It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is how to play cricket

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Good day chaps! today i'm presenting a tutorial on how to play the gentlemens' game, cricket. However I must warn you there will be some unsavory words spoken, and you may expel liquid from your nostrils in a deluge. The footage shall begin anon.

Okay i'm dropping the facade, the true story of this video game is fascinating-the Publisher had to publicly apologize and refund costumers. So Americans-please do not mock the game, not all the players can teleport.

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I never understood the game of Cricket (at all)...

...but now it makes perfect sense!!

The only criticism I have of the video is, it needs to be about two weeks longer

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   
They should really change the name of this game.

It should really be called..."WOT THE ACTUAL F# ARE THEY DOING???'

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Now they need to do one for the gentlemens' game, Rugby.

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk
It's baseball with two bases in a line instead of more bases in a circle.
One reason for the higher scoring rate.

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I never understood Cricket.

And I still don't.

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

But, but...baseball doesn't have milk bottles behind home plate.

What are they for?

And, a baseball game lasts a long time, but it's usually over in a day! A Cricket game goes on for like a month.

I was watching a Cricket game in a pub one night. Came in the same pub about 3 days later and it was on again. I thought it was a rerun of the game I saw a couple nights before...but it wasn't. It was still the same game. It does end, right?

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Cricket is evil, crickets drove the American diplomats in Cuba crazy.

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 02:21 PM
link   

just to rock your boat a little bit
the first international game of cricket took place between an American team and a Canadian team
some 10s of years before your very un-civil civil war
oh and it would appear that baseball was first played on
you'll love this
a cricket pitch

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: pronto

Well, they're all dead now...and they didn't bother telling any of the rest of us how the darn game was played.

So we invented a sport where everyone stands around and scratches their nards for 7-8 hours. It's called baseball. Then we invented a game where grown men grab each other's nuts and holler political protest slogans at one another. It's called football.

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
But, but...baseball doesn't have milk bottles behind home plate. What are they for?

They're instead of the catcher's hands. The batsman is out if they get knocked down.

And, a baseball game lasts a long time, but it's usually over in a day! A Cricket game goes on for like a month.

That's the high scoring. How long does it take a baseball player to score 100 runs? A first-class cricket player has a good hope of doing that in a morning. American footballers claim their game is better than soccer because of the higher game scores. So apply the same logic to baseball and cricket.

An ordinary county game lasts three days, though some impatient Australian invented one-day cricket.
A Test Match, e.g. between England and Australia, lasts a maximum of five days. Though there was one legendary Test, before this limit was imposed, which stopped only because the Australians had their return journey booked on a ship which was about to sail. I forget how long it lasted, but it is known to folklore as the "Timeless Test".

Edit; Memory misled me. It was the South Africans. The match was spread over twelve days.

edit on 27-1-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

So Americans-please do not mock the game, not all the players can teleport.

I reckon the Americans wrote the code; out of envy they sabotaged the gameplay.

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 02:56 PM
link   

It's baseball with two bases in a line instead of more bases in a circle.

I thought it was called a diamond....hmmm

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Its called a Test match for a reason - it also tests Americans attention span.

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight
I'm sure a circle could be drawn round the points, though, or something closer to a circle than a line. The equivalent game in England (played by schoolgirls) is called "rounders".

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 03:01 PM
link   

So we invented a sport where everyone stands around and scratches their nards for 7-8 hours. It's called baseball

Baseball is the men's version of " Rounders " which is played by girls.

Rounders began in Tudor England.

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 03:02 PM
link   

It's called football.

Rarely does it touch the foot - but progress is recorded in "yards" so there is that slow-mo factor where many beers can be consumed.

footless-ball more like it.

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 03:07 PM
link   

though some impatient Australian invented one-day cricket.

It was Packer, a Millionaire who saw an opportunity to cash in. For many years their were 2 Australian teams, and official 1 and the rebels. Eventually England and the Aust Cricket Board saw the benefits, got the hint and joined in.

Now its degenerated by big money, games being influenced by ball tampering etc

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 03:59 PM
link   
The OP's video is a pretty glichy game!

Cricket is a great game. I used to play at school, then very amateur village-level. Lazy Sunday afternoons with picnics and a pint after the match. What more can be more civilised?

Appreciate that if you don't understand cricket then it looks a bit bewildering. It cannot be compared to baseball, although there are similarities.

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 05:10 PM
link   
So, out of curiosity, what is it which causes the game of Cricket to end? Or, does it just go on forever...until people die of old age?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join