It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OMG... it all makes sense now.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: TheRedneck

I'm simple.

Trump is basically giving democrats, "enough rope".

Guess what happens next.

Trump gives them even more rope?

Sorry. Couldn't resist. But to turn to a more thoughtful response, I think that he was cornered. Several types of bills were offered during the shutdown (McConnell said that he wouldn't present anything to Trump that Trump was going to veto) and none of them was accepted. He wasn't willing to negotiate and the stand off continued.

At this point it was an all-or-nothing and he'd backed himself into a corner. Once the system started breaking down (furloughed workers not showing up, air travel beginning to be disrupted) he had little choice.

And this is the problem with his bargaining tactics -- it's all "poker". In poker, you don't offer tit-for-tat... you don't bargain. It's my way or the highway.

And that just isn't workable nowadays.

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

If anyone has played "my way or the highway" during this shutdown, it was Pelosi. Trump has brought several ideas to the table:
  • We'll take care of DACA.
  • We'll provide TPS (Temporary Protective Services) for aliens.
  • We'll concentrate on specific areas.
  • We'll use steel slats instead of concrete.
  • Etc.
So what has Pelosi brought?
  • No.
  • No.
  • No.
  • No.
  • No.
  • No.
  • No.
  • No.
  • No.
If that's not "my way or the highway," I don't know what is. I simply cannot fathom how anyone with more than two functioning neurons to rub together can say with a straight face that Trump is unwilling to negotiate in good faith with Pelosi, and I know you have substantial horsepower between your ears.

Maybe TDS is more addictive than nicotine? Perhaps we need a warning on the news channels now?

WARNING!

The Surgeon General has determined that viewing this product has been shown to cause hallucinations, delusion, and extreme loss of reality.

THIS NEWS CHANNEL MAY BE ADDICTIVE AND MAY LEAD TO HEART DISEASE, LUNG CANCER, DEMENTIA, AND BIRTH DEFECTS.

We could splash that screen for a second or two every couple of minutes. It might decrease the problem with mental health in the country.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 03:46 AM
link   

first I think you found in the Ginsburg situation an angle that the main stream press would NEVER report and when presented shows how truly crafty trump is along with very logical given facts RIGHT IN FRONT of our faces.

But even if this was not true what trump did in this whole situation was do something that no president (outside of maybe regan) had done.

Make EVERYONE (be press, democrats, government departments, and even REPUBLICANS) show their true "colors" and make them COMMIT to something for EVERY VOTER to see.

Trump started this during his election from start (exposing the real corruption of the nominating process of democrats) with is opponents on the left, by exposing to the daylight those within his own party (the rinos and establishment) their commitment to party over voters, those opposed to him the violence and hatred they had, and then the press blatant bias along with their lack of ANY journalistic integrity .

when elected he EXPOSED the looney left in all their glory or in more accurate terms how nutty they truly were.

then he made the republicans accountable for their promises to the people (or lack thereof ) by DIRECTLY CALLING THEM OUT by bluntly (for all to see) what he wanted and he was ready to sign.

He openly negotiated and hid nothing ... much the reason for hating his tweets which bypass the press.

his press secretary bluntly called out bad behavior of reporters.. something no one ever did before.

then trump did the unthinkable.... WENT AFTER WHAT HE PROMISED be he succeeded or failed .

By sticking to his guns and being plain, blunt and un politician succeeded .

He then even with his mistakes (yes there are a few) the people could see what was going on no matter what the spin of press was along with the press has become so desperate their bs is not even being hidden.

The Kavanaug hearing also exposed who was truly for truth and who was for hype.
why those (be democrats or republicans) who supported the lies were voted out and those who didnt stayed.

All of this ended the "blue wave" (who depended on trump hate) and while gave the house back to the democrats got rid of those rinos who could not keep their promises and also relied of "hate the otherside" to win.

now on to this wall shutdown.

he has shown the press as liars, shown that we can function with 30 percent (and maybe more) of the government not working (IMO setting up budget cuts) , which republicans are rino/anti trump/against boarder wall, and that by giving a compromise package of things democrats claimed the wanted (ex DACA protection ) showed they are not interested in what/who they claim .

Now with the compromise of the extension they think they won and dont realize the show for THE VOTERS they put on.

If trump (as I hope he does) calls their bluff / calls his he continues to do what he promised by national emergency .

Yes it will be crucified in the press, yes it will be challenged and delayed by at min the 9th circuit court.
But it will show who is for the people and who is not.

it will IMO condemn the rino republicans, democrats , and the press while helping trump and those that support him to the voters.

scrounger

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 05:27 AM
link   
a reply to: scrounger

I agree.

Perhaps some people thought that 'draining the swamp' was a promise to jail elected officials and bureaucrats who were corrupt. No, although that would be a part of it for bureaucrats. No President has the power to persecute elected officials while they are in power; the founders knew how dangerous that would be. The only ones who truly have the power to drain the swamp are us, the voters.

What the President has the power to do, and what Trump has done, is to ferret out the secrecy the corrupt politicians hide behind. Twitter is a pain in the butt; Trump seems almost hypnotized by it sometimes. But the truth is that Trump has led the most transparent and responsive administration in my memory by using Twitter. There is no need for conspiracy theories; Trump tells us every single day what he's thinking. Every... Single... Day! I shudder to think what a similar Tweet storm from Obama or either Bush would have looked like!

His speeches are rougher than other Presidents, not as polished. He speaks plainly, as you or I would talk to someone on the street. Political correctness is ignored. I think it is our habit of trying to analyze speeches and briefings in the light of political correct speak that causes so many misunderstandings. He once said "Mexico is not sending their best; they're sending rapists, and murderers, and some, I believe, are good people." To me, in the common tongue, that is a true statement: Mexico is the country as a whole, who are sending people by making life difficult for those who are downtrodden. Those who Mexico considers important and successful are not oppressed and thus are not encouraged to leave. Many of those are oppressed for the same reason many are oppressed here: they have committed acts that are outside the morality of the country, as in rape and murder. We lock such people up; some areas of Mexico simply do not have the social infrastructure to do so. And some are indeed good people, simply people who have not been successful for one reason or another. Maybe they lack education or skills... that can be attributed more to the educational infrastructure of Mexico than their actions, so they are, yes, good people.

In contrast, in politically correct politician speak, he should have listed the good people first since they are the most important; he should have not accused the Mexican government of improper actions; he should have minimized the heinousness of the criminal element to reflect the relative numbers. But had he done so, as other Presidents have done, he would have minimized a very serious issue... one that kills Americans every day.

He would also have not brought into the light those who care more for potential votes from illegals voting illegally than they do for the very lives of the legal electorate.

Now it is up to us, the American people, to decide whether we want further corruption or a more representative and responsible government. Do we want to risk our lives with criminal elements so those criminal elements can vote in our favorite criminals, or do we want to live in peace and combat crime as soon as it shows up? That's not Trump's choice, it is ours. All he can do is show us the difference.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Agreed, and well said. I've explained to some folks what "Drain the Swamp" really means using a visual metaphor. It doesn't need over analysis (as we have needed for past presidents since PC gone wild).

Example:

If you imagine a swamp, it has lots of dark water, dead trees, and many animals that swim undetected under that water, right? Well, if you begin to drain that water, you reveal those hidden dangers, snags, old stumps, and creatures for all to see, right? The act of draining is not going in there knee deep in the muck and getting rid of those things, no. It is revealing them to us, so we can see what has always been hidden from our view. Those hidden things and dangers so we can decide if they are bad enough to remove or avoid. Even if that dark water returns in the future, we now know those dangers are there since he helped to reveal them to us in the light of day.

Of course, those creatures do not want to be revealed, so they scurry and splash, making every attempt to remain hidden so as not to be seen.

That is what he promised, to reveal the swamp dangers and creatures for us to see and make our own decisions on how to best manage them going forward.

edit on 1/29/2019 by Krakatoa because: fixed spelling errors

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 07:47 AM
link   

OMG! Learn how to make meaningful thread titles!

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

I like that analogy... I may steal it from you.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: ziplock9000

ONG! Learn where the back button is!

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: Krakatoa

I like that analogy... I may steal it from you.

TheRedneck

As Ozzy sang, "Steal away....steal away...the night!"

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 04:08 PM
link   

If anyone has played "my way or the highway" during this shutdown, it was Pelosi. Trump has brought several ideas to the table:
  • We'll take care of DACA.
  • We'll provide TPS (Temporary Protective Services) for aliens.
  • We'll concentrate on specific areas.
  • We'll use steel slats instead of concrete.
  • Etc.

Except that behind that was "billions for the wall." That's not meeting anyone half way. I agreed with #1 and #2, by the way as solutions toward solving the problem. But the rest, no.

It's as I said before: simple solutions and wrong ones to address a larger problem.

Putting up a wall isn't going to stop drug smuggling from the south because they bring it into the US in huge quantities... and nobody's going to trek 50 miles across a desert carrying half a ton of marijuana (as an example.) I do expect to see more use of drones in this capacity, however (making a wall completely useless.) What we need there is better technology rather than a stone age solution.

I think that most here think of human trafficking in terms of young girls sold into sex slavery, but in truth it's more complicated than that. Humans are trafficked from all over the world and often come in through airports. Wall won't stop that.

And the US-Mexico border is not the only border where things (including illegals) enter America.

Democrats were willing to look at other options such as improving technology along the border and frankly, I think this is the way to go. But a wall? No. As I said, that seems like the least effective solution for a complex problem.

Maybe TDS is more addictive than nicotine? Perhaps we need a warning on the news channels now?

I appreciate it when we're having a discussion. I don't find this kind of remark, particularly directed towards me, is very useful in promoting dialogue.

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Honest to Horus, it's like watching an episode of Pinky and the Brain. Poor Chuck and Nan---bless their hearts---they keep us entertained.

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
It's funny the hoops trump's fan jump just to give him credit. On every blunder, every idiotic move, every idiotic statement; the cult leader must be dignified at all cost.

Because trump could foresee the health conditions of the scotus members, he waited until after the house went to the dems to ask for funding, whilst predicting a shutdown, with the intention of postponing the sotu just in the nick of time for ruth to kick the bucket...
...only in the head of cult45.

Gotta salvage that esteem. Wait until we see his plans for healthcare for every American as promised!

Mexico's paychecks is being furloughed right now, but they will pay for the wall...indirectly
or directly.

So no... whatever you have to tell yourself, say: NO, it doesn't make sense or ever.
Exact same could be said about the left

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman
Only 5 stars? Lol

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ziplock9000

OMG! Learn how to make meaningful thread titles!
No down vote button, damn...

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Except that behind that was "billions for the wall." That's not meeting anyone half way. I agreed with #1 and #2, by the way as solutions toward solving the problem. But the rest, no.

My point was that Trump has attempted to offer incentives for his solution to border security, while Pelosi and the DNC have offered none. Compromise does not mean "OK, I capitulate." Compromise means both sides get something they want, but not necessarily everything they want. Negotiation is the only key to compromise, so simply saying "no" over and over and over without even listening to the offers made is not conducive to compromise. Indeed, it is the very essence of the "my way or the highway" thinking you falsely accuse Trump of, but which Pelosi has used in the extreme.

You refer to my reference to TDS: this is why it is there. Your attempt to define one party as the essence of bad faith negotiations while ignoring both that side's continual attempts and the other side's continual refusals to act in good faith is a prime example, textbook if you will, of what is termed "TDS." Resistance to a border wall is not the issue that brought out that comment; refusal to accept the obvious actions of one side of the debate is.

Putting up a wall isn't going to stop drug smuggling from the south because they bring it into the US in huge quantities... and nobody's going to trek 50 miles across a desert carrying half a ton of marijuana (as an example.) I do expect to see more use of drones in this capacity, however (making a wall completely useless.) What we need there is better technology rather than a stone age solution.

You're right. No one is trekking 50 miles across a desert packing a half ton of pot. But that's also hyperbole.

What they can do is simply park a truck a few miles from the border. Another truck on the Mexico side drives to an area just across the border filled with illegal-to-be aliens, each carrying a few pounds of heroine or fenanyl. As soon as the coast is clear, they run across the border to the waiting truck, hand the driver their load, and he takes them somewhere else. It's not hard; with absolutely no barrier whatsoever and only occasional border patrols (because the border is so vast and mostly desert), it's actually pretty easy. The aliens get what they want: a new life in the US, albeit illegal; the coyotes get what they want: the life savings of the illegals for brokering them out to the drug runners; and the drug runners get what they want: people to carry their drugs across the border.

It would be a lot less easy if there were this barrier between the trucks that would take a couple hours to get through or across. Wouldn't you agree?

A drone, or any high tech solution, will not provide any physical resistance. All a drone can do is send back pictures. If those pictures are in a location 30 minutes away and the truck will be gone within 5 minutes, how exactly is that security?

Sometimes those "stone age solutions" are the best solutions... you know, like having wheels on your car?

I think that most here think of human trafficking in terms of young girls sold into sex slavery, but in truth it's more complicated than that. Humans are trafficked from all over the world and often come in through airports. Wall won't stop that.

No, it won't stop everything. But it will stop one avenue used for trafficking. Is that not sufficient? Must any solution presented have a 100% success rate?

Stents don't stop all patients from dying of heart disease, either. Speed limits do not stop all car crashes. Firearm restrictions do not stop all shootings. Shall we abandon them in expectation of a 100% solution?

Democrats were willing to look at other options such as improving technology along the border and frankly, I think this is the way to go. But a wall? No. As I said, that seems like the least effective solution for a complex problem.

Surely you are aware that high tech requires infrastructure? A wall will provide that infrastructure as well as acting as a physical barrier to slow crossings. I have advocated for high tech solutions since before the 2016 election, including low-altitude radar (that will take care of the half tons of pot, since they are typically brought in by planes and dropped off as bales to be retrieved), ground-penetrating radar to detect tunneling, and WiFi links back to CBP stations. We're not talking of an either/or situation here... we're talking about each solution complementing the other one.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 09:59 PM
link   

a reply to: musicismagic

That's what those who hate him don't understand. We do not support Trump's policies... he supports ours. This is not so much Trump's administration as it is the people's administration with him at the lead.

Excellent insight. I completely agree.

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

It's funny the hoops trump's fan jump just to give him credit. On every blunder, every idiotic move, every idiotic statement;

I'm not American so could you point out some of those "blunders and idiotic moves"? With some Real sources (not fake news)

I have my own opinion of what's going down, but for now, seeming you've made a LOT of NOISE without actually saying anything so how about some of those FACTS you speak of?

So no... whatever you have to tell yourself, say: NO, it doesn't make sense or ever.

Gee, thanks for the heads up, but can You tell me 'what IS happening'?

I doubt it very much!

p.s. and don't "forget" the sauces, coz "words are cheap"

even these of mine ... virtually free! (lol see what I did there!) :roll

edit on 4-2-2019 by JohnnyJetson because: parenthesises

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join