It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enough with "caved" language

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   
From CNN to Ann Coulter, people keep describing Trump's reopening of the government as "caving."

This isn't a game of chicken. Trump is not my favorite, but suspending the shutdown was a good move, whether he did it for optics, for mercy to federal employees, or just to distract from Stone.

Paul Ryan left him in a weak position for funding the wall. The new tax plandecreases tax revenue by over a trillion dollars. How the heck is Trump supposed to dig up wall money from Congress.

In short, I'm disgusted with both wings of the media for being disparaging of Trump on what I think was a wise decision in this mess.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Look2theSacredHeart

Reality hurts sometimes. Oh and Trump did cave in a epic fashion, might be why there saying he caved.

+12 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire

Reality hurts sometimes. Oh and Trump did cave in a epic fashion, might be why there saying he caved.

Actually, no. What Trump did was tighten the nooses a little more around Pelosi's and Schumer's necks.

He wants the public to see that he did everything humanly possible to avoid having to declare a National Emergency in order to secure the Southern border.

If the Dems negotiate in good faith over the next three weeks, and include funding for the wall (and other security measures), great...Trump wins. If they do not (which is the more likely case), then Trump will have every justification needed to declare an Emergency before another shutdown happens...he will then build the wall etc...Trump wins.

The Dems are now totally boxed in. Trump in no way has caved. He has simply maneuvered his opponents into a position where he wins now, whether or not they cooperate.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

Reality is more complex than that.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 11:31 AM
link   
If Trump caved.

The only thing it means is he actually gives a snip about people.

UNLIKE the left.

Whose only concerns is POWER, and doing EVERYTHING they can to get rid of him.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

That's an excellent point. Does this give Dems more leeway to make big requests, like making DACA permanent? They have to make some sort of deal...I doubt they'd negotiate unless it meant some parallel big win for their causes.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Why enough with it? I actually find it funny.

The funniest part is how Trump showed he cares for the Federal workers and Pelosi doesn't.

But in 3 weeks I don't think the Dims are going to find it funny anymore, but I will still see the humor.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Well said.

I think that once the dust settles and the media has lied enough, most will realize that this is a good thing and life will continue on.

To make a sports analogy, it'd be like calling the game in the third inning after a ground hit that got the runner on second.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Thats the only way its not a cave.

If the President cant legally move funds around to build just about anything, we might just as well have elected Jeb.

Stop playing games against people that are trying to seize control of your country by any means.
Take the political fallout, act...dont talk tough..., ACT.

Thats my advice to Trump.

edit on 1/26/2019 by FrostyFlakes because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/26/2019 by FrostyFlakes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Look2theSacredHeart

That's an excellent point. Does this give Dems more leeway to make big requests, like making DACA permanent? They have to make some sort of deal...I doubt they'd negotiate unless it meant some parallel big win for their causes.

Trump has offered to make accomodations for the DACA "kids" on at least two occasions - including within the last week. The Dems, so far, have refused to sign on to measures that would provide them a more secure future within the US.

They would be wise to make this (offer that Trump has already made) a condition of their signing off (once again...they agreed to fund a wall years ago) on the "barrier", so that they can try to claim some kind of victory. We'll see.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: mobiusmale

Trump has offered to make accomodations for the DACA "kids" on at least two occasions - including within the last week. The Dems, so far, have refused to sign on to measures that would provide them a more secure future within the US.
Those offers were only temporary. Not sure I agree with Pelosi turning them down, but I see why Dems would want a permanent agreement for DACA recipients.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Funny how before Trump opened the government, he was blamed for not being able to compromise, and now that he has...he "caved". So which is it lefties? Jeezus.
edit on 26-1-2019 by lakenheath24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: mobiusmale

Those offers were only temporary. Not sure I agree with Pelosi turning them down, but I see why Dems would want a permanent agreement for DACA recipients.

True enough.

The problem the President has is that if he offers a blanket path to citizenship or permanent residency, then he will not be able to pass the measure in the Senate...where many of the GOP Senators will cry "amnesty".

Personally, I think the path to success on this goes a little like:

1) Secure the border (to cut down on the free flow of people and drugs)
2) Pass Immigration reform measures (to tighten up on the types and numbers of people coming in to the Country legally...more merit based)
3) Give the DACA kids a path to citizenship - but no amnesty for their parents.
4) Get more aggressive in deporting people who overstay their Visas, and prosecuting people who use fake IDs in order to be able to work illegally.

Of course, more likely everybody will just continue to bicker on all sides, and this will still be a hot topic of discussion when POTUS 47 is inaugurated.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Ha! Same with Syria! I am a lib myself, but the reaction of the Dems to Trump drawing down troops was idiotic.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Cave or no cave, it is a decision that makes sense, especially if you're a business owner. Those federal paychecks trickle down (or up) to businesses that support the commuter towns in the DMV area. Not to mention other areas in which federal workers are a hefty percentage of the work force.

What a great deal of partisan people (left and right) are forgetting is that the game of politics is a game of give and take. They've been assuming that it's all take for their side, and that anyone that makes concessions or compromises is a "sell out" or is "caving." Most of the time it's a quid pro quo that is paid back at some other time...when a vote is needed, or an extra-party voice of support is needed.

While the left gloats and the right castigates the POTUS for "caving" maybe some work across the aisle will happen. Who knows, maybe it is the beginning of a cooperative effort in running the country? Probably not, but I still have hope that bi-partisan efforts can and will do some good for the constituency and not just the corporate citizens of the USA.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 12:16 PM
link   

He said a month ago, he would absolutely not open the government, until he had the wall funded. Him reopening the government, shows he was wrong for trying to use jobs, as a bargaining chip!

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Ok, I'll ask one more time.

In 3 weeks when this temporary reopening of the government is over and everything comes to a screeching halt once again, how is that considered caving?

3 whole weeks of people getting their paychecks.
Then the whole thing starts over.

Where the hell is the cave?

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   
We all know this to be painfully true. TDS is real. And apparently it's contagious. Or maybe Ann Coulter is just an idiot.

:
edit on 2019 1 26 by incoserv because: I thought of a brilliant comment to add.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I have no problems with Liberals, or Conservatives. They are peeps one can have a normal conversation with. It's the lefty/righty peeps that are insane. They did the same with Obama.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I saw "caving" and my first thought was it was some new kind of sex game. As in, "Yo, Paulie, gonna go do some Caving at the local meat market. You in"?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join