It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Right-Wing Opposition Venezuela Plans Mass Privatization and Hyper-Capitalism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 04:49 PM
link   
US Backs Coup in Oil-Rich Venezuela, Right-Wing Opposition Plans Mass Privatization and Hyper-Capitalism

Opposition Plans for Privatized ‘Free Market’ Economy

While supporters of regime change in Venezuela insist this blatantly undemocratic move is necessary to “defend democracy,” make no mistake, the upheaval is clearly not motivated by resistance to authoritarianism. Venezuela, which has the world’s largest oil reserves and has challenged the hegemony of the US dollar, has long been a target of US aggression.
In 2002, the United States supported a military coup that briefly ousted democratically elected President Hugo Chávez and replaced him with the right-wing oligarch Pedro Carmona. US intervention, including crippling economic sanctions, has only continued since then. Elements of Venezeula’s opposition have portrayed themselves to credulous foreign observers as “social democratic,” but their real intentions are very clear: The opposition-controlled legislature has demanded mass privatization of state assets and a return to a capitalist oligarch-controlled economic system built on “property rights and freedom of enterprise.”

In 2017, the Venezuelan government declared the creation of the Constituent Assembly, to rewrite the constitution. Venezuela’s opposition refused to recognize this body and boycotted the elections. The opposition instead remained in control of the National Assembly and decided to run it as a separate parallel legislature.

The opposition-controlled National Assembly drafted a “transition” law that openly outlines what policies the opposition, led by Juan Guaidó, would pursue in its illegitimate, US-recognized “government” in Venezuela. Analyst Jorge Martín, explained what this means in an article published by VenezuelaAnalysis:

The model of the opposition’s new coup regime in Venezuela — backed by the US, Canada, and Brazil — is the reimposition of neoliberal capitalism and the recolonization of Latin America. Any bluster about restoring democracy is a mere pretense at this point.

In other words no changes to the ordinary Venezuelans. The ordinary Venezuelans will be paying the bigger price.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 04:53 PM
link   
In other words no changes for the Ordinary Venezuelans who thought that Regime Change would have brought freedom and democracy.
Democracy is a word now just to be used to push for dangerous agendas and polices.

A privatised monopoly is still a monopoly, and consumers pay the price

Professor Samuel is correct. But regulation is always going to be a second best solution. Both government-owned and private monopolies can play games with regulators and the end result will always fall short of vigorous competition between private businesses.

If competition is not possible, for example for monopoly electricity transmission lines, then privatisation and regulation is a compromise solution. But privatisation with competition is where society really wins. The current round of privatisations is predictable and regular. Businesses move into and out of government ownership over time. Government ownership is only needed when there are strong conflicts between profit-incentives and public welfare. But if privatisation occurs without competition, then, as a nation, we only get a fraction of the benefit. The government will make more money but do not be fooled. It is just a future hidden tax as consumers pay for today’s increased government revenue through tomorrow’s higher prices.

Basically it would be the Western pro opposition government benefiting from the chaos the ordinary people wont be having any of the benefits.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 05:04 PM
link   
You only have to look at Norway to see the life these people should have with such oil reserves.

They could be parallel cultures but sadly they are not.

P

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: AtlasHawk
Well ya! Its like obvious. And well, no doubt sometime soon we will also give them a # ton of moneys for rebuilding and the poor people.

And they the people, will be lucky to see even 1% of that. They would be better starting a go fund me account, they would get much much farther, in fact if they did that some years ago, they would not be in such trouble today. I wonder how much money you all will give them, taken from taxes off course. It will probably many zeros, because lets face it. Rich people aren't going to be spending there own money on making themselves richer with these capital gains and resources coming out of Venezuelan, if they could use other peoples money.

All they have to do is call it a charity and nobody even questions it.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I dont like this whole thing... not one bit.

In a nutshell in my view, this is what I see..... I am not defending the slob in Venezuela in any way, I have never been there so I have no idea what is going on over there.

1/2 the country hates the guy, the other half likes him.... no not Trump, Maduro.

Media goes all out, non stop... Maduro is bad, he is oppressing his own people..... no not Trump, Maduro

Person who lost election proclaims himself rightful president...... No not CLinton

Men is Suits get on media and proclaim Maduro is not the legit president and say their country recognizes the new person.

Now.... how many people are unhappy they had to make new trade deal.... not happy that we support Israel.

This sets a precedent that if enough.... or the right countries do not like the results of your election...... they can get together and recognize the person they want as president.

I would hate to see Trump get re-elected..... then have the UN, the EU , China and Russia all say that Trump cheated, Hilary won the 2020.....

I think I would be more comfortable with a highly monitored re-election.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Zimnydran
what basis do you have for saying half the citizens in Venezuela supports Maduro?? Seems like you just wanted an opportunity to interject your domestic gripes into Venezuela and bash on Trump.

I want to believe you, but a citation is needed for me to just accept your statement that half of Venezuela loves Maduro. Because even before sanctions, the most oil rich state on Earth was plummeting economically with supermarkets having nothing to offer on their shelves. Also the reason he changed the constitution was to give himself essentially a limitless term of rule.

Here is some good reading as to how two knuckle-headed idiots have made a laughing stock of Venezuela's financial capability, Chavez and Maduro.

How Venezuela Struck It Poor The tragic — and totally avoidable — self-destruction of one of the world’s richest oil economies.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Here is some good reading as to how two knuckle-headed idiots have made a laughing stock of Venezuela's financial capability, Chavez and Maduro.

It seems your forgetting the reason why Venezuela's financial situation started when the Americans pushed for sanctions agaisnt the country.

2006< br />
In 2005/2006 Its country and Venezuela's financial situation was doing just fine. If Europe and Middle East joined Alliances with Iran/Russia/China and started pushing for sanctions agaisnt America's economy ya think America's economy would survive? probably not.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

what basis do you have for saying half the citizens in Venezuela supports Maduro?? Seems like you just wanted an opportunity to interject your domestic gripes into Venezuela and bash on Trump.

And I am sure Venezuela's Opposition Golden boy will be a holy saint right? just like how great the Libyan rebels turned out to be?

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 06:48 PM
link   
not sure why you think privation is such a bad thing, but what i want to know is, what do they mean by "privatization", do they mean moving things from the public sector to private or in terms of deregulation?

i think some of you need to realize that privatization has different meanings depending on what the goal is.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 06:55 PM
link   
That was not the question though. The question was, what basis do you have to say half of the citizens love Maduro? Because these economic issues began to compound after he took office, and the only sanctions are against him and some of his people, but not institutions of the nation. Or at least not until very recently.

When those food shelves were going empty, there were no national sanctions against the Venezuela financial institutions. Even now as far as I know the sanctions are against individuals within the government. But that is only from the state department so why believe that??

Obama signed a national emergency in 2014 to start sanctions against Venezuela. Ohh snap, there goes a National Emergency once again started by the previous POTUS and nobody protested. How odd.

Since people don't often visit links, I will remember to add some content in this post.

Venezuela-Related Sanctions, Department of the Treasury

Remarks and Releases
01/23/19 White House Statement From President Donald J. Trump Recognizing Venezuelan National Assembly President Juan Guaido as the Interim President of Venezuela
01/12/19 Ensuring Venezuela's Constitutional Order and Safety of Elected Officials; Deputy Spokesperson Robert Palladino; Washington, DC
01/08/19 Treasury Targets Venezuela Currency Exchange Network Scheme Generating Billions of Dollars for Corrupt Regime Insiders
12/18/18 Venezuela Fact Sheet
11/02/18 Remarks by National Security Advisor Ambassador John R. Bolton on the Administration's Policies in Latin America
09/25/18 The United States Imposes Sanctions on Venezuelan Individuals and Entities; Office of the Spokesperson; Washington, DC
09/25/18 Treasury Targets Venezuelan President Maduro's Inner Circle and Proceeds of Corruption in the United States
05/18/18 Treasury Targets Influential Former Venezuelan Official and His Corruption Network
03/19/18 Treasury Sanctions Four Current or Former Venezuelan Officials Associated with Economic Mismanagement and Corruption
01/05/18 Treasury Sanctions Four Venezuelan Government Officials Associated with Corruption and Oppression
11/09/17 Treasury Sanctions Ten Venezuelan Government Officials
08/09/17 Treasury Sanctions Eight Individuals Involved in Venezuela's Illegitimate Constituent Assembly
07/31/17 Treasury Sanctions the President of Venezuela
07/26/17 Treasury Sanctions 13 Current and Former Senior Officials of the Government of Venezuela
07/17/17 Statement from President Donald J. Trump
05/18/17 Treasury Sanctions Eight Members of Venezuela's Supreme Court of Justice
03/09/15 Statement by the White House Press Secretary on Venezuela
03/09/15 White House Fact Sheet: Venezuela Executive Order
12/18/14 Statement by the White House Press Secretary: Bills Signed into Law

Executive Orders

Executive Order 13850 of November 1, 2018 "Blocking Property of Additional Persons Contributing to the Situation in Venezuela"
Executive Order 13835 of May 21, 2018 “Prohibiting Certain Additional Transactions with Respect to Venezuela”
Executive Order 13827 of March 19, 2018 “Taking Additional Steps to Address the Situation in Venezuela”
Executive Order 13808 of August 24, 2017 “Imposing Additional Sanctions with Respect to the Situation in Venezuela”
Executive Order 13692 of March 8, 2015 “Blocking Property and Suspending Entry of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Venezuela”

Yes, this current sanctioning shenanigans began with Obama declaring a national emergency to our foreign policy. Its in writing bro. I am searching for the list of sanctions during Chaves's rule, and I suspect it will be similar. Limited to members of the governing body and possibly any private institutions owned or operated by them for their profit.
edit on 1-26-2019 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zimnydran
I dont like this whole thing... not one bit.

In a nutshell in my view, this is what I see..... I am not defending the slob in Venezuela in any way, I have never been there so I have no idea what is going on over there.

1/2 the country hates the guy, the other half likes him.... no not Trump, Maduro.

Media goes all out, non stop... Maduro is bad, he is oppressing his own people..... no not Trump, Maduro

Person who lost election proclaims himself rightful president...... No not CLinton

Men is Suits get on media and proclaim Maduro is not the legit president and say their country recognizes the new person.

Now.... how many people are unhappy they had to make new trade deal.... not happy that we support Israel.

This sets a precedent that if enough.... or the right countries do not like the results of your election...... they can get together and recognize the person they want as president.

I would hate to see Trump get re-elected..... then have the UN, the EU , China and Russia all say that Trump cheated, Hilary won the 2020.....

I think I would be more comfortable with a highly monitored re-election.

In a nutshell in my view, this is what I see

You got eye problems.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Do you have reading problems?

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 05:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
You only have to look at Norway to see the life these people should have with such oil reserves.

They could be parallel cultures but sadly they are not.

P

Norway doesn´t have such a greedy neighbour like Venezuela has, Norway doesn´t have that USA problem in Europe!

edit on 27 1 2019 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   
It's going to turn into another Africa. Resource rich, and it will be raped while the citizens are just left in the dust. With, or without a government or economy.

Although, Venezuela had a chance to work with oil companys instead of against them and make deals like Trinidad did. Sure its putting the most abundant resource in control of oil companys but they do bring infrastructure and stability to an under developed nation which eventually can stabilize itself. The Petro dollar is a powerful tool, it's a nation maker.
edit on 27-1-2019 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Of course it would, it's the150other countries that rely on American dollars that would die.

American is fully capable of self sustaining if necessary. Unlike Venezuela, we have the resources and ability to fully support ourselves.

Have you ever wondered why none of these countries who hate America haven't imposed sanctions?

US purchased so much from the world that the whole world would suffer if they tried to impose sanctions.

Jaden

new topics

top topics

join