiculous.

They literally JUST had an incident the last few days there where people were blown up.

You dont negotiate with terrorists, nor a terrorist organization, this is stupid.

That being said yes I think we should pull it and bring ALL of our men and women home, but whoever thinks yourcan negotiate with an ideology that thinks you should die if you dont believe their religion is a complete idiot.

America is no stranger to negotiating with the Taliban...they helped create it...

www.mtholyoke.edu...
edit on 27/1/2019 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Surprised the CIA is willing to give up their opium production.

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 06:50 PM
link   

If we're not there to defeat and kill an enemy, then we should leave.

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: SailorJerry

yeah ok

Or we could stay there forever.

I like the negotiation.

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Um... in the 80's we were the ones that trained them.

Then when the USSR collapsed, we just stopped paying them.

We made them.

As good a case as any for noninterventionism, I would say.

Let's get out of there.

edit on 27-1-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Great news!!

WHo should get credit for this??

The people doing the ACTUAL negotiating.

But who is that?
edit on 27-1-2019 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

They don't need it, they got fentanyl.

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
Surprised the CIA is willing to give up their opium production.

My Dad was over there as was I... he calls the CIA the Co.caine Importers Association.

edit on 27-1-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: Ohanka

They don't need it, they got fentanyl.

When the UN brought up just burning the poppy fields, guess which country veto'd it?

The USA.

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I admit I didn't see this coming either, but it's good news. Let the drug lords defend their own damn poppy fields.

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

yeah ok

Or we could stay there forever.

I like the negotiation.

You should probably read his whole post........ He said he's glad their coming home......

Why do people insist on reading three lines and then responding w no context......

Also as someone who has spent several tours myself there, he's right...... Thinking you're going to negotiate w murderers and religious zealots is idiocy........

We don't need a damn negotiation to pull out.... They aren't going to uphold it anyway.......

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

Um... in the 80's we were the ones that trained them.

Then when the USSR collapsed, we just stopped paying them.

We made them.

As good a case as any for noninterventionism, I would say.

Let's get out of there.

No..... Their religious extremism was there well before, we didn't do that..... Yes we armed and trained them as a resistance force, but their zealotry is all their own..........

There has bee conflict in that area w tribalism and religious extremism long before the US was even a country.....

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   
This is wonderful news. Let’s get out of that entire region and let these people determine their own destiny. Let’s bring our resources home and use the trillions we save to build a wall.

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

I read the whole post, I was just being snark to the beginning.

You know a pullout isn't going to be immediate, so why not at least try and make it safer for the transition out?

I don't expect anyone to change their ways over there....

But make a negotiation like "make sure our remaining troops don't get attacked or we unleash Hella drones".

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Never in a million years as they say....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join