It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suggestions for consoling a dog

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 07:07 PM
link   
So I get off work take the dogs in the back yard to play and 10 mins after we came in Imp apparently had a stroke, I didn't realize there was a problem till I heard a long drawn out whine.

Vet couldn't resuscitate so after me and the wife said good bye, we came home and the husky is racing all over the house searching for his little brother stopping next to each of us and whining.

we lost 2 cats earlier in the year, so he is familiar with the scent of death, and I am pretty sure Imp was dead before I got him loaded in the car and raced to the vet.

I am very concerned about the husky, he is very pack oriented and we lost 3 now in the last 12 months, all 3 he had lived with for close to 10 years.

Imp was a fantastic dog, only wanted to please and be loved gentle with the baby and very generous with showing affection to everyone he encountered, I honestly dont know how I am going to get to work tomorrow...

So long my friend I will see you again one day.

Brothers together almost every nap.

edit on 25-1-2019 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I have no suggestions.

But I offer my condolences.

Iv only have 1 dog in my life and she is 9.
I won’t go to work for a week.

Good luck. Time for a new pup?

a reply to: Irishhaf

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   

You shouldn't go to work tomorrow.

Let your fur kid know that you are still there.

A suggestion that has already been brought up, get another dog.

It worked for us.

You seem to be very attached to your pets... I am as well.

So sorry for your loss.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 07:35 PM
link   

I'm so sorry. So many of us know the pain... and the joy and love that preceded the pain.

Did you bring home Imp's collar? If so, let the husky see it and smell it, and he might pick up something. Talk to him, grieve with him, cry with him, as if he understands. Bond with him. Let him know he's still got his pack.

Good luck. Big hugs for all of you.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 07:40 PM
link   
A pack oriented dog needs a pack, so I think the new dog suggestion is sound, but he also needs to grieve. Make sure he's not alone for a while if you can manage it.

I am sorry for your loss. It's always hard to lose a family member like that.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 07:41 PM
link   
You could find him another buddy if that's something you can afford to do.

Also, try getting him a sweater that fits snugly. My dog has been crazy depressed since my dad died. It was really cold the other night so I pulled out her old sweater for extra warmth, but it seems to have stopped her crying for the time being. If I try to take it off, she resists; she used to hate the thing but now doesn't want to be without it.

I think I remember seeing some sort of weighted dog blankets that are supposed to help dogs that get scared during thunderstorms. It's at least worth a try.

Sorry for y'alls lose.

ETA: the original is called thundershirt but there are all sorts of offbrands now. I'm sure there are deals on Amazon. www.chewy.com... _term=&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhKviBRCNARIsAAGZ7CcglyebDCcMY0MXwB7C_5EU27-lHWnxR2TcHU4kOWzB8z_9rUpj2kMaApIUEALw_wcB
edit on 25-1-2019 by seaswine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 07:42 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 08:01 PM
link   
When our dog Twister died, I wrapped her in a sheet and left her on the back porch until I could bury her the next day.

Kona the boy dog dragged her inside.

The next day was tough, but we got over it. Well, the other dogs got over it. Seemingly, I never will.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 08:02 PM
link   
My sweet pup died suddenly three weeks ago-only hours before I had kidney surgery. So shocking. My other pup has received so much of our love since that I don't think he has really noticed he is alone.

That said, so sorry. Your remaining pup needs all the love you can give him and vice versa. Give yourselves all the time you need. So many here know the pain. Some things we just have to live through.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 08:05 PM
link   

My heart breaks for you mate. It's the main cost that us dog lovers have to go through knowing that our dogs, our family (our secret fur babies) will one day leave us long before we really want them to. The sad reality is that yes Dogs do feel the loss, it'll take a few days for the dog to become accustomed to the idea of not having his brother anymore although my personal advice is to let the dog lay with his brothers blanket, play with his toys etc. give the dog hugs and talk to him, tell him what happened, I know it sounds strange but as we all know dogs can tell what emotion you're going through and they also know when you're trying to be what they would consider friendly (consoling) it was advice I was given by a vet when my German Sheppard died suddenly at the age of thirteen (still miss the bugger lol) and left behind Midnight, my baby (I actually call out "Hello my sexy baby" when I come home lol she can't hear much anymore but the sheer excitement in her eyes brings tears to mine, she is so excited to see me. When we lost her brother Playboy (named for the logo not the mag) she knew something was missing and spent a while sniffing where we found him. I spoke to a vet who gave me the advice that I put above and said that just like humans it'll take time but with more love and hugs your remaining pet will soon move on, she won't forget (remember dogs memory is based on images, hearing and other senses including smell which they remember for years).

Also I can give you two additional pieces of advice that I did and maybe shouldn't have: 1 - Think hard about whether you should get another pet. I'm not talking right away but a puppy that both you and your fur baby can love together. It's strange because people or even you might think you're just replacing one dog for another and I promise you it isn't how it looks to dog lovers especially those of us who have multiple dogs (I have Midnight still, 16 and still going lol and two huskies) we got the huskies a month or so after we lost Playboy (dog) because there was this sense of missing from the house that needed to be filled and watching these puppies interact with a bigger dog not only makes you smile but will give even an aged dog like mine a rush of strength and fun and in some cases a new lease on life - 2 - Think carefully about not going into work. I'm not saying go the next day but when I lost mine I didn't go to work for almost a month, it nearly took me to the brink I say that because it's better to be around people so that you can both share in the memories and more importantly take your mind off of your loss. I know that sounds strange but a bereavement Councillor told me that locking myself away for so long was a mistake that it just leaves me wallowing in it.

I know this; ATS helps. Like I said I lost my dog suddenly, he went over night in his sleep (thankfully) it was horrible to wake to him but when I posted on here people came to my rescue like I didn't think possible. Last piece of advice: Take joy in knowing how well your dog lived, knew he was loved, knew he was a part of a happy family and most of all know that no matter what happens, no matter what people say the emotion you are feeling just shows how important your dog was to you and in a way he knew. I'm not a religious man but I used to and secretly still talk to Playboy every now and then (been about 4 or so years) just to make sure if he is about (dog ghost maybe) he knows I still love him and if he isn't about well then I just look like a crazy 33 year old guy talking to himself. My heart goes out to you mate. I hate it that we have to go through this and yet I would go through all the pain again if it means I get to have a dog around me because it's unconditional love like you cannot experience from any other living thing.

In short - It's a horrible thing we dog lovers have to go through, make sure you give your remaining dog all the care he can handle, let him smell the toys and blankets of his passed brother, put the blankets in their beds or wherever they slept and just let the emotions flow.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 08:05 PM
link   

I am so sorry for your loss. Your beautiful husky will eventually appreciate another dog being welcomed into the family. You received good advice in the replies above mine, so I will just leave you this lovely poem.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Part of the reason I won't work a full shift tomorrow is I'm a wreck, at one point we had 4 cats and 2 dogs. 3 cats and imp claimed me, we lost 2 of my cats and now imp.

Before my son was born they were our kids...

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Had the old cat die about a week ago. To tell the truth I thought it would kick the bucket some years ago, her sister died about 5 years ago, and the coons got her. Don't even know how old she was, but close to 20 yrs, or over. Yup she was so old that I forgot what her name was, there were two of them born from a littler kitty and snickers, right now dont even know which was which.

Now the dog is acting up, has fleas and wont stop biting himself, took him to a vet today. To tell the truth he is a spoiled little lazy brat who thinks he is people, and its a chore to get him to do anything. Its not fun dragging a kicking and squirmy 120 pound little bullmastiff to get a bath, when he does not want to, which is all the time.

But if he died, it would suck.
edit on 8pmFridaypm252019f5pmFri, 25 Jan 2019 20:35:50 -0600 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Hey mate not sure where you live but you could try organic pure hemp extract for large breed dogs. It won't cure him of his pack mentality as that is inbred in all dogs but it has been shown to be successful at helping curb the anxiety in dogs.

Based upon the size of your husky the 100MG droplet bottle seems appropriate but check with your local vet first. Many friends of mine who have to leave their pups during the day have used the hemp oil with good results.

Here is an article you might find helpful: www.petmd.com...

Good luck mate.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Sorry to hear about your pup and your cats... My pups and cats are family to me, too. It's hard. I'd definitely take the day off and spend time with his brother. Just chill and give him some love. I just lost my cat who was the most loving kitty I've ever met. 16 years old. He would take turns cuddling with everyone in the house. Again I'm sorry to hear about your losses. I would look into getting a new buddy for him.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 09:03 PM
link   

I'm so sorry for your loss. That sucks.

The searching thing is normal. I'd suggest spending as much time with your dog as you can, even having it on the bed with you. Treats help, too, but don't overdo it.

I found this. I hope it helps.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Take him for a long drive and let him hang his head out the window. They get 'high' from it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 09:54 PM
link   

I am so sorry for your furkid losses....you and your Husky both need to grieve.
It's an important process, IMHO.

Huskies are different kinds of dogs in my opinion, and we've had two over the years.
They HATE to be alone, and I would think moreso now.

I truly believe at some point, another dog will be in your future.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Stay with him as much as you can, also this might help, I know its odd, but it works for my dog when her anxiety is running crazy especially with things like fireworks and separation anxiety

Its a tie up.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Tskr him for an unleashed walk

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join