It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Captain Obvious: DOJ Study Finds Criminals Don't Use Legal Firearms

page: 1

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 02:25 PM
link   
So the Department of Justice conducted a study where they survey almost 300,000 prisoners and the discovered that criminals don't typically get their guns through legal means. GTFOH! Really? No sh*t? Whowuddathunk? I mean I just knew criminals bought their guns legally. This study is unprecedented. Sarcasm off..

Of course the conclusion of this study has been obvious to anyone with at least a double digit IQ since the gun debate has raged. Gun laws only affect law abiding citizens and will have zero effect on criminal use. All one has to do is just look at gun violence in most urban Democrat run cities and you can draw that same conclusion. Tough gun laws and yet gun crime still rages...

Here is a link to the actual study...

DOJ Gun Study

Some highlights to show the stupidity of the left when it comes to gun control....

Around 287,000 prisoners had a firearm during the commission of their crime...

Less than 2% obtained a gun from a retail source...

I can list more, but it would just be rubbing salt in the wound.... read the study yourself.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
So the Department of Justice conducted a study where they survey almost 300,000 prisoners and the discovered that criminals don't typically get their guns through legal means. GTFOH! Really? No sh*t? Whowuddathunk? I mean I just knew criminals bought their guns legally. This study is unprecedented. Sarcasm off..

Of course the conclusion of this study has been obvious to anyone with at least a double digit IQ since the gun debate has raged. Gun laws only affect law abiding citizens and will have zero effect on criminal use. All one has to do is just look at gun violence in most urban Democrat run cities and you can draw that same conclusion. Tough gun laws and yet gun crime still rages...

DOJ Gun Study

Some highlights to show the stupidity of the left when it comes to gun control....

I can list more, but it would just be rubbing salt in the wound.... read the study yourself.

10% of criminals who used a gun obtained it from a retail source. The 2 % is of all prisoners.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 02:50 PM
link   
But I wan't my second,fourth,fifth,sixth,eighth amendment violated!

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Sounds like you could use three more Second Amendments.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

DOJ Gun Study

10% of criminals who used a gun obtained it from a retail source. The 2 % is of all prisoners.

You may be right, however; it is still a relatively small number. The study doesn't really go into detail if buying a retail includes straw buyers purchasing the weapons. It did mention in one spot that like 6.9% bought under their own name.

Regardless, the point still stands though that the vast majority of criminals do not obtain their weapons legally and therefore gun laws will do little to stop crime.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Keep in mind that those prisoners who stated they got them from a “retail” source likely misrepresented themselves on ATF Form 4473 at the time of purchase. Or had someone straw purchase the firearm(s) for them, also a crime.

Not all of them, but I suspect a good portion.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 03:26 PM
link   

DOJ Gun Study

You may be right, however; it is still a relatively small number. The study doesn't really go into detail if buying a retail includes straw buyers purchasing the weapons. It did mention in one spot that like 6.9% bought under their own name.

Regardless, the point still stands though that the vast majority of criminals do not obtain their weapons legally and therefore gun laws will do little to stop crime.

Gun laws only reduce gun crime if they reduce the availability of guns. If you make it significantly more difficult to get guns then you reduce the number of crimes and by extension injuries and deaths resulting from then.

Background checks, waiting period etc will have little impact. Sadly gun laws have to be pretty strict to have much impact. If that's the right thing to do or not is a subjective judgement.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Lab4Us

Page 8 on the link has some numbers on that.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   

DOJ Gun Study

Gun laws only reduce gun crime if they reduce the availability of guns. If you make it significantly more difficult to get guns then you reduce the number of crimes and by extension injuries and deaths resulting from then.

Background checks, waiting period etc will have little impact. Sadly gun laws have to be pretty strict to have much impact. If that's the right thing to do or not is a subjective judgement.

This is demonstrably false. Cities with some of the most restrictive gun laws still have sky high gun crime. Here in Chicago, the gun laws have done nothing to stop the day to day gun violence as the criminals are not using legal firearms. All that happens is that law abiding citizens are unable to get a firearm hence why we had McDonald vs Chicago at the Supreme Court....

In the 2010 case McDonald v. City of Chicago, Chicago resident Otis McDonald, a 76-year-old (in 2010) retired maintenance engineer, had lived in the Morgan Park neighborhood since buying a house there in 1971.[7] McDonald decried the decline of his neighborhood, describing it as being taken over by gangs and drug dealers. His lawn was regularly littered with refuse and his home and garage had been broken into a combined five times, with the most recent robbery committed by a man McDonald recognized from his own neighborhood.[7] An experienced hunter, McDonald legally owned shotguns, but believed them too unwieldy in the event of a robbery, and wanted to purchase a handgun for personal home defense. Due to Chicago's requirement that all firearms in the city be registered, yet refusing all handgun registrations after 1982 when a citywide handgun ban was passed, he was unable to legally own a handgun. As a result, in 2008, he joined three other Chicago residents in filing a lawsuit which became McDonald v. Chicago.[7]

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   

DOJ Gun Study

This is demonstrably false. Cities with some of the most restrictive gun laws still have sky high gun crime. Here in Chicago, the gun laws have done nothing to stop the day to day gun violence as the criminals are not using legal firearms. All that happens is that law abiding citizens are unable to get a firearm hence why we had McDonald vs Chicago at the Supreme Court....

In the 2010 case McDonald v. City of Chicago, Chicago resident Otis McDonald, a 76-year-old (in 2010) retired maintenance engineer, had lived in the Morgan Park neighborhood since buying a house there in 1971.[7] McDonald decried the decline of his neighborhood, describing it as being taken over by gangs and drug dealers. His lawn was regularly littered with refuse and his home and garage had been broken into a combined five times, with the most recent robbery committed by a man McDonald recognized from his own neighborhood.[7] An experienced hunter, McDonald legally owned shotguns, but believed them too unwieldy in the event of a robbery, and wanted to purchase a handgun for personal home defense. Due to Chicago's requirement that all firearms in the city be registered, yet refusing all handgun registrations after 1982 when a citywide handgun ban was passed, he was unable to legally own a handgun. As a result, in 2008, he joined three other Chicago residents in filing a lawsuit which became McDonald v. Chicago.[7]

That would be true if Chicago had border checkpoints.

It used to be the case that Scotland had much less strict marriage laws that England. Guess what all the in love/ randy teenagers from England used to do. There was one horse towns near the border that had whole economies round marrying English teenagers.

As I said gun laws that don't actually reduce access to guns don't work. If you can bring in guns with no practical restriction from a neighbouring state it makes no difference what gun laws you pass.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

Bull CRAP.

Prohibition NEVER worked.

Didn't work for alcohol.

Didn't work for DRUGS.

And no ILLEGAL gun has been used in mass shootings.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: ScepticScot

Bull CRAP.

Prohibition NEVER worked.

Didn't work for alcohol.

Didn't work for DRUGS.

And no ILLEGAL gun has been used in mass shootings.

Prohibition reduced alcohol consumption dramatically. Medical problems related to alcohol also dramatically reduced. From standpoint of did it do what it was meant to prohibition was a clear success. The arguments against it are mainly moral ones, is it right to regulate people's choices to that degree.

Same with drugs, countries with laxer drugs laws have higher drugs usage.

Mass shooting, while individually tragic, are a tiny % of gun deaths in the US. Also not sure how claiming no illegal gun has been used is an argument against gun laws?

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 04:30 PM
link   
How stupid. This makes about as much sense as studying deer to see if they cross at Deer Crossing signs on the highway.

I wonder how much money and time was spent on this study.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 09:56 PM
link   

a reply to: Lab4Us

Page 8 on the link has some numbers on that.

In reviewing page 8, I see no reporting on prisoners being asked if they lied on their 4473.

All a moot point really, I have zero intention of ever supporting law abiding citizens being forcibly disarmed while criminals are allowed to freely, and unlawfully, possess guns. When you can assure me all those in the US with criminal intent (or illegally possessing a gun) have been disarmed, we can perhaps start a discussion. Perhaps if authorities would get a handle on the bangers, the shootings would significantly decrease?

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Hehe.

Another fun stat. 100% of criminals who are never caught can't be a statistic.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Glad to know this is yet another DOJ is wasting our hard earned money. You have Americans struggling, starving and dying in the streets while fat cats in big government agencies blow likely millions of dollars out of your pocket for a study to tell us what everyone with even a 1/100th of a brain already knew

Contrary to bull # leftist talking points, fake "facts" and complicit media, no one of any substance pays their alternative "gun facts" any mind
edit on 1/25/2019 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join