It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media - For good? For bad?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 02:13 AM
link   
The Media

The Media has been round for so long, but has it really been good or bad.

I personally believe that the media is bad because it is controlled by the rich and powerful, playing the news they want to hear in certain situations.

On the other hand I also believe the media is good because it's a way of letting us know what's going on around the world.

Would we be better off without it? Or do we need more media in the world.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 05:18 AM
link   
In my opinion, it depends on what media. If you read independant newspapers and sites like ATS and read international newspapers online then your getting a broader view of the world. On ATS you get many different opinions in every thread abnd can make your own more informed desicion.

With mainstream news and press, and it's been that way since the Pulitzer and Hearst days, you get political and financial agenda and spin in every story. The Big news networks like MSNBC and the dreaded FOX are just like the mass controlled newspapers of 100 years ago. They put their own political slant on everything and are financially influenced.

The difference between today and 100 years ago is that today I can get many different sources of info from all over the world. I'm not just stuck with the Times and the Tribune's view on things. Also sensationalism was and always will be a big seller, things are overhyped to sell papers.

The sad thing is that today, just like 100 years ago people still believe everything they read and see on the news, That will never change. But I think media is needed. With the world becoming more of a global community you need to know what is going on, and people crave information, the internet is proof of this. The thing is you need to be smart enough to know where to look and how to seperate fact from fiction.

[edit on 28-2-2005 by Veltro]

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I agree - Can the media not be sued for preaching misleading/incorrect information?

join