It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trans Activism and "Gender Affirmation" is Breaking Our Kids

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: ketsuko

You should encourage him to wear clothes that make him stand out (and get beat up for it), and when he does get beat up for it set about socially engineering ALL the kids to wanting to dress like that (so then they'll inherently beat up kids for dressing up as what would have been normal [because thats what kids do]).

Our biggest dilemma at present is that he thinks he wants a mohawk. We compromise by letting him wear colored hair gel here and there to spike his hair with, but I'm not letting him special cut his hair for a mohawk until he's old enough to maintain it all himself.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

originally posted by: ketsuko

For Pete's sakes, did you *not* read the part where I go fishing and the husband cooks ... because that's what we like to do?

Clearly you were supposed to vote for Hillary and rampage thru the streets when she lost.

We were all supposed to do that. Of course, if we were all willing to do that, she would have won.

I don't get some people. They're so sure they know something when they really know nothing at all.

They cannot accept that people can like or do things and not be gender-confused.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Well then you would never be diagnosed as having gender dysphoria. Whew! What a relief, right?

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

I could even see a way to positively channel an interest in makeup.

It could lead to an interest in stage and screen. There are careers in theatre makeup. Sometimes, that starts with making up oneself.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Well then you would never be diagnosed as having gender dysphoria. Whew! What a relief, right?

In today's world, who can say? Now I know, but back then, I was a kid and less sure of things. If someone like a parent or other adult authority figure comes forward and starts pressing, sure that it is something else, how long does a child stand up to that?

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

But, if she had had dumbass-easily-manipulated-confused-themselves parents, she could have found herself being "evaluated" by some gender identity psychobabbalist with "credentials" telling her parents that she might possibly need transgender counseling. That might have set poor ketsuko on a path of confusion leading to dysphoria leading to gawd knows what!

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

a reply to: DBCowboy

In that case, we should dress all babies and children in gender neutral clothes, and give them gender neutral names and gender neutral pronouns - until they are 18, and they can decide on their own what gender they are.

Huh?

What kind of dystopian nightmare are you for?

Do you think children should be able to buy and drink scotch? If not, then why do you think they have the mental ability to determine life-altering surgeries and medicinal procedures?

unreal, isnt it?

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 02:47 PM
link   

And what if your child has symptoms of depression and anxiety because they are told they have to conform to what gender you insist they be? What if they threaten to self mutilate, or kill themselves? What if they start to withdraw from their friends, and stop participating in school activities or stop showing an interest in anything anymore?

What then? You “lovingly” slap the crap out of them and tell them to snap out of it?

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

Little ol' me won't make a difference, unfortunately.

Let me ask you, is any human born with the knowledge of what it means to be a boy or girl?

Or is it thrusted upon us?

With this is mind, how can a 3 year old child know that a dress is meant for a girl?

How can he know that he's supposed to have a vagina... when he has no idea what a vagina is?

We aren’t talking about 3 year old children taking drugs/hormones and having surgeries!!!

Ok fair enough.

But we've had countless conversations about this in the past, and you and many others have said gender dysphoria can start as early as 3 years old, and that you can and should start seeing counselling for it at that age.

My counter-argument was always that presenting this idea to a 3 year old child will only end up confusing them.

Do you disagree with this?

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   

In today's world, who can say? Now I know, but back then, I was a kid and less sure of things. If someone like a parent or other adult authority figure comes forward and starts pressing, sure that it is something else, how long does a child stand up to that?

More false crap from the right.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 02:50 PM
link   

It could lead to an interest in stage and screen. There are careers in theatre makeup. Sometimes, that starts with making up oneself.

Perhaps later, imo. But during infancy to puberty, I am a firm believer that a parent should draw easily understood boundaries during the formative years. Once they are outside of the concrete stage of development and can think more abstractly, you loosen the reins somewhat.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 02:50 PM
link   

And what if your child has symptoms of depression and anxiety because they are told they have to conform to what gender you insist they be? What if they threaten to self mutilate, or kill themselves? What if they start to withdraw from their friends, and stop participating in school activities or stop showing an interest in anything anymore?

What then? You “lovingly” slap the crap out of them and tell them to snap out of it?

Then my guess is your child is probably suffering from more than just "dysphoria".

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Let me ask you, is any human born with the knowledge of what it means to be a boy or girl?

With this is mind, how can a 3 year old child know that a dress is meant for a girl?

How can he know that he's supposed to have a vagina... when he has no idea what a vagina is?

We aren’t talking about 3 year old children taking drugs/hormones and having surgeries!!!

Ok fair enough.

But we've had countless conversations about this in the past, and you and many others have said gender dysphoria can start as early as 3 years old, and that you can and should start seeing counselling for it at that age.

My counter-argument was always that presenting this idea to a 3 year old child will only end up confusing them.

You don’t present the idea of gender dysphoria to a 3 year old. They won’t know what the words “gender dysphoria” mean. When a 3 year old presents strong symptoms of gender dysphoria (remember what the definition of that really is), a therapist can recommend allowing the child to dress and act like the gender they identify with to relieve the dysphoria. It has greatly helped many young children, and is totally reversible.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Then my guess is your child is probably suffering from more than just "dysphoria".

No. That is the definition of dysphoria.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Ok fair enough.

You don’t present the idea of gender dysphoria to a 3 year old. They won’t know what the words “gender dysphoria” mean. When a 3 year old presents strong symptoms of gender dysphoria (remember what the definition of that really is), a therapist can recommend allowing the child to dress and act like the gender they identify with to relieve the dysphoria. It has greatly helped many young children, and is totally reversible.

not being a jerk here, but interested in what age you think that a child would be able to handle the idea of gender dysphoria, and at what age should they be allowed to determine if they want medical and surgical intervention? should the parents have to approve?
edit on pm11201919America/Chicago26p02pm by annoyedpharmacist because: damn typo

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 02:56 PM
link   

So you're saying when my son went through that phase where he was Iron Man, we should have let him go everywhere in that cardboard box mockup armor to relieve his identity dysphoria instead of telling him it was just for playing with at home?

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Hmmm? I was involved in another conversation here with the lovely Boadicea but got logged out and couldn't get back in and thought I was banned or something? I gave up trying which was unfortunate as I'd written quite a lengthy reply I was unable to post. I visited the site on my phone today and got right in so I went back to my desktop, cleared cookies, clicked my heels together three times, crossed my fingers behind my back then spun around and figured out what my problem was so even though I guess I wasn’t really gone, I am back. Oh joy!

Our OP has presented quite a compelling and well-crafted post parroting every last bit of radical anti-trans hysteria they could gather from places like Mumsnet, 4thWaveNow, TransgenderTrend, AfterEllen and FairPlayForWomen et al and I congratulate them for doing such an outstanding job and for their thoroughness and effort.

I won’t even begin to offer a tit for tat counterpoint to their argument because from reading the replies in this thread, this information so handily and obviously allows everyone to fuel their confirmation bias without even questioning the impartiality of the material offered and there’s no real sense beating a dead horse. With a well written post and a lot of supporting links, it has to be 100% accurate, right? Don’t fall for this fringe agenda or accept it at face value without question.

“Because trans activists” the OP laments at every turn and has now lowered themselves to employing the pathetically long used fallback trope of save the children hoping to tug at heartstrings in order to gather supporters of their radicalized minority view which brings me to the only real point I’m going to make at this time…

The OP has no real dog in this fight and believes their agenda to be altruistic and noble in nature which I’m sure is good for a few self-congratulatory pats on the back and while I won’t deny that a few valid points may have been raised, I do need to point out the views and information presented is anything but impartial, is highly biased, intentionally and sensationalistically inflammatory and falls far outside of the mainstream scientific and medical consensus on the treatment of transgender children. It also lacks even a smidgen of empathy and understanding for the families dealing with a transgender child or the children in question themselves.

Maybe I will play?

Endocrine Treatment of Gender-Dysphoric/Gender-Incongruent Persons: An Endocrine Society Clinical Practice Guideline

Detransiti on, Desistance, and Disinformation: A Guide for Understanding Transgender Children Debates

Mental Health and Self-Worth in Socially Transitioned Transgender Youth

Psychological Support, Puberty Suppression, and Psychosocial Functioning in Adolescents with Gender Dysphoria

Hormone treatment to halt puberty in transgender adolescents is safe and effective

6 Facts About Affirming Therapy for Trans And Gender Non-Conforming Youth

Mental Health of Transgender Children Who Are Supported in Their Identities

This Is What Happens To Transgender Kids Who Delay Puberty

Gender-Diverse & Transgender Children

Transgender Kids Show Consistent Gender Identity Across Measures

Chosen Name Use Is Linked to Reduced Depressive Symptoms, Suicidal Ideation, and Suicidal Behavior Among Transgender Youth

Perceptions of Sex, Gender, and Puberty Suppression: A Qualitative Analysis of Transgender Youth

What The Media Should Know About Walt Heyer And "Transition Regrets"

Walt Heyer, Detransition and the WPATH SOC

Puberty Suppression in a Gender-Dysphoric Adolescent: A 22-Year Follow-Up

Suppression of Puberty in Transgender Children

Young Adult Psychological Outcome After Puberty Suppression and Gender Reassignment

edit on 26-1-2019 by Cybelle because: posted same link twice

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

Perhaps later, imo. But during infancy to puberty, I am a firm believer that a parent should draw easily understood boundaries during the formative years. Once they are outside of the concrete stage of development and can think more abstractly, you loosen the reins somewhat.

Generally, speaking with the makeup it's more like, "That's mommy's. We don't play that."

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 02:59 PM
link   
People arent born smoking crack or shooting dope, but enough personal tension combined with peer pressure and all bets are off. Now imagine if the entire media and educational apparatus told them their entire lives they all need to strongly consider becoming a dope addict.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Ok fair enough.

But then this just goes back to my initial argument. How can the child identify with something of the opposite sex when NOTHING is inherently male or female? Playing with a dress does not make one female, because a dress is not female.

For the sake of not dragging this on, I'll just end it here and hopefully leave you with something to think about.

Have a good day, Kayla.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join