It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone else tired of self checkout lanes?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:22 PM
link   
So I was at the grocery store and had a decent sized cart full of stuff. This is a larger grocery store. They had exactly one cashier open. One!
All the rest were self checkouts.

Normally I would use the self checkout lanes but they are so buggy lately. Last time I was there every other item got flagged.
When there is a light item, it never recognizes it. Then you have to wait for someone to come key in some codes to override it. There must be some thefts because I noticed they have more security when leaving the store.

I'm all for AI, self driving cars, drone delivery, but maybe some things just shouldn't be automated, like grocery checkout.

Self checkout has been available for a while, it really hasn't gotten better. I say they need to greatly improve the experience or ditch it.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Yea i always wondered why they couldn't just setup existing lanes to be used instead. Make the scanning module able to flip sides and you're set. Hate having no room to process through 2 weeks of groceries and get it bagged up.

link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
So I was at the grocery store and had a decent sized cart full of stuff. This is a larger grocery store. They had exactly one cashier open. One!
All the rest were self checkouts.

Normally I would use the self checkout lanes but they are so buggy lately. Last time I was there every other item got flagged.
When there is a light item, it never recognizes it. Then you have to wait for someone to come key in some codes to override it. There must be some thefts because I noticed they have more security when leaving the store.

I'm all for AI, self driving cars, drone delivery, but maybe some things just shouldn't be automated, like grocery checkout.

Self checkout has been available for a while, it really hasn't gotten better. I say they need to greatly improve the experience or ditch it.

I used one once, like 5 years ago. I don't use them, I'll wait in the human cashier line, even with like 4 things.

I just don't like them and it's not for lack of technical knowledge.

link   

Oh hell no.
I love self check lanes just so I don't have to talk to the morons running the registers.
Walmart has great self check lanes.
They don't weigh the products after you scan them.
The only time I need to talk to a human is when I buy beer.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Oh hell no.
I love self check lanes just so I don't have to talk to the morons running the registers.

I love them when they work!

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I like the self checkouts when I only have a basketful or less of items. I've never seen a self checkout that has space in the bagging area for more than a dozen items. During one shopping trip, there were no live cashiers, only self checks, and I had an entire cart filled with groceries. It was a major pain to get through that one.

You're right though, they can be super annoying when something goes wrong, or it scans something more than once or gets bugged up and freezes. Usually the workers they have supervising the self checks aren't the most energetic OR observant, so you have to practically jump up and down while screaming to get them to come and help.

It would be so easy to steal when using them, too. More than once I've thought "All I'd have to do is toss this in the bag before scanning." I never have, lol, but I am sure there are people out there who have taken advantage of that.

So, I'm neutral on them, I guess. It does make me sad when I think that they are taking jobs away from actual humans, though.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Oh hell no.

Hmm, actually the self checkout at the liquor store might be a good thing.

Then I wouldn't feel like I'm being judged when I'm buying a 100 dollars worth of craft beer......two days after I just did the same.

STOP JUDGING ME CHECKOUT HUMANSSSSS!!!!!

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Oh hell no.

Even Jesus walked among his disciples.

Think of it less as "having to talk" and more like them getting to bask in your knowledge and presence.

At least that's the way I think of it, sure I'd rather not be bothered, but why deny them the highlight of their week....basking in my glory....if even for a few seconds.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

ID be happy if they would just master a toothbrush......

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   

I personally love them. I usually shop around 3-5am and use the self checkout. Easy in, easy out and best of all, no people-ing!

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:43 PM
link   

ID be happy if they would just master a toothbrush......

Don't be such an elitist, nothing wrong with leaving a little flavor on the palette for later.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Sometimes i'd just rather not have the cashier see all the weird stuff i buy.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:45 PM
link   

I hate self checkouts they bloody hate me and refuse to work for me and make me very very angry

almost as bad as a store in the UK called LIDL who have bagging counters that hold 6 items max and are very frustrating to use .

You get what you pay for it seems

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:47 PM
link   

I like them, but I only shop for myself, so never a full cart.

I like it because I bag it according to how I'm gonna put it away at home.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: booyakasha

Nobody is looking at your enema, cucumber, coconut oil and adult coloring book.

But on a serious note, once I was checking out and got tofu.
Well people in Wisconsin don't know what tofu is and the cashier started poking it and asked and
made a disgusted face. I was really ticked at that.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:50 PM
link   

That's another good point.

One time I got bleach, duck tape, lye, rope, and trash bags....

You da though I whipped out my Richard and slapped it on the conveyor.

I got the weirdest look when I asked for her phone number to put in the kroger plus field to get the discounts.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

That's another good point.

One time I got bleach, duck tape, lye, rope, and trash bags....

You da though I whipped out my Richard and slapped it on the conveyor.

I got the weirdest look when I asked for her phone number to put in the kroger plus field to get the discounts.

That's the best part, it's fun messing with them.

Bought some duct tape, trash bags and a shovel the other day. Girl at the counter looked at me with a weird look. I asked her what did she have planned for this evening and if she would like to join me for a long walk in the woods.......

Usually good for a laugh but she said yes and gave me her number...

Threw the number out.....think I dodged a bullet on that one(she was a redhead).

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Threw the number out.....think I dodged a bullet on that one(she was a redhead).

I think she dodged the bullet man....

Or shovel.....

I don't know how sick you are.... Lol.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 08:01 PM
link   

she was a redhead)

She must have been the daftest woman on the planet

I think i weed myself reading that DEX

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

Oh hell no.

Hmm, actually the self checkout at the liquor store might be a good thing.

Then I wouldn't feel like I'm being judged when I'm buying a 100 dollars worth of craft beer......two days after I just did the same.

STOP JUDGING ME CHECKOUT HUMANSSSSS!!!!!

Oh yeah. I felt bad every time I had to get a clerk to open the liquor cabinet every couple nights. It was a huge struggle for them to find the key and jiggle that lock open.

But I wasn't leaving without that Remy Martin.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join