It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The future's wireless

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Is it possible to totally eradicate wires?

Could we live in a wireless world? I'm sure it's possible as many new electronic items are being released with wireless adaptors.

The only thing I'm not sure possible is having wireless adaptors to the main electricity source, e.g wall sockets. Would it be possible for power to travel wirelessly to the electronic product?

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I've always wondered that. There is even a Munsters episode I happened to see where Grandpa lites up a lightbulb in Hermans hand from across the room with a device that involves the use of eggbeaters (don't ask)

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I am not sure on this but i think the most effective way to send power is via microwaves which as u can imagine would be quite dangerous for a high powered apliance (unless u like your insides cooked). I remember seeing something on TV a while ago where they were talking of putting solar panels in space and beaming the energy back via microwave. It would work well so long as the energy was beemed to a remote area.

[edit on 28-2-2005 by ufo3]

Odd

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Unfortunately, microwaves require line-of-sight to work properly, so they wouldn't work inside a house. However, they are in fact one of the most efficient means of transmitting signals over long distances; the only catch is that the dishes have to be mounted high enough that trees and such don't get in between two dishes, disrupting the signal.

Personally, I like wires... my cell phone barely works half of the time, and my wireless ethernet card suffers from a signal degradation of about 23% at a distance of less than thirty feet from the broadcasting unit. Until we've come up with a way to preserve signal integrity even when there's a concrete wall in the way, I'd just as soon rather have to step over a cord now and then

[edit on 2/28/2005 by Odd]

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Yes - Tis true.

I was thinking of the main advantage being of installing hardware.

I recently installed my own car stereo system, this consisted of:

Stero CD/MP3 Hear unit
2x 10" Speakers (Front)
2x Tweeters (Front)
2x 6"x 9" Speakers (Back)
1x 12" Subwoofer
1x Amplifier

Now the wiring for this was a JOKE. I didn't have a clue where to start and had to use the advice of several mates who knew what they were on about. Surely if wireless technology becomes available all you have to worry about is mounting the hardware into the car, not the actual wiring.

This could maybe happen by having a univeral wireless adapter on the headunit, one on the speakers etc. which are all able to communicate with each other. Surely this will make people's lives a lot easier.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   
well equipment will get wireless usb or one of its variants so the only wire is the power wire

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Yeah - will it, well is it possible to not have the power wire? Have 'power' travel through the air..?

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Well I think we should be very careful in regards to sending energy via broadcast... look at what the studies are starting to say about cell phone usage and cancer, etc - now image broadcasting raw energy....

Didn't Tesla make something that could broadcast electricity ? Who the hell was that guy anyway, way ahead of his time? Probably an alien hahahahaha!

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
i dont think we will ever be completely wireless, because someone on here once had a prophecy that there were wires in his dream that took place in the future and they had wires dont remember who it was though...

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Schmidt1989
i dont think we will ever be completely wireless, because someone on here once had a prophecy that there were wires in his dream that took place in the future and they had wires dont remember who it was though...

"because someone on here once had a prophecy that there....dont remember who it was though"

Very reliable source

new topics

top topics

join