It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your best job quitting story

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 01:56 PM
link   
www.npr.org...

This is such a good article. It talks about how there are a lot of jobs now, and it has given people the power to not accept jobs and quit ones easier than in the past. It delves more into how they are doing it, by ghosting, but the end result is the same. The lifeguard one is awesome!! Go lifeguard!

My quitting story. Let just say I worked for what most would consider a Big evil company. We were paid incredibly well. It was well known once you quit/left it was almost impossible to come back. I absolutely hated my group except for one lone coworker. We often commiserated. I hated every single second I was there. It was the most toxic work environment I ever experienced. I had enough corporate experience to know what was normal and what wasn't . This place was off the charts unethical, depressing, evil.

I had to go on unplanned medical leave. While I was gone I found out through a friend from a different department, but that worked with ours that they were saving up a ton of work for my return. I confirmed with my close coworker, it was true. My medical leave was for 6 months. Can you imagine a department just leaving that to pile up instead of assigning it to others in the group? I can, because I worked with a clique that had each others back. They were lazy as the days are long.

The nature of my job was not something that could necessarily wait either. We worked in an environment that was regulated. They were basically setting me up for failure and fault as soon as I returned. The most hilarious part, they all expected me to return. All of them except my close coworker. They were 100% counting on it. For whatever bizarre reason, they thought I relied on that job, I didn't. For the young folk, please take note, always have something in your side pocket (you can thank me later)

The most satisfying moment was telling them that I was not coming back and if HR wanted an exit interview I'd be happy to oblige. Shock, absolute shock, then anger. I used up my vacation as my two weeks notice. The only thing that made it even more satisfying if that is even possible, is that my very close coworker quit exactly one week after I did! It has been dozens of years since that happened and to this day we still laugh about it!

I never regretted the way that went down. I consider myself an above average employee. I have bent over backwards for good employers/managers. I gave my last boss a months notice and still helped well after I left and wasn't getting paid.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I worked at a company that made custom motorhomes on bus chassis.
Literally million dollar motorhomes.

One day the big wigs called a meeting and the head honcho started yelling at everyone in the room. I said , why are you yelling at us?, no call for that.

He said if you dont like it you can leave but dont bother coming back.

I said, ok.
Stood up and walked out the door.
By the time I got to the time clock 18 other guys followed me. There was only about 25 total working there....

The owner called everyone that night and asked us to return to work the next day.
Never did see that manager again.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I love that the owner recognized the managers error in behavior. How many came back?

BTW. that actually sounds like a totally cool job!

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Everyone returned.
The job was great but there were management issues that ultimately bankrupted the company.

Here is a link to another company that does the same thing.

www.marathoncoach.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Everyone returned.
The job was great but there were management issues that ultimately bankrupted the company.

Here is a link to another company that does the same thing.

www.marathoncoach.com...

this is so over the top, but I love this one!!

www.marathoncoach.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I worked for a manufacturing company as a technical writer, videographer and photographer plus was part of the Quality Control team which took up all of my work time in the day. Then I noticed that additional work was being given to a female engineer while the male engineers simply refused the extra load, but because she was a new employee she just didn't protest. Then after five years management decided that I didn't have enough to do so they tried to add on administrative duties, of which, I refused. So then a sort of harassment by management began in various forms so I decided not to quit but to have them fire me so I could collect unemployment, so I began to sabotage my position there.

I had a meeting with the owner and told him that effective immediately I resign from the Quality Control team because the workload from that position had increased substantially that it was impacting my efficiency on the job I was actually hired to do, and any administrative tasks asked of me I would simply not do. It worked and when the owner fired me I said "thank you, now I am free to find a good job"(which I did paying $7 more per hour).

They wanted me to do the work of three people and when I went on to their website some time after that they had hired a male technical writer to do just that one job.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Maybe the only actual time I quit a job was back in 1988. Working for a residential /light commercial HVAC company. I had applied to the Sheet Metal Workers Union probably 9 months prior...

The Union hall called me on ,let's say a monday night (I really don't remember) and said I start work Wed. I said that doesnt give much notice to my employer... he said we don't care....

I went in to work the next day pretty freaking happy and told the boss this is my last day... went from $4.25 to $8.01 and now at 31 or 32.56 an hour...another 1.25 coming May 1

Now I did quit the last job I was on... but gave them like a months notice that I was going to our state Capitol job, which I am on now...

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Fun. I worked at a call center that was doing E-Harmony customer service. The stories I could tell. But corporate would actually call me every day and troll me. It screwed up my call handle time, and they would force me to fix things on my end so they could break them on their end in order to see how I responded. Not even slightly cool. But, I had no way to retaliate.

So this poor guy (assistant supervisor) calls me over to do my weekly customer service roleplaying session, and I troll him like corporate was trolling me. He had a meltdown. I laughed in his face and quit. He got fired. It was a good day for me.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 10:30 PM
link   

One job, on my last day after a 2 week notice, I listened to this song the entire day at work in a loop:

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 10:51 PM
link   
The company I worked for called a meeting of all the employees to explain how we were having financial difficulties and that we would deal with it by moving the pay week. This essentially meant losing a day's pay that week and getting paid for it when we finally quit. The guy delivering our little talk also managed the finances but had somehow managed to buy himself a nice, new truck. (find out years later he was embezzling).

Anyhow at the end of his explanation for why were going to be cheated of a day's wages he asked "any questions?". Me being me said "Yeah, are we getting dicked?". He was also overweight and his face lit as red a barn on fire. Wasn't long after that I was fired so maybe it wasn't quitting per se but I still ended up jobless for a while over it.
edit on 25-1-2019 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-1-2019 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Not my quitting story but still a good one.

Tornadoes and large hail was hitting at a certain airport where the Citation Jet was based out of. The pilot landed and Willey Post airport in Oklahoma city. It was night time around 21:00 hours and the whole western sky was lit by lightening flashes. I had just landed myself and was inside the visitors area.

The pilot of the Citation came in and close on his heals was the boss/guy who owned the company airplane. He was known by most all of the Corporate pilots as a total ass and he was giving his pilot a good cussing out which ended with, " I hired you to get me to my GD airport not sit on my ass here !"

The pilot replied, "Sir there is a tornado on the ground and hail beating the crap out of cars and buildings at you airport!"

"I do not give a GD you got radar and I am paying you to fly the GD airplane!"

The pilot walked over to the counter and called a taxi to come and pick him up. This really set the boss off and it looked like there was going to be some serious violence. The Boss was an X-cop who had made big bucks with an oil field service company.. This was the early 80s and if you had connections there was money to be had.

"What to hell do you expect me to do if you leave?"

"Fly the GD airplane yourself, said the pilot as he walked outside to wait for his taxi.

"That MF will never work in this town again," said loud enough hoping the pilot would hear him.. The Boss was drunk or just mentally deficient..probably both IMO after hearing many stories about the idiot.

I do not remember much after that other than the boss and others spent the night in a hotel and the pilot had a new job within a month.. Oh the Boss and his company went bankrupt I think it was 84.. He lost everything to include his trophy wife !!
edit on 727thk19 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 11:38 PM
link   
When I was a teenager, I caddied at a snooty private golf club the next town over. Mostly it was OK, once it a while I'd get a real dick to caddie for the 18 holes, but the tips usually made up for the aggravation. But the last one was the worst. He not only yelled and belittled me in front of the other caddies, but the other golfers, LOUDLY. I would look the other way while he cheated moving his ball out of a difficult shot more than once. Yet he still treated me like scat.

On (I think) the 8th hole he threw a club at me when he missed an approach shot, overshooting the green by like 5 yards, then yelling at me that I gave him the wrong club (truth is, he just sucked, period). Well, during play on the Par 5 9th hole I decided I was not taking this anymore, especially when he was clearly not going to tip me at all. Since the 9th hole was the furthest out back, before the return of 10-18 back to the clubhouse, it was the perfect time. On the 5th fairway stroke (yes, 5th and still on the fairway) he hooked it into the deep grass on the left, well short of the green. He ordered me to go find his #$%#$% ball, while he sauntered over to his buddies, asking why he had to get the broken caddie.

Searching through the grass, I found his ball, and.....a few others. So....I took his ball and pocketed it. I bent down and rolled one of the other balls I found so the label was down. I stood up and called to him that I found it! All he had to say was,"it's about time, what are you blind AND stupid?"

He walked over, chipped the ball out onto the fairway, and another shot had him on the green, none the wiser that he was now playing the wrong ball. He was the last one to sink his putt of the group. I was called over to retrieve his ball from the hole. As I picked it up, I made a point to say loudly for his entire group to hear. "Sir, this is not your ball, are you blind AND stupid?" At that point I pulled out the ball from my pocket and said, "oh, sir, I think this is your ball, and this is your bag (as I dropped it on the green), and this is me leaving....oh, and you can keep the tip, I quit!!"

I walked off the course.....loving the sound of his shouting for me to return as his group of guys were telling him he must concede that hole according to the rules of play".

Doing that felt soooooooooo good, I enjoy it even 35 years later.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

I hope he was playing for big bucks and lost his A$$ !

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
a reply to: Krakatoa

I hope he was playing for big bucks and lost his A$$ !

They always do at these private golf clubs.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

2 week notices can't really count, right?

top topics

join